• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Tottenham Hotspur 0 Chelsea 1

Recommended Posts

Blue Rod   
5 hours ago, chelboy said:

I agree with this, we do look very much like a Sarri team but in a slightly more defensive 343. I think with the midfielders we have this is the best formation for them, it gives them less work in protecting the defence in transitions and they can focus more on moving the ball around which is what Jorg and Kova do. 

I don’t think Tuchel plans on using this formation in the long term. I hope Marina would let him buy his type of midfielders because we need complete midfielders if we are to get anywhere near to becoming a team that can challenge consistently. 343 is really a formation that helps protect against counters but I think it limits your attacking ability unless you have an elite forward in one of those 3 positions that can produce magic. 

I agree especially with the ones comment in bold. Jorginho is a good passer of the ball, and a player of many qualities. But however we may dress him up, his lack of forward drive and dribble is a handicap. Football is about many things, and that includes finding the right angle for your best pass. If there is a deadwood in front of you blocking the angle for that perfect pass, you have to overcome it. You can still stand there and kick the ball, but your opponent already knows where you are kicking it to, because your options are limited. Move the ball away from the wood and 3 different options open up. You are in a completely different scenario.

At team can carry a Jorginho and successfully. But there has to be someone to do the less predictable bits. Otherwise, you are like a modern boys' band. Our midfield has looked like a boys' band these past few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I agree especially with the ones comment in bold. Jorginho is a good passer of the ball, and a player of many qualities. But however we may dress him up, his lack of forward drive and dribble is a handicap. Football is about many things, and that includes finding the right angle for your best pass. If there is a deadwood in front of you blocking the angle for that perfect pass, you have to overcome it. You can still stand there and kick the ball, but your opponent already knows where you are kicking it to, because your options are limited. Move the ball away from the wood and 3 different options open up. You are in a completely different scenario.

At team can carry a Jorginho and successfully. But there has to be someone to do the less predictable bits. Otherwise, you are like a modern boys' band. Our midfield has looked like a boys' band these past few years. 

Good analogy. The problem we have with our midfield is that the players do not compliment each other and particularly lack in size and pace. When looking around the PL, we're really the only ones with such small technical players there. I mean, lets look at the teams we're competing with: 

Dippers: Henderson, Fabinho, Wijaldum 

City: Rodri, Fernandinho, KdB 

Utd: Pogba, McTominey, Matic, Fred

Leicester: Nditi, Teleimens

Spuds: Høljberg, Sissoko

Arsenal: Partey 

All of those teams have a least one combative midfielder. Ok, players like KdB and Teleimens aren't super combative but they at least put their foot in when needed. Our midfield only has Kante, who has been injured a lot for the past few years and is more of an interceptor than a destroyer/player that is able to physically dominate others. 

For me, until a combative DM/CM is addressed our midfield will continue to have far too many games in the league were they get bullied/overrun. 

Edited by King Kante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Good analogy. The problem we have with our midfield is that the players do not compliment each other and particularly lack in size and pace. When looking around the PL, we're really the only ones with such small technical players there. I mean, lets look at the teams we're competing with: 

Dippers: Henderson, Fabinho, Wijaldum 

City: Rodri, Fernandinho, KdB 

Utd: Pogba, McTominey, Matic, Fred

Leicester: Nditi, Teleimens

Spuds: Høljberg, Sissoko

Arsenal: Partey 

All of those teams have a least one combative midfielder. Ok, players like KdB and Teleimens aren't super combative but they at least put their foot in when needed. Our midfield only has Kante, who has been injured a lot for the past few years and is more of an interceptor than a destroyer/player that is able to physically dominate others. 

For me, until a combative DM/CM is addressed our midfield will continue to have far too many games in the league were they get bullied/overrun. 

You’re being very generous to Arsenal by including them in that list, I’d say Villa and Everton should be on that list instead of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Kante said:

For me, until a combative DM/CM is addressed our midfield will continue to have far too many games in the league were they get bullied/overrun. 

Or you could just play 3 CBs and not worry about it.

Incidentally I don't think there is a team on your list that wouldn't have Kante as a starter (and I can't wait for him to start for Tuchel - and I bet Tuchel can't wait either).

My guess is that Kante will play for us as the less restrained 6, encouraged to get in amongst our 10s.  Similar to under Sarri or Ranieri or Conte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

You’re being very generous to Arsenal by including them in that list, I’d say Villa and Everton should be on that list instead of them.

I am, but I have included them as they have addressed it. Unfortunately for them Partey has been injured a lot. 

44 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Or you could just play 3 CBs and not worry about it.

Incidentally I don't think there is a team on your list that wouldn't have Kante as a starter (and I can't wait for him to start for Tuchel - and I bet Tuchel can't wait either).

My guess is that Kante will play for us as the less restrained 6, encouraged to get in amongst our 10s.  Similar to under Sarri or Ranieri or Conte.

Yes, you can do that but a lot of people do not like playing a back 3. If I recollect me and you went back and forth on this a lot at the end of Sarri's time/SFL's first season. I was in the pro 3atb camp whereas you didn't like it owing to it's over dependence on playing CB's. 

As for Kante, I love the player but he is starting to appear a player that is falling apart a little. I hope he does get back to his best but I am not sure if that is going to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, King Kante said:

As for Kante, I love the player but he is starting to appear a player that is falling apart a little. I hope he does get back to his best but I am not sure if that is going to happen. 

I can't think of a single senior player that didn't fall apart over the past 18 months.  3 games in, all the ones who have played looked back to their Sarri best or better (Alonso, Rudiger, Jorginho), while Mount and CHO have looked at least as good as they were before.

I can't imagine that when a fit Kante starts again, that he won't looked improved too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I can't think of a single senior player that didn't fall apart over the past 18 months.  3 games in, all the ones who have played looked back to their Sarri best or better (Alonso, Rudiger, Jorginho), while Mount and CHO have looked at least as good as they were before.

I can't imagine that when a fit Kante starts again, that he won't looked improved too.

I love Kante, however my concern is that his style of play was always going to catch up with him. A good way of putting it is similar to what my Dad used to say about Volvo's when I was a kid. They're excellent for 10 years but once one thing goes, they fall apart. 

In this matter, I hope you're in the right. 

Edited by King Kante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Kante said:

I love Kante, however my concern is that his style of play was always going to catch up with him. A good way of putting it is similar to what my Dad used to say about Volvo's when I was a kid. They're excellent for 10 years but once one thing goes, they fall apart. 

In this matter, I hope you're in the right. 

Well we all hope that for Kante.  This is only his 6th season at a high level.  7th if you count his season in the top French division.  
Physically he reminds me of both Ramires and Ashley Cole.
Ramires slowed right down after injuries and while he went on playing in China and Brazil, he wasn't the same thing.
But Ash, had 14 seasons as a regular in the prem, starting as a teenager, was an England regular at 20 through to 33 and any slow down wasn't really visible until he was about 32.  He carried on playing till he was 38.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leo91   
2 hours ago, King Kante said:

I love Kante, however my concern is that his style of play was always going to catch up with him. A good way of putting it is similar to what my Dad used to say about Volvo's when I was a kid. They're excellent for 10 years but once one thing goes, they fall apart. 

In this matter, I hope you're in the right. 

Aren't Volvo estates renowned to be reliable ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now