• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Thomas Tuchel Appointed New Chelsea Head Coach

57 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

you are probably right about, 70pts, however setting the bar as high as possible could reveal TT abilities.

It obvious TT has organization abilities, however based on the contract given to him by the club, it would seem they might have doubts about his ability or they want an easy out knowing his history of confrontations with the boards 

Seeing as the board fall out with everyone , which is not surprising given their incredible knowledge of football , it's a given that the TT contract was a"just in case" scenario

14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Seeing as the board fall out with everyone , which is not surprising given their incredible knowledge of football , it's a given that the TT contract was a"just in case" scenario

High turnover of managers is not the same as falling out with everyone.  Conte they fell out with (not unreasonably IMO).  CA claims he wasn't told he was out until the end of the last game of the season - but I don't believe him.
Other than that, who did the club fall out with?  Sacked a few when things weren't going well perhaps, but they all (Conte excepted ) seem to have had good relationships with the club afterwards.

Also - the 18 month contract could be there for a bunch of reasons.  My guess is that it represents reward through massive bonuses rather than through guaranteed 2nd and 3rd year income if it all falls apart (post Conte I can see why the board would want that, especially as they couldn't keep Ranieri even when they may have wanted to.)

Likewise I can see the attraction to TT as well.  He might have proposed it.  (In which case he still would have said in public he would have preferred a longer contract).

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

High turnover of managers is not the same as falling out with everyone.  Conte they fell out with (not unreasonably IMO).  CA claims he wasn't told he was out until the end of the last game of the season - but I don't believe him.
Other than that, who did the club fall out with?  Sacked a few when things weren't going well perhaps, but they all (Conte excepted ) seem to have had good relationships with the club afterwards.

Also - the 18 month contract could be there for a bunch of reasons.  My guess is that it represents reward through massive bonuses rather than through guaranteed 2nd and 3rd year income if it all falls apart (post Conte I can see why the board would want that, especially as they couldn't keep Ranieri even when they may have wanted to.)

Likewise I can see the attraction to TT as well.  He might have proposed it.  (In which case he still would have said in public he would have preferred a longer contract).

There were reports that they'd fallen out with Lampard too just recently .

Is a short term contract not just the norm when a manager comes in half way through a season?

Is there any examples of someone taking over a club, mid season, and getting a multi year deal?

42 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Mark, as you well know, there are always 'reports' . Which 'reports' an individual chooses to believe, is up to that person, but I think that rather than accepting/investing some validity in any random report, it might be worthwhile laying some names out there, so the rest of us can make at least an educated guess as to their validity. Where did these 'reports' appear, and who wrote them, might be good places to start.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Of course there were.  
I think what actually happened is they told Lampard they were looking for a replacement and he was struggling on manfully.
it certainly looked like that.

Given such a situation there would be bound to be reports from people that know Lampard a bit and want to be defensive about him that would match that.

54 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Is a short term contract not just the norm when a manager comes in half way through a season?

Is there any examples of someone taking over a club, mid season, and getting a multi year deal?

Fair point.  Poch also has an 18 month contract at PSG I gather.
I guess part of the point of a longer contract is to encourage employed managers to break away.

29 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Mark, as you well know, there are always 'reports'. Which 'reports' an individual chooses to believe, is up to that person of course,  but I think that rather than accepting/investing some validity in any random report, it might be worthwhile laying some names out there, so the rest of us can make at least an educated guess as to their validity. Where did these 'reports' appear, and who wrote them, might be good places to start. 

That's told me then , four times.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13843310/chelsea-inside-frank-Lampard-sacking/

https://www.football365.com/news/frank-Lampard-annoyed-chelsea-board-desire-sign-declan-rice

https://www.chelsea-news.co/2021/02/frank-lampards-rudiger-tomori-fall-board-explained/

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I counted 10 times - you're in trouble!

All 3 stories are just writes up of the Athletic version of the story - they all actually reference it.

The Athletic is big budget and relies on subscriptions and the UK football version has seemed pretty desperate for stories.  

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

To me it seem like a relationship of convenience for both parties

TT was available and fits the current needs of the club. Not sure he long term and would not be surprised if the club and TT parted company in the summer.

On the bright side we got him and not Poch

Jasonb   

Then will probably become clearer in January 2022 if no new contract is offered.