• Current Donation Goals

Hi Jane.

One new member this morning - charlie_sw69

I just don't get how we have 4, 5, 6, etc people 'registering' at a time, but only 1 appears to get through. 

Me.

JaneB   

Yes I saw that Michael 😀

It continues to be very frustrating but at least one or two are finally getting in although obviously loads more should be!

Hi guys,

I’ve been checking these forums on/off since 06 or so, rarely posting myself but enjoying the insights you all have to our club and the game itself. - oh and also the petty arguments are amusing sometimes :) 

anyway, I saw the issue with registration and gave it a go myself to see if I could register a new account. Voila :)

basically this is silly but what seems to work is as follows:

upon registration when you are notified that an email confirmation has been sent to your mail, it seems nothing is sent most of the time. But on that page you can select change email address. Press it, change it to another mail of yours or a bogus mail. Afterwards a new mail is sent to this email that you may or may not have. Keep doing this while changing your email back to your original email until finally a confirmation mail DOES arrive. - after that you’re in :)

took me 3 changes to actually receive the mail.

Being stubborn is the key is seems.

anyway, hope it helps as a quick fix for now. 

Cheers,

Jack

Edited by I_Hate_red
  • Like 1

Hi Jane, I posted this from Jack, as I wasn't sure if you could see it, or not. I'll also send it to Grahame, and put it on the appropriate thread where other people wanting to join will hopefully read it.

M.

JaneB   

Hi Michael

Yes I got a message from him. Nice of him to try and help 😀

Sciatika   
On 08/08/2019 at 9:34 PM, Michael Tucker said:

Hi Jane.

One new member this morning - charlie_sw69

I just don't get how we have 4, 5, 6, etc people 'registering' at a time, but only 1 appears to get through. 

Me.

Probably nothing to do with it in this case, but often this happens because of the need to fix issues problems that arise from old-fashioned programming practices in the context of web servers.  This often happens when old components are used in the implementation of some facility on the web site. If you have a component that is fundamentally single-threaded and multiple threads need access to it, then you have to apply some kind of serialisation to avoid crashing the server (or generating some kind of 500 error when executing the request). So, for example, let's say that the component that formats and sends mail is an old module that the programmer likes because he is familiar with it. However, it has internal global variables and whatnot and therefore must be single-threaded. Access to the component needs to be serialised (I.e. forced to only be used by one thread at a time). When one person is accessing it in one thread, all the other threads have to wait and can end up timing out. Now let's say that the timeout is caught as an exception and discarded, you can get into a situation where many people can request to join, but only one receives the confirmatory mail. I used to see this kind of thing a lot. Actually, I have had many overnight sessions rewriting old things or replacing them for exactly this reason. It's one of the reasons I am very glad to have retired.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input, mate. I'd love to say that I understand all of that, but the truth is, I don't.....:). I could arrange temporary access for you if you think that you can fix the problem?

JaneB   

I think it would be an excellent idea  for Sciatika to have a look if he's willing to Michael. We need all the help we can get! I have no idea what he's talking about either but he does so that's all that matters!! Can't let all these potential new members keep disappearing.

Jane 😀

Ruudboy   

I follow Sciatika, being a techie in my previous career developing factory automation systems, although I don’t have the skill set to fix it these days. Might be worth giving him a helping hand, Michael?