• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Tottenham Hotspur 0 Chelsea 1

Holymoly   
9 hours ago, Diddymen said:

Can we not be happy that we beat spuds  in a London derby? Yes, they’re shite at the moment, but who cares.

Controlled a match for the most part, looked solid in defence and midfield. Yes, we didn’t play well second half but we won!

To be honest any game against Spuds, with Jose as their manager, even if they played their kids is worth winning. The only thing missing was the fans not being there and we being able to bathe in their salty tears.

The difference Tuchel is making already is very impressive and it isn't just the formation or changes in personnel, it's the way he is asking the players to play. Last night, the attacking players so often (and especially Mount) looked to receive the ball on the half term, so they were facing the right goal once they had the ball under control and if not then they had likely won a free-kick, the little things like that speed up our attacks and get the team facing the right way

We saw it in that video of his first training session, getting players to change their body shape when receiving the ball, so they are instantly looking to move or carry the ball forward, at pace.

Something so, so simple yet something that has clearly not been happening up until now and it just reiterates how bad we have been up until this point.

I expect the one player who will benefit from this more than anyone will be Havertz. Far too many times, under Lampard,  we saw him recieve the ball with his back to goal and have nowhere to go other than backwards, he was completely wasted being asked to play this way. 

Edited by Martin1905

Holymoly   
9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I don't think he is particularly good.

He's tall and is a decent shot stopper but his ball playing is moderate and his decision making gives me the willies.

I think your criticism is highly subjective based on the current media model of what makes the ideal keeper. We haven't let in any goals over the last three games, for what ever reason, and Mendy hasn't flapped around like Arrizabalaga. That's good enough for me.

Please keep those willies to yourself.

paulw66   
23 minutes ago, Ham said:

The only disappointing thing last night was the finishing.  

Otherwise it was a brilliant performance.  Spurs looked bad because we never let up on them in that first half.  

Yes..........although I'd say not so much the finishing, as the final pass. Plenty of times I felt if the right pass had been made, or a better pass had been made, we'd have been in. Don't recall too many clear chances. We dominated the ball which made it hard for them to get in the game. They really did show a bizarrely low level of ambition.

11 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Agree about Hudson-Odoi. At this stage of his career he is quite clearly best out wide, a player that stays wide, hugs the touchline,  looks to get in behind and gets crosses in. He seems to me to be a proper out and out winger, at least right now. That may change, his game may develop over time but right now I do not think he can play one of the more advanced roles.

CHO as athe RWB is perfect for him right now, but I'd play James there against tougher teams. If you have a Ziyech, a Havertz or a Mount in that inside right channel, with CHO overlapping, we'll cause some serious damage down that side

2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

To be honest any game against Spuds, with Jose as their manager, even if they played their kids is worth winning. The only thing missing was the fans not being there and we being able to bathe in their salty tears.

Well, yes. It would have been very interesting to hear their crowd's reaction when they went off at HT, with them not having moved out of their half.

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I think your criticism is highly subjective based on the current media model of what makes the ideal keeper. We haven't let in any goals over the last three games, for what ever reason, and Mendy hasn't flapped around like Arrizabalaga. That's good enough for me.

Please keep those willies to yourself.

Had a public order come through the door saying something similar.

We haven't let in any goals in the last 3 games, so maybe I am being harsh. I still feel though if we are going to take the next step, we will need someone better. 

paulw66   
7 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Drab football game. Very Antonio Conte-like performance from us.

Aside from the formation, it was nothing like a Conte performance. We dominated possession from start to finish. Under Conte we tended to let the opponents have the ball, and we counter attacked. Not a criticism of either coach, I just don't see any correlation. 

7 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I think its fair to say that Havertz, Werner, Ziyech and Chilwell are firmly on the road to flops-ville... At least Mendy and Silva have been ok/good. 

Whoever has been in charge of recruitment at this club I think they ought to really look at the job they are doing.. Emerson, Rudiger, Kepa, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Giroud, Higuain, Pulisic, Havertz, Werner, Ziyech, Chilwell, Mendy...

Strange mix of names you have pulled out. I'll give you Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Emerson and Kepa, three of which were signed 3 managers ago.

