• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Brighton & Hove Albion 0

Recommended Posts

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Quite frankly, mate, you need to cut this rubbish out of your posts, There's really no need for it - people have different opinions, and share them here. That's all there is to it.

Ok Michael.  We'll tone it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
4 hours ago, chelboy said:

To be honest I am not sure Arsenal have a better team than anyone in the top 6. They are the worst on paper. I don’t think United or Spurs have a better squad than us either we are pretty much equal with them.    Only Liverpool and City are different from the rest. I would not take any of Liverpool’s midfielders only the back 5 and wingers. City I would take the entire team. 

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a player for player comparison that proves that our team is inferior to Spurs'.  Don't hold your breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I thought that was a lot better than recent games (after wondering whether it was just a case of getting the first goal).

There was an urgency from the start that we haven't seen recently until we have gone behind.  A number of potential reasons - some I have pinched from other posters
So perhaps:

  • Christensen/Luiz being a better platform to play from
  • Giroud being a better target man/ focal point
  • Emerson's runs forward being more effective than Alonso' being static further up
  • Hazard/CHO vs Pedro/Willian (though we haven't always been that great with Hazard either)

But for me the biggest points were

  • Jorginho had a terrific game, playing the vertical ball and half a dozen chips into the box that might easily have lead to goals for Kante, CHO or Giroud.
  • RLC >>>> Barkley - I was more impress by what RLC did not screw up than what he did - the amount of single touch passes where he achieved little but lost no momentum
  • Kante was excellent - again unsophisticated first time passes are a lot more useful than holding, looking around, and finding the oppo are all in position kind of possess we get from Barkley and Kovacic.

Still not convinced about RLC.  Relative to hype, he is the most disappointing one of the 3 No 8s.  It is still the most obvious role to bring in a better player in.  But his rivals have played themselves out of the team now.
I felt really sorry for the Brighton LB, every time he took the ball off CHO or Hazard, he found Kante taking it straight back off him.  Kante really must be a very frustrating player to play against.  Brighton didn't so much struggle in defence, just simply found it impossible to play out of their own half (or even third most of the time).

CHO is being brought on brilliantly.  Young wingers usually play with the same instructions as CHO, wait out wide and provide an option.  And that works fine against weaker teams or when we need a goal and need to commit people forward.  CHO does seem more than ready for that role - with this game being a big step in that direction.
Whether he is ready for the more all around AM role that Pedro or Willian mostly play is to be seen. That requires being involved with the midfield play and a much more complex set of decisions.  My guess is he will remain a wide man not a complete AM for this season and much of next.   Still good progress.

Is Ground better than Higuain.  Not convinced.  But I do know that pre January when Morata not Higuain was his rival, Giroud was not making those runs to the near post that got him his goal today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

But for me the biggest points were

  • Jorginho had a terrific game, playing the vertical ball and half a dozen chips into the box that might easily have lead to goals for Kante, CHO or Giroud.

This was the biggest difference for me. I thought he was superb and my man of the match.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:
  • RLC >>>> Barkley - I was more impress by what RLC did not screw up than what he did - the amount of single touch passes where he achieved little but lost no momentum

Certainly he's better than Barkley and Kovacic in that role. I thought he did ok, brilliant goal,  worked hard and kept the ball well. He really needs to take his chance now though, he will never have a better chance of becoming a first team regular for us than right now.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:
  • Kante was excellent - again unsophisticated first time passes are a lot more useful than holding, looking around, and finding the oppo are all in position kind of possess we get from Barkley and Kovacic.

Kante was just, well Kante. he's was brilliant, as he has been all season. Funny I can't remember the last time anyone mentioned he was being played out of position. Gone very quiet on that front.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
9 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a player for player comparison that proves that our team is inferior to Spurs'.  Don't hold your breath.

Well, couple of things........

1. they are only a point ahead and

2. where they are no doubt better than us is in attack. Kane has 25+ league goals in each of his last 3 seasons. having a player that does that makes life a helluva a lot easier. Last time we had a striker with simialr numbers, we won the league twice in three seasons. Without one, we have struggled. It's not rocket science 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well, couple of things........

1. they are only a point ahead and

2. where they are no doubt better than us is in attack. Kane has 25+ league goals in each of his last 3 seasons. having a player that does that makes life a helluva a lot easier. Last time we had a striker with simialr numbers, we won the league twice in three seasons. Without one, we have struggled. It's not rocket science 

.., nor is it rocket science  that strikers have never solved a problem that is not caused by them. Sarri seems to have now learned that. He has already poured water on the thought of keeping Higuain past this season. No one is singing hallelujah anymore about the arrival of Higuain,  apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

.., nor is it rocket science  that strikers have never solved a problem that is not caused by them. Sarri seems to have now learned that. He has already poured water on the thought of keeping Higuain past this season. No one is singing hallelujah anymore about the arrival of Higuain,  apparently.

? Quoted today he’d like Higuain to stay beyond this season. 

Anyhow, I’m sure you dragged the same bs about before when we had other misfiring strikers. Sometimes all it takes is a proper striker and the problems disappears... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
17 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

? Quoted today he’d like Higuain to stay beyond this season. 

Anyhow, I’m sure you dragged the same bs about before when we had other misfiring strikers. Sometimes all it takes is a proper striker and the problems disappears... 

So what  is the logic behind Higuain staying beyond this season? Sarri is happy with his performance then? Striker problem solved? Or has Sarri realised that the problem is beyond strikers?. If Sarri is happy with Higuain why are you still going on about striker being the cause of our goal problem? Don't let Sarri's confusion get to you. Keep your sense of logic. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.