• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Frank Lampard Sacked As Chelsea Head Coach

I wont pretend to know too much about Tuchel but he did take Mainz to 5th in the Bundesliga,  Dortmund from 7th to 2nd and 3rd before he went to PSG and at the time was seen as one of the best young managers in the world.

It's easy to look at what he did at PSG, winning the league in both seasons and getting to the champions league final, for the first time in his their history,  and claim anyone would do it but its what he did before that which is impressive.

58 minutes ago, JaneB said:

First club to sack a black manager.
First club to sack a woman doctor.
And now first club to sack a living legend.

50 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

This might be unfair, but I can't help but think Frank might look back on having Jody as his number 2 as an error.

I think he will regret not having that calming, experienced No2 to call upon at times. Steve Clarke, Steve Holland etc etc. It didn't have to be an ex Chelsea man, but it would have been a huge asset to him.

Whether it is covid distancing on the bench, or different TV angles with no crowd, I don't know, but Frank seemed to be not listening during matches so much to Jody this season.

46 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

With all due respect, the youth team that Jody managed played some really quality football, something that we haven't seen under Lampard. Jody also won something. I think it is rather unfair to blame Jody for Lampard's failure. As coaching goes, Jody has a lot more experience than Lampard.

He had vastly superior players to rival teams.  It was more like Womens football in the gap between 2 or 3 clubs and the rest.

What he had no experience of is the close nature of a top PL game, or corner routines where the in your fact contact is closer to an NFL scrimmage than  one on one competed headers, of the tactical issues of hanging on to a 1-0 lead when your AM doesn't want to track back, and of dealing with real egos.
I'm sure he is great at getting players to use both feet or improving their first touch.

As far as top level football goes, Jody has no experience, 

chelboy   

I don’t think recruitment is something the board and Lamps clashed over. I think our recruitment has been one of the best in a very long time. Where I think the board let Lamps down was not making the squad smaller. There are many average players that should have been moved on long ago that are still hanging around this club. Giving a rookie manager such a big squad to handle and many experienced players being phased out will only make it harder. From reading Matt Law article it sounds like there is deeper politics in this squad than we might know and the board are responsible for allowing it to become such a big squad without selling or loaning players the manager didn’t want.

It will be interesting to see what goes on with Tuchel but if he’s smart he would cut down his team to players that he wants quickly and make it clear to the board who’s in and who’s out. To think that Tuchel wanted both Jorginho and Rudiger at PSG will probably mean both players walk into his team. Midfield is where he has the most interesting decisions to make. 

JaneB   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

First club to sack a black manager.
First club to sack a woman doctor.
And now first club to sack a living legend.

Please give it a rest. I’m not in the mood for your sneering sarcasm. You’ve got what you wanted so give us a break from your smug ‘cleverness’ 😡

Sir   

IF Tuchel does come in (reported by the BBC) will be interesting to see if it’s a ‘until the end of the season’ job.. I still would love Diego Simeone here, and I feel that could be entirely possible as well for next season.

1 minute ago, JaneB said:

Please give it a rest. I’m not in the mood for your sneering sarcasm. You’ve got what you wanted so give us a break from your smug ‘cleverness’ 😡

Particularly when Newcastle sacked Shearer , Liverpool , Souness and Dalglish  etc etc etc

4 hours ago, JaneB said:

Much worse things to get worked up about today, but why do you call her Granny?

No way I don't think.  That was just Frank saying goodbye.

It is because it is easier to spell than Granovskaia.

4 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Man or woman - you should be judged on your results.

She has been an abject failure. The amount of money we have spent, the number of managers we have fired and the current state of the organization...

Her "leadership" has been pathetic and there is no accountability on her part. We have slipped tremendously down the table and in terms of standing in this league. 

I hadn't really thought of it like that. If you do look at us from 2003-13 to now (she took up her role in 2013 or 14, I think?), things have gone downhill. Whether that is her fault is another matter as we do not know how much power Roman gives her. 

3 hours ago, JaneB said:

Doh, of course 🙄 

I’m so angry I’m jumping on anything atm ☹️

Just out of interest, what did you think I was implying? 

10 minutes ago, SS_89 said:

Bingo it was reversing a decision that was made out of no other options 18 months ago. I was tepid on his initial appointment as he'd taken a derby side that finished 5th in the previous season to 5th again and only had 1 year experience of managing. First season due to the transfer ban I gave him a pass but wasn't overly impressed with how we played, looked like we lacked a clear gameplan and identity (aside from playing youth being the identity) but hoped with some proper talent coming in we'd maybe see the fruits this season. All I saw this season was more of the same and a complete downward spiral of which there didn't look to be much light at the end of the tunnel. 

I absolutely love the guy as a player but nothing about his career to date as a manager screamed winner at me. It's still early days and maybe in 5 to 10 years he will be back at the top level and competing for the top honours but Chelsea was right place wrong time this time round. 

Yes.  If he had been an Academy player he'd have been asked to play another year in the Championship before we made our mind up about the next step.

3 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I don’t think recruitment is something the board and Lamps clashed over. I think our recruitment has been one of the best in a very long time. Where I think the board let Lamps down was not making the squad smaller. There are many average players that should have been moved on long ago that are still hanging around this club. Giving a rookie manager such a big squad to handle and many experienced players being phased out will only make it harder. From reading Matt Law article it sounds like there is deeper politics in this squad than we might know and the board are responsible for allowing it to become such a big squad without selling or loaning players the manager didn’t want.

It will be interesting to see what goes on with Tuchel but if he’s smart he would cut down his team to players that he wants quickly and make it clear to the board who’s in and who’s out. To think that Tuchel wanted both Jorginho and Rudiger at PSG will probably mean both players walk into his team. Midfield is where he has the most interesting decisions to make. 

Actually I think the club did its best to keep these players out of Lampard's area of responsibility.  They train with the U23s (across the security wall, different covid bubble, different car park).  Most are out on loan, probably not covering their wages.  With the exception of Alonso and CB5 - both made redundant by late October acquisitions, Lampard has a trim squad.  

1 minute ago, JaneB said:

There was a point in there.
The club appointed him in the first place.  It didn't work out, but no one is accusing the club of not backing him.
Just as the club ought to have been praised for hiring a black manager and a female doctor, surely right now it should be praised for giving him a chance (at least by those that felt he deserved it).  Blaming the club right now seems inappropriate.

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Lampard's?

For not picking players in their best position. Same with Werner. 

Right. It is the position's fault the player misses 1 on 1 chances and misses penalty kicks. Surely that must be due to the position he's being played.

I would buy it... except I heard it before re: Morata, Torres, Zhirkov, Bakayoko and all the other flops.

Like I said, if Werner and Havertz suddenly show up then questions need to be asked about their professionalism and they deserve blame for the firing of a club LEGEND.

10 minutes ago, Sir said:

IF Tuchel does come in (reported by the BBC) will be interesting to see if it’s a ‘until the end of the season’ job.. I still would love Diego Simeone here, and I feel that could be entirely possible as well for next season.

Personally, I find it slightly bizarre we have gone for him. I had ruled him out as he ticks virtually every box that you can imagine the club wants to avoid. That said, I cannot see Simeone, he is too savvy to take us on as he will know reputation means nothing here and at best you'll max out at around 3 years. Dippers, City or Utd after Kloop/Pep/Ole seems more likely.