• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

Official: Willian Departs And Signs For Arsenal

paulw66   
30 minutes ago, Never happy said:

I noted Willian had another  poor game against Spurs, if he couldn't get up for that match he ain't gonna get up for any game.

Arsenal supporters slagging him off already, the mans nicking a living along with aubameyang.

fantasy football Willian scored. 12 points on his debut against Fulham (all the Arsenal supporters were saying what a fantastic signing he was)

since then 2 points in13 games and suddenly the boots on the other foot

I'm not sure it is a case of "getting up for it", I just think he is what he is now. A 32 year old winger, who's obviously not getting any quicker, and playing in a bang ordinary side. 

3 year contract.........hilarious mistake. 

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

3 year contract.........hilarious mistake. 

British passport guaranteed 

chara   

Can't blame the player for getting the best deal he could. Compared to Silva for example his age and position work against him...more fool Arsenal for giving such a long contract and wages...don't know what he is being paid but,,,,I think maybe Chelsea were being generous to a loyal servant...as said whatever our game day comments on him were he did have a productive time ....not as good as perhaps he could have been but overall a good member of the squad.

From a footballing pov I feel he would have done better and faded away gracefully if he had gone to a mid table or not quite relegation bound club.

A Championship side would not have been right so good luck to him and may Arsenal long pay into his retirement capital!

paulw66   
17 hours ago, chara said:

Can't blame the player for getting the best deal he could. Compared to Silva for example his age and position work against him...more fool Arsenal for giving such a long contract and wages...don't know what he is being paid but,,,,I think maybe Chelsea were being generous to a loyal servant...as said whatever our game day comments on him were he did have a productive time ....not as good as perhaps he could have been but overall a good member of the squad.

From a footballing pov I feel he would have done better and faded away gracefully if he had gone to a mid table or not quite relegation bound club.

A Championship side would not have been right so good luck to him and may Arsenal long pay into his retirement capital!

Of course you can't. Last chance to earn a (very) good contract.

That said, he played for Chelsea for 7 years, Anzi for 1 (who were chucking money around) and 5 at Shahktar........he has been involved in two very big transfers. He must have earned, conservatively, 30-40m, probably more, especially when you chuck in sponsorship deals and bonuses.  He also, being what appears to be a wholesome family man, doesn't strike me as the type who has blown his money at the track, on the booze, or on fast cars and faster women. 

He clearly could have stayed here and earned a bit less than what he is getting at Arsenal. Perhaps he will take a look at the table and wonder if a few extra pounds was worth it. Who knows? We can only guess at this point. Maybe he does.  

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

He clearly could have stayed here and earned a bit less than what he is getting at Arsenal.

Could he?  I would have thought we wanted him moved on once it committed itself to a spending spree this summer.
I know the 2 years vs 3 years story got a lot of currency, but the club never deny positive stories about players.  

Actually I think the club would have been pleased to get one player off the books.  Plenty of younger players at the end of the Chelsea careers to go, even if we are short in Willian's position.

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Could he?  I would have thought we wanted him moved on once it committed itself to a spending spree this summer.
I know the 2 years vs 3 years story got a lot of currency, but the club never deny positive stories about players.  

Actually I think the club would have been pleased to get one player off the books.  Plenty of younger players at the end of the Chelsea careers to go, even if we are short in Willian's position.

Chelsea clearly offered him a contract. 

The 2 years versus 3 got a lot of currency because it was repeated by Willian several times, and Lampard himself said the club wanted him to stay

Direct quotes:

“I’m waiting. My agent hasn’t given me any news yet. I’m waiting for his call.”

Pressed on whether Chelsea are jealous of the attention he is attracting, Willian added: “No, not for the time being. Chelsea aren’t jealous.

“They didn’t say anything. At least they showed no jealousy. They’re letting go!

“Just kidding. I already had a conversation with the club a few months ago, even before the stop.

“Chelsea only offer me two years and I asked for three. My goal in the next contract is to sign for three years. So I haven’t had a deal with Chelsea yet.

“This is what I asked the club for, three years of contract. If you give me that, I’ll get the pen and sign the contract tomorrow.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8588447/Chelsea-star-Willian-REJECTS-latest-two-year-contract-offer-Arsenal-ready-sign-him.html#v-2201478738205165022

The Lampard video embedded in the article, Lampard says, "if he chooses to move on".....if there was no offer on the table from Chelsea, then there is no choice to be made. 

Edited by paulw66

37 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The Lampard video embedded in the article, Lampard says, "if he chooses to move on".....if there was no offer on the table from Chelsea, then there is no choice to be made. 

So maybe we offered £25k a week.
People breaking up say all kinds of stuff about each other.  Sometimes nice, sometimes nasty. I'm not sure it should be taken too seriously.
2 years vs 3 is incredibly convenient for all sides, everyone looks good.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So maybe we offered £25k a week.
People breaking up say all kinds of stuff about each other.  Sometimes nice, sometimes nasty. I'm not sure it should be taken too seriously.
2 years vs 3 is incredibly convenient for all sides, everyone looks good.

yeah, maybe, although that doesn't really add up

IF we were offering such paltry wages (relative to a PL player of his standing), it would make no sense for Arsenal to offer such an absurd contract to lure him over. 

If a company is trying to lure away someone away who earns 50k a year at their current employer, you don't offer them 200k. You would go for 65-70k. However, if their employer was offering them a rise to 65k, you might try at 80k etc....... 

What Willian got at Arsenal must be partially down to what else was on the table.

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

IF we were offering such paltry wages (relative to a PL player of his standing), it would make no sense for Arsenal to offer such an absurd contract to lure him over. 

If a company is trying to lure away someone away who earns 50k a year at their current employer, you don't offer them 200k. You would go for 65-70k. However, if their employer was offering them a rise to 65k, you might try at 80k etc....... 

What Willian got at Arsenal must be partially down to what else was on the table.

£25k was just a number to indicate our interest was less than Arsenal's.
I think in the end all we can say is that Arsenal wanted Willian more than we wanted to keep him.
And that both Chelsea and Willian respected each other enough for the deal to go through.
Given the planned purchases, Willian's role here would have been perhaps ahead of CHO but behind everyone else.  Essentially the Pedro role of the year before.
At Arsenal, at least for now, Arteta seems to see him as first choice 10 PL starts).  Assuming Chelsea's spending on AMs was planned in advance, I don't really see how Chelsea could have given Willian a competitive offer for even 2 years.

To be honest I am not sure that loyalty a club (even to Chelsea) over wanting to play first team football is a good thing.  Even for the same money.
I respect Lampard for wanting to play at City for example.  They are pro-footballers - that is what they do.

Ham   
9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Plus you'd imagine Willian or his agent would have mentioned just how insulted he felt with the offer on the table. 

• Like 1