• Current Donation Goals

Codger   
20 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I have changed your group to 'Administrators' from 'Members' - does that help?

I can see the moderator controls now, but that's not going to help with the problems the site is experiencing, I'm afraid. 

If Invision own the site, do they also host it, too? If so, it's currently set up in a pretty irresponsible way - see my earlier comments - so they should at least fix that. 

Might be with asking them that if they're not prepared to support it, what can be done to take the site back from them. 

It should be possible to host the site for a reasonable cost - I'm not going to guess until I can see some stats - if it were stripped back to just the forums. 

Hi Grahame.

It's sparrows here, and cold!

All I know mate is that the  site/forums are apparently 'powered by Invision Community'. I contacted them for assistance, but once they realised that I wasn't a potential income stream, they stopped responding. So I'm left wondering wtf they own these things, tbh. 

I'd be very happy is we could hive-off the forums (as opposed to the main site), as I'm sure most would..

Codger   

Yeah, the 'powered by Invision Community' thing is just something they use as a strapline on all the installations. 

Has Pete S offered any insight into this at all? 

2 minutes ago, Codger said:

Has Pete S offered any insight into this at all? 

None. I did send him a couple of messages, but didn't get a reply. I doubt that he gives a toss, tbh.

Codger   
22 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

None. I did send him a couple of messages, but didn't get a reply. I doubt that he gives a toss, tbh.

I can't say I'm surprised. I know that at times running this place - just owning it even - was pretty painful for him. 

Are you able to promote me to Root Admin at all, even if it's temporary? I'd like to have a dig around to see if there's anything I can do.

JaneB   

At the risk of sending Michael completely bananas and getting banned for life because I'm once again interfering in something I know little about and which is definitely best left to him, Grahame or anyone else who knows about these things, I just wanted to say that I've been digging around online and read that CFCnet is owned by Better Collective A/S, head office in Denmark, and hosted by SingleHop BV.  I have no idea what any of that means but I wondered if Invision are being so uncooperative because they want money from the owners to update the site?

It would be great to take back the forums (does anyone even read the rest these days anyway?) and I'd be quite willing to offer financial support for hosting the site.

Going now.

9 minutes ago, JaneB said:

At the risk of sending Michael completely bananas and getting banned for life because I'm once again interfering in something I know little about and which is definitely best left to him, Grahame or anyone else who knows about these things, I just wanted to say that I've been digging around online and read that CFCnet is owned by Better Collective A/S, head office in Denmark, and hosted by SingleHop BV.  I have no idea what any of that means but I wondered if Invision are being so uncooperative because they want money from the owners to update the site?

It would be great to take back the forums (does anyone even read the rest these days anyway?) and I'd be quite willing to offer financial support for hosting the site.

Going now.

Jane, you've been (and continue to be)  a great help, for which I'm greatly appreciative. Don't change....:).

Good work to unearth Better Collective A/S, and hopefully that'l lead to something positive. 

And yes, it would be great to take back the forums! Let's see what happens.

MT

Oh, and another new member joined this morning - 'Baris'. How? I have no idea, but there he is!

Plus, there are currently another 4 trying to register (without much success, it seems)!

Just out of interest, we had 2 successful registrations on 1st August; 1 on 3rd August, and 1 on 6th August. 

Ham   
1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Going now.

I think Invision is just the vehicle, the platform that the forum is designed on.