• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Tottenham Hotspur 0 Chelsea 1

Kezza   
27 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I’m not Jorginhos biggest fan, but to claim he plays in the same position as De Bruyne and David Silva? 😂

Jorginho isn’t an attacking midfielder anymore than Thiago Silva is a striker. 

People like to discredit Jorginho and compare him to an impossible or irrelevant target. If anything, Kante should be the one compared to KDB or Silva as he was regularly played in that insensible number 8 and box to box attacking midfielder that he clearly is not. 

Edited by Kezza

3 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Was Zouma injured? Saw he wasn't on the bench for this one.

Yes, but I do struggle to see him playing much, in this type of system that Tuchel is trying to implement you need to be able to pass really well and he is the poorest passer of our CB's. Wouldn't be surprised if we do not see him much for the rest of the season. 

9 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Jorginho is playing in a similar role to KDB, David Silva, and similar central attacking midfielders in Europe. 

No, he is not. What have you been watching?

6 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I think its fair to say that Havertz, Werner, Ziyech and Chilwell are firmly on the road to flops-ville... At least Mendy and Silva have been ok/good.

I think (and hope) that it's too soon to say. 

Ziyech is the one I worry about most on that list (I'm not sure he will fit TT's plans).

Chilwell had a good first half to the season. I think he will play. Alonso is great in the (opposition) box but his lack of pace is shocking, as we all know. He doesn't have the engine to run up and down when that is needed.

I still think Werner will come good. It's his first touch that worries me though.

Havertz has everything. I think he is the classic example of a player that needs time to adapt. I think he will - he has bags of talent.

Noticed you added Pulisic to the list of flops, if that's what it was. Bit harsh! He was unbelievable last season.

Edited by Whataloadofballacks
Typo

Haven't got up with the thread, so potentially rehashing what has been said.

Jorginho was absolutely brilliant last night. How good was it to watch him sod the hop off and just leather a penalty into the bottom corner?

We lacked much of a cutting edge, but then Spurs did nothing. Hudson-Odoi playing inside didn't really do it for me, not that he was bad as such. 

I really can't help but feel training has changed drastically. We're doing simple but effective things that have been missing for too long; opening up and moving into passing triangles, lots of little give-and-goes and overlaps, maintaining a higher line. I don't think we've looked great as such, but if that continues I think we'll be excellent in a month or two. 

Edited by thevelourfog

Ham   
7 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Drab football game. Very Antonio Conte-like performance from us.

That must have been one of the most toothless Spurs performances I can remember against us at their place. 

These were always 3 very winnable games - Wolves, Burnley and Spurs in their current state away from home. The real tests lie ahead.

But I reckon we are on the right road - a manager focused on defensive solidity more than anything else and prioritizing points over performances.

I think its fair to say that Havertz, Werner, Ziyech and Chilwell are firmly on the road to flops-ville... At least Mendy and Silva have been ok/good. 

Whoever has been in charge of recruitment at this club I think they ought to really look at the job they are doing.. Emerson, Rudiger, Kepa, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Giroud, Higuain, Pulisic, Havertz, Werner, Ziyech, Chilwell, Mendy...

What's that been? £450M invested? Shocking tbh.

The only disappointing thing last night was the finishing.  

Otherwise it was a brilliant performance.  Spurs looked bad because we never let up on them in that first half.  

Last night was something we haven't seen for a long time, a very controlled 1-0 win for Chelsea. Spurs were awful, but that first half was very impressive from our side, if we were just more clinical in the final 3rd, we'd have easily killed that game off in the first half.

The difference Tuchel is making already is very impressive and it isn't just the formation or changes in personnel, it's the way he is asking the players to play. Last night, the attacking players so often (and especially Mount) looked to receive the ball on the half term, so they were facing the right goal once they had the ball under control and if not then they had likely won a free-kick, the little things like that speed up our attacks and get the team facing the right way. Also, I saw so many times when players with the ball in our half looked to play a ball sideways but then switched and played it to a player ahead and the reason for that is that obviously they've been told to do it more, but also the players ahead of them had made the space to be able to receive it, which again moved us into Spurs' half much quicker - I saw more off the ball movement from our players last night than I've seen for quite a while.

The formation we're playing is interesting too, the amount of doubling up from CHO and James on the right-hand side was causing Spurs all kinds of problems, but also when Spurs decided to have a go for 5 minutes, James comfortably sat back into the defensive 5. the setup gives us so much flexibility and we have the right players in the squad to allow for this formation to be ultra attacking, balanced or very defensive, which is great.

The front 3 as a unit were good to watch too, they just need to find their shooting boots, but often they were swapping positions, with Werner pulling out to the left and CHO or Mount moving into the main striker position, giving them all a lot of freedom and making it very difficult for the defenders to pick them up. In the long term, I can see this being truly devastating, we just need the players to get used to it, get a better understanding and remember how to score. On a few occasions, we got a great ball into the box, but nobody actually in the middle to get on the end of it and that's the kind of thing they'll need to work on and will come through playing these roles more frequently.

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

We lacked much of a cutting edge, but then Spurs did nothing. Hudson-Odoi playing inside didn't really do it for me, not that he was bad as such. 

Agree about Hudson-Odoi. At this stage of his career he is quite clearly best out wide, a player that stays wide, hugs the touchline,  looks to get in behind and gets crosses in. He seems to me to be a proper out and out winger, at least right now. That may change, his game may develop over time but right now I do not think he can play one of the more advanced roles.

It is going to be interesting to see who plays in the coming weeks. At the moment I think Mount will be used as one of the two behind the striker for the rest of the season and he picks himself  which means only 2 of Hudson-Odoi, James, Ziyech, Pulisic and Havertz start. Right wing back is a coin toss between James and Hudson-Odoi so 3 players are fighting for one position. 3 pretty expensive, high profile players. 

I know there are plenty of games to play and we will no doubt see a lot of rotation but a simple change of formation and bringing some players back in has suddenly made us go from  not having many options in certain areas to having almost too  many which may cause a few problems.

Holymoly   
10 hours ago, Ham said:

Still haven't beaten anyone above 7th.  

#Tuchelout

Can't decide if that is a criticism of us or of Spuds.

Holymoly   
9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

We should be an 85 point team yes.  Still a bit early to see if we get 40+ in second half of season.  or whether 69+ will get us a CL place - we need to play more strong teams, not just Spurs on a bad day.

Still a glass half empty kind of guy?