• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester City 3

Sir   
6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the point Sir was making was they had to put in a filter as they didn't have the time to judge every post on its merits and use of "bad" language. 

It wasn’t me who edited it.

But the point I meant was I would have to individually edit every post with swearing and that would be nigh on impossible in the MDF, for example, unless there was some sort of automatic filter etc

But for all this over saying the word ‘sh*t’ compared to all the precious vitriol and effing and jeffing that’s previously never been particularly mentioned or brought up much is rather farcical and very in keeping with the current climate it seems. Anyway, as said, it’s a little different if the vitriol/swearing is AT someone rather than moderate volume in a post. Given how the website has been run for many, many years. Not sure why it’s all of a sudden some sort of issue. And as I previously said, to eradicate EVERY single sewer word in whatever context is pretty impossible unless EVERY post was moderated, which, if I remember, many users were UNHAPPY with as it may take a long time for them to get through.

8 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I respect your opinion about press conference. Others may expect a little bit more of it, though. 

We are in a massive slump, but somehow you are excited by Frank Lampard coming to the microphone and repeating the same waffle as the one of last week and the week before. You believe that he "knocked it off the park" Knocked what exactly?

Not me, but then I guess just disagreeing is the point, doesn't matter who it is with. 

59 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

The old tricky second season. I said it when he was appointed it was going to be the real test.. However there is still time Look at ManU

There's time so long as he goes on a 7 to 8 league game wining streak starting with the next game. I guess given Ole has miraculously turned around ManU midseason, anything is possible. Lol.

38 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Oh, I think a CL place is gone no matter what we do, and there's no "risk" we don't get one if Lampard stays because it's already done.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1345800082642399235

25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

4th is achievable with a new coach 

4th isn't achievable if we carry on like this much longer.
So yes it needs a new coach, but still not easy.
Ignoring many of the teams close to us who won't be keeping up with an improved Chelsea, there are 7 clubs to worry about.
I think we can forget about overtaking Liverpool or City.  Man U are capable of helping us, but they have a 7 point lead and a game in hand.
That leaves Spurs, Everton, Leicester all to be overtaken, while Arsenal are close behind.  Finishing above all 4 of those requires a lot.
Not beyond my expectations, but very tough.
If Leicester continue at their current rate they'd finish on 72 points.  For us to get 72 points we need 46 in 21 games (equivalent to an 83 point season).  Now I think the players are good enough to do that, but plenty on here don't.

Of Course Bobby D found another way to get into the CL with just 64 points.

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

I wasn't disagreeing with you.

I was just commenting on how far we've fallen in such a short time for that to be our reality. 

No we really have spent 18 months falling to this level.
I spent the last 2 months telling people that we were not doing well because we were only beating the weak teams and hadn't beaten a top half team.  Absolutely nothing changed, but we started playing more top half teams.  There are only two result that were not according to form - the win against WHU and the the loss to Arsenal (Form has a way of putting those things to right - WHU are not 10th and Arsenal 11th with a bullet).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

... Which happens fairly often, and particularly when someone has screwed up the foundations or design. The alternative is ... What, that you finish the crappy house and just put up with the plumbing leaking every time you flush or the front door being on the roof?

If a mistake has been made here, it has been how we've gone into the season rather than what has happened during it.

Happens fairly often? I must say, in my country at least, once a plan is submitted to our local approvals authority it is rarely altered if at all and with a 3d rendition from the architect you'd have to be quite indecisive to suddenly change the design while in the building process and not before. :S

Anyway, the point is, the club opted for a different philosophy to the one under Mourinho and Conte, and now people are attracted to Allegri who is one of the most negative coaches around. Its a complete U-turn. 

chara   
9 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

It's just yet another part of the general moral and standards decline which has been happening in the uk for  a very long time. . It doesn't make for a better society irrespective of how 'cool' swearing is supposed to be.

My pushing against the tide here probably just marks me out as a right old Canute!

Good to see you back....about now in Colorado you and your temps come to mind!

I don't think you are alone withy your views....I have a disgusting "mouth" in moments of stress and not so stressful moments..but never used it in front of my mother children any lady .or gentleman in inapropriate moments

However if playback was possible on room audio after todays game for instance I doubt Mrs C would allow me in the house!.

1 minute ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Anyway, the point is, the club opted for a different philosophy to the one under Mourinho and Conte, and now people are attracted to Allegri who is one of the most negative coaches around. Its a complete U-turn. 

No it didn't.  The club PR went along with a media love in for Frank.
But lets not kid ourselves anyone was involve in a strategic change other than Tammy, Mount and James through their own efforts.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

At least Sarri realised that if you want to pass it out from the back, you should have 2 ball playing centre backs and a ball playing DM. 

We are making life much harder for ourselves than it needs to be

Chelsea weren't as bad as this when Sarri was here. You can't win 7 games out of 17 and expect to qualify for CL. It ain't gonna happen. 

4 minutes ago, chara said:

Good to see you back....about now in Colorado you and your temps come to mind!

I don't think you are alone withy your views....I have a disgusting "mouth" in moments of stress and not so stressful moments..but never used it in front of my mother children any lady .or gentleman in inapropriate moments

However if playback was possible on room audio after todays game for instance I doubt Mrs C would allow me in the house!.

we sat outside with a beer in La caleta moaning how cold it was so gave up and went home .. Jumped back in the car the temp readout was 21c!  

As regards the game, having watched the last few I'm kinda resigned more than animated now..

1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I think if a change does come, the serious questions are what is the vision that the club want footballing wise.

Do they want a coach with new ideas who works with younger players, but lacks trophies on his CV. Along the lines of Nagelsmann, Hassenhutel. 

Do they want a high profile winner along the lines of Allegri.

