• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Official: Chelsea Sign Timo Werner

Rob B   
59 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

When he stops being good at everything else.
When he loses pace, when he is no longer fit for 180 mins every week, when he loses his work rate without the ball, when he stops consistently getting into scoring positions, and when his top division goals per 90 mins falls below 1 in 3  (another 2 and a half seasons at this rate).

Hmm I think he possesses very few strengths if I’m honest. 

His work rate is good, granted, but what use is speed and getting into good positions if you don’t do anything with it?  And his top division goals stats are about as useless to us today as it comes.  

He doesn’t hold it up or do the physical side of the game well, has a very heavy touch, can’t come deep and get involved in the build up because he gives the ball away a lot, and doesn’t finish easy chances.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob B said:

At what point do we accept that he’s just not very good? (Genuine question) 

More likely when the club can get their money back or close to it. That’s probably a wishful dream, so he will be around for quite a while.

he’s another Torres

18 hours ago, Rob B said:

Hmm I think he possesses very few strengths if I’m honest. 

His work rate is good, granted, but what use is speed and getting into good positions if you don’t do anything with it?  And his top division goals stats are about as useless to us today as it comes.  

He doesn’t hold it up or do the physical side of the game well, has a very heavy touch, can’t come deep and get involved in the build up because he gives the ball away a lot, and doesn’t finish easy chances.  

Although it is easy to write him off I do think that if he starts to put some of those easy chances away he'll be looking at 15-20 goals/season with another 10-15 assists to his name (all comps). With that comes an increased confidence and we all know what confidence (or lack thereof) will do to a player. 

This season so far he's got 10 goals and 7 assists - that's 17 goal contributions. No one in the squad tops that, Abraham comes closest with 12+4. 

I haven't given up on him yet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

This season so far he's got 10 goals and 7 assists - that's 17 goal contributions. No one in the squad tops that, Abraham comes closest with 12+4. 

This.

Rob B   
4 hours ago, The_Ghost said:. 

That’s just because he’s played way more than any other of our forwards.  In fact, he has been the only real ever-present in our attack this season, so you’d expect the highest contribution. 

I recall seeing somewhere that Tammy’s minutes per goal in the premier league was like 150, compared to Werner’s which was 400 and something. 

Look, I’d love Werner to come good, the guy works his socks off, has plenty of years ahead of him and seems like a nice lad, but I just haven’t seen anything where I think yeah there’s a player there. 

20 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

SMH.

To be honest, if you analyse that video there are some bad misses in there but there are also some that a confident striker puts away with a clear mind. There are also some great saves and some dastardly luck. there's a player in there thats for sure and he is working defences even if he isn't scoring as many as we anticipated. 10 goals and 7 assists isn't a failure, had he signed for Liverpool and done this there wouldnt be a whisper in the media.

14 minutes ago, Rob B said:

That’s just because he’s played way more than any other of our forwards.  In fact, he has been the only real ever-present in our attack this season, so you’d expect the highest contribution. 

I recall seeing somewhere that Tammy’s minutes per goal in the premier league was like 150, compared to Werner’s which was 400 and something. 

Look, I’d love Werner to come good, the guy works his socks off, has plenty of years ahead of him and seems like a nice lad, but I just haven’t seen anything where I think yeah there’s a player there. 

Sure, but a far fairer comparison is Abraham vs Giroud and Werner vs Pulisic/Mount/Havertz imo. 

Werner isn’t a typical #9. It’s not like Giroud and Abraham isn’t playing because of Werner. Mostly he hasn’t been played on that central role. 

8 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

To be honest, if you analyse that video there are some bad misses in there but there are also some that a confident striker puts away with a clear mind. There are also some great saves and some dastardly luck. there's a player in there thats for sure and he is working defences even if he isn't scoring as many as we anticipated. 10 goals and 7 assists isn't a failure, had he signed for Liverpool and done this there wouldnt be a whisper in the media.

Bang on. That was my point really.