Giroud has been more than a useful signing, scored some very important goals, especially post lockdown last year. I would go so far as to suggest without his contribution, we wouldn't be playing CL football. 

Higuain was a loan that didn't work, but no biggie.

Pulisic was our best player at the back end of last season, and has taken a bit of time to get over the hammy. No doubt he will come good again 

Not Rudiger's biggest fan, but he is showing, especially in a 3, he is a good player, and whilst not being amazing, has been a decent signing. 

The summer signings, particularly, the young ones, deserve some time. Plenty of players have taken a season or so to adjust to the pace and physical nature of the PL. I expect you rue the club for binning off KdB and Salah too early? I not Paul Merson's biggest fan, but he made some comments on Havertz that I thought were spot on

Feeling buoyant this morning after that performance , so many good performances throughout , even Christensen looked good when he came on and I loathe him normally .

I think the Kova Jorgi partnership is excellent and with the formation it really brings out the best in both of them , I am finding the idea of Kante replacing Kova horrific to be honest , he was on for about fifteen minutes last night and was utterly dreadful and we lost control of the midfield the instance Kova went off.

There are so many small joys to be had seeing us actually look like an organised side at the moment , I suppose that's what happens when you have a firm idea of what you want to achieve and it reflects poorly of SFL in my humble opinion.

Liking Tuchel very much indeed. 

Right , lets smash those Northern barbarians next .  

Encouraging start under Tuchel. So what is the big difference?

Look at Werner, and how many good runs he makes. Tuchel has managed him really well and given him instructions which actually puts him in positions where he can attack, even when playing low block teams. That right there is a really good sign. Unfourtunately, 7/10 runs don't get spotted, or get spotted to late. But time will be his friend, in my opinion. 

Look at how easily Kovacic gets space to run with the ball forward, easily one of his most desirable attributes. Again, a sign that the manager knows how to set up the team to play to the strenghts of his players. 

Look at how Rudiger is rarely put in a position where he has to play like Baresi. Again, a sign players are being put to play to their strenghts. 

I could go on and on. Tuchel knows his craft, and it is lovely to see. 

One a side note, Mendy almost cost us that game with his passing. Needs to understand the game and context and how to manage risk. A one goal lead against a Mourinho team is gold, you cannot throw that away just because you want to keep the ball in the team. Sometimes it is better to just chuck it. 

Also, I thought Tuchel should have set up the team for more counter attacking football at half time. And again, Pulisic came on too late imo. Pulisic was perfect for this match, where Spurs left gaping holes all over the pitch to chase a goal. They were clearly not comfortable and were quite vurneable when down a goal. Should have exploited that better. Time will tell, but my guess is that adaptability during games just might be Tuchel's weakness (in contrast to Jose, who is a master at that). 

Edited by Ibn Battuta

asvaberg   
4 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Encouraging start under Tuchel. So what is the big difference?

Look at Werner, and how many good runs he makes. Tuchel has managed him really well and given him instructions which actually puts him in positions where he can attack, even when playing low block teams. That right there is a really good sign. Unfourtunately, 7/10 runs don't get spotted, or get spotted to late. But time will be his friend, in my opinion. 

Wouldn't a player like Ziyech spot these runs in due time? It reminds me of the Fabregas-Costa period.

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Feeling buoyant this morning after that performance , so many good performances throughout , even Christensen looked good when he came on and I loathe him normally .

I think the Kova Jorgi partnership is excellent and with the formation it really brings out the best in both of them , I am finding the idea of Kante replacing Kova horrific to be honest , he was on for about fifteen minutes last night and was utterly dreadful and we lost control of the midfield the instance Kova went off.

There are so many small joys to be had seeing us actually look like an organised side at the moment , I suppose that's what happens when you have a firm idea of what you want to achieve and it reflects poorly of SFL in my humble opinion.

Liking Tuchel very much indeed. 

Right , lets smash those Northern barbarians next .  

Yes, agree with all of this. 

We have very good players. Organise them properly and we are match for anyone. 

Christensen in the middle of the 3 is fine. He's just not good or strong enough in a 2. That said, hope Thiago isn't out for long. He's an absolute Rolls Royce of a player. 

Lastly - a word on Jorginho. Thought he showed plenty of character, stepping up. Missed a couple recently, so very easy to toss the ball to someone else.