Do they go more pragmatic and give someone  like a Nuno Santo s chance to step up.

Or Do they aim for a blend of both with someone like Rodgers. 

Rodgers is a bit cringe and David Brentesque at times, but I think he would be one of the main targets I would be looking towards.

I think the hierarchy at the club need to understand what they want first though. 

Allegri would be a disaster. I'd hate that to happen as;

1. He plays **** boring football

2. He'd kill Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Gilmour, Abraham and James

3. His style would not be very attractive in this league, which now seems to be all about speed and intensity and very quick transitions

Nuno is too pragmatic I reckon, and Tuchel a bit of an unknown quantity (which is also true for Nagelsmann and Hassenhutl). Thinking of it, the best candidate would perhaps be Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

I like Rodgers and he’s done really well with Leicester but he’s always struck me as a counter-attacking type of coach. (Which I’d hate given the talent we have here)

Perhaps I’ve got this wrong? My money would be on Tuchel or Allegri, which is pretty predictable 

Our squad is definitely built for a counter-attacking style, yet we want to play possession-based game. I actually think the board wants that, and think that the squad we have now is well-suited for it. Allegri would be a massive clash with this squad I reckon. 

I have said it before and I'll say it again, a José Mourinho minus the baggage would be the obvious candidate for this team. '

1. Build a solid defensive base

2. Beat some manhood into these ladies

3. He loves a quick transition

That won't happen of course, so perhaps Brendan Rodgers would be the best bet?

But I think we will end up with Tuchel.  

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I know many don't like the idea because he was at Liverpool, but he has been largely successful everywhere he has been. He got Swansea promoted and up to 11th, got Liverpool playing well and runners up, undefeated season and trebles at Celtic, doing well with Leicester. He has been coaching since he was 20 and often described as a student of the game, he knows the league and will be familiar with the club structure having spent time here.

Above all of that though his teams have an identity and he has a tried and tested PL system that I think will suit our players. Looking at his Leicester team many of the players are similar to ours, either in skill set or profile.

Vardy - Werner
Ndidi - Kante
Maddison - Havertz
Teilemann - Mount
Barnes - Pulisic
Jonny Evans - Thiago Silva
James Justin - Reese James
Castagne - Chilwell's replacement
Fofana - Zouma, Tomori, Rudiger
Iheanacho - Tammy

I'm not saying they are all identical but I really feel he could hit the ground running applying his system here, because the formation is similar and he knows the patterns of play to get the best out of similar players. It would much less risky than signing some bundesliga ir Italian coach and we wouldn't need to sign a load of new players to fit some new system. He has shown he can turn around under performing teams. Our squad is generally better than Leicester that is around the European places so I don't see why he couldn't get us playing well and be successful.

I don't recall any Benitez-esque offensive comments about us (I'm sure someone will remind me if there were!) we probably don't like him because his Liverpool team were actually quite good. Would be tough to prize him away from Leicester mid season but standout candidate for me.

Yep. Minus the Johnny Evans - Thiago Silva comparison, I think you have a point. 

38 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Agreed. Lets go for 4th!

Never mind the club hasn't built anything sustainable by this constant knee-jerk foolishness.

Hiring and firing managers, constantly changing playing philosophies, costly squad restructuring, yo-yo-ing between the top and mid-table...

You go from Jose to Conte to Sarri then to Frank and then right back to Allegri... has anyone been able to suffer through a Juve game under Allegri? I remember him in charge of Milan as well and it was awful to watch.

The club has slipped year after year behind City and Liverpool both on the pitch and off the pitch and we are at the point where United, Spurs and even Leicester look like putting us out of the top 4 for years to come.

We need a consistent approach if we are to regain ground both in terms of our football and also from a financial perspective. Frank for all of his faults has done some things well and is in the middle of what looks like a process.

This is like building a house but tearing up the plan everytime you reach the midway point to redesign. Its so costly and look at how many houses have popped up while we are being idiots too! Nice houses as well.

You can argue that Frank isn't the right guy to be in charge but that doesn't stand when you look at what he is working with. Another manager will get a tune out of that band for a while but we have all listened to that tune before and it never lasts long or ends up being one we want to hear again.

In many ways I sympathise with this pov. A lot. Since 2015 we've gone throug Mourinhi, Hiddink, Conte, Sarri and Lampard. Before this summer we spent £660m gross on Nathan, Begovic, Rahman, Pedro, Kenedy, Djilobodji, Hector, Pantic, Miazga, Bats, Kanté, Alonso, Luiz, Rüdiger, Bakayoko, Morata, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Barkley, Giroud, Emerson, Arrizabalaga, Jorginho, Kovcic and Pulisic. 

Out of these, only Kanté and Pulisic can be said to have potential to be key players for a Championship winning side with Pedro, Luiz, Alonso, Kovacic and to a certain degree Rüdiger being ok squad players. That's a ridiculously bad return on £660m! 

The chopping and changing means we don't get a team of a certain style, as parts to the squad is added a bit ad hoc over time, depending on what is available on the market and specific asks from new managers. The squad is very disjointed, with players all over not being able to play a certain style due to limitations in their game. But most damning is the complete lack of serious investment good midfielders and attackers. The club rectified it somewhat this summer with Ziyech, Werner and Havertz. But it has been neglected for years. 

We have Pulisic, Ziyech, Werner, Hudson-Odoi, Abraham and Giroud (and to a certain degree Havertz) as our attacking force and a midfield that absolutely is bereft of anything useful for playing an expansive style. Only Giroud has been here longer than 18 months...

Firmly expect Lampard to get the sack. If it is going to happen, then the time for that is now. As in right now. Waiting longer than that means we might as well give it until the summer.