• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Thomas Tuchel Appointed New Chelsea Head Coach

paulw66   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Do you think Maka was a better player than Kante?  I really don't.  Both are/were brilliant, but Kante is better.

Makeleke was a much better footballer.   Never kicked it aimlessly out of play like Kante does. Incredible positional discipline too.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Do you think Maka was a better player than Kante?  I really don't.  Both are/were brilliant, but Kante is better.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Makeleke was a much better footballer.   Never kicked it aimlessly out of play like Kante does. Incredible positional discipline too.

Kante would be the much better footballer imo. Maka far advanced in the game smarts department for sure. You have to give huge credit to the guy for effectively having a great career, creating virtually his own position on the pitch and getting the absolute maximum out of his natural ability.

In terms of footballing ability, Kante has the more ability by quite some distance imo.

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Absolutely not. No doubt that Kante is better.

Ham   
44 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Kante would be the much better footballer imo. Maka far advanced in the game smarts department for sure. You have to give huge credit to the guy for effectively having a great career, creating virtually his own position on the pitch and getting the absolute maximum out of his natural ability.

In terms of footballing ability, Kante has the more ability by quite some distance imo.

23 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Absolutely not. No doubt that Kante is better.

Genuinely shocked.

What specifically is Kante better at in your opinion? 

I'm talking about natural ability with the ball, calmness, footballing intelligence, first touch, ability to read the game, positional sense, I could go on. 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Are you joking? Serious question.

Kante is faster. Everything else, Makelele was superior at, IMO

42 minutes ago, Ham said:

Genuinely shocked.

I'm talking about natural ability with the ball, calmness, footballing intelligence, first touch, ability to read the game, positional sense, I could go on. 

I think Kantes footballing ability is being so badly undervalued on here at the moment its not really a discussion worth having.

All I will say is this, I genuinely do not think I have ever seen a player do the things he does to the level he does, and all that will come down to the similar attributes you talk of. Ever.

Maka, was what he was. He was phenomenal at it but its chalk and cheese.

52 minutes ago, Ham said:

Genuinely shocked.

Kante better passer, better ability at running with the ball, better goalscorer. All these things are part of a players ability. Maka was genuinely great at what he did, but majority of what he did and was great at was without the ball. 

I agree Maka superior in football intelligence, calmness, ability to read the game etc. They are are skill sets where you don't need the ball. In terms of ability with the ball, Kante wins hands down for me.

33 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Are you joking? Serious question.

Kante is faster. Everything else, Makelele was superior at, IMO

As per above. Maka superior at everything where they ball not required and the mental aspect of the game. Actually ability with the ball at their feet. Kante all day long.

Maka was a unique one off really. Not really been a plyer like him since, despite many attempts.

If you went into a 5 a side scenario where ability of the ball is key factor. Anyone would pick Kante all day long. Maka would add very little in a 5 a side scenario because the tactical nature of the game disappears and it becomes more about what your actual skill set is with the ball for example.

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

On Kante / Maka comparisons.

I feel that I should caveat this with, if I could pick one of the two players to have right now. It would be Maka all day long.

My own opinion on who has the more ability as a footballer would be Kante though.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Genuinely shocked.

There is a football intelligence about Kante which plenty miss.  When allowed freedom to roam he is almost invariably in the right place all the time.  The ball just comes to him.  When opponents suddenly veer off a direct line on goal and charge down towards the corner flag, the thing they are avoiding is Kante.  This does not come by chance or purely by pace and energy.  Kante understands the game deeply in the same way that Maka did.

Maka in some ways had it easy.  His job was either to win the ball and play it short to say Lampard for further distribution, or more often just turn the man on the ball towards a colleague who would do that for him.  He was no better a passer than kante, he just had more playmakers around him to pass to.

I suspect you are comparing Kante in that small area in front of the CBs with Maka in the same area he played all his Chelsea career in.  

20 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

On Kante / Maka comparisons.

I feel that I should caveat this with, if I could pick one of the two players to have right now. It would be Maka all day long.

My own opinion on who has the more ability as a footballer would be Kante though.

True - we have a Maka shaped hole in the team, and Kante shouldn't be asked to fill it.

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

When allowed freedom to roam he is almost invariably in the right place all the time

Agreed - He learnt that from Matic