• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Sheffield United 1 Chelsea 2

4 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Not for me.  He’s had enough chances. 

Tammy is our best all-round striker IMO and Werner needs to earn his right to start 

I’d love nothing more than for Tammy to be our number 1, long term striker, but he just isn’t at that level in my opinion. Not strong enough, touch not good enough, doesn’t anticipate balls in and so is often not in the right position when crosses come in. He just isn’t an elite striker and unfortunately never will be, Werner has shown he can be at that level.

Similar accusations could be pointed at Werner too in terms of his abilities in a Chelsea shirt, but Werner has the record in the German league and at international level to show he does deserve the season to adapt and if Tuchel is the manager for next season (which he clearly is), then let’s use the rest of this season to help bed Werner into this system and league... the potential long term benefits of doing this are huge.

To be clear, I’m not trying to dig out Tammy here, I like him and I appreciate what he’s done for Chelsea and think he absolutely has a place in this squad, but just not as number 1 striker.

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I’d love nothing more than for Tammy to be our number 1, long term striker, but he just isn’t at that level in my opinion. Not strong enough, touch not good enough, doesn’t anticipate balls in and so is often not in the right position when crosses come in. He just isn’t an elite striker and unfortunately never will be, Werner has shown he can be at that level.

He has been unfortunate not to have played in a Chelsea where the attack routes and types of crosses were predictable.  As indeed Werner and Giroud have been unfortunate.  The only predictable element has been the corners once Chilwell arrived.
That is changing rapidly.  

Looking forward to this game, whoever is knocking them in.  

Obligatory caution note:  of course the ref is ... (fill in later) ... so that is like starting 2 down.

Kezza   
57 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Werner has to start in this one for me, let him have a run of games under Tuchel to start getting an understanding of this system, because if/when it clicks for Werner, I think he'll be flying. In addition, I would imagine Tuchel has a better understanding of how to get Werner into the positions we need him to be in and will be drilling into the others players, where he runs and when and how to find him... a bit of patience is needed, but IMO no point in us constantly changing strikers for now.

Giroud can be an impact sub when needed and Tammy another option off the bench or in cup games/when Werner needs a rest, but if it were me, I would be going all out to play Werner back into form.

What if he gets the chances and fluffs it like he always did? It is not like he did not get any chances. When he got those he either had a poor contact on the ball, skies it, poor touch and puts it wide. Also shown that he can't strike a ball first time first touch. So can't do any volleys.

Edited by Kezza

asvaberg   
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Obligatory caution note:  of course the ref is ... (fill in later) ... so that is like starting 2 down.

Referee Kevin Friend

7 minutes ago, Kezza said:

What if he gets the chances and fluffs it like he always did? It is not like he did not get any chances. When he got those he either had a poor contact on the ball, skies it, poor touch and puts it wide. Also shown that he can't strike a ball first time first touch. So can't do any volleys.

We keep persevering, that’s my opinion anyway. The early weeks/months of the season he showed how lethal he could be, he then got stuck out on the left for far too many games and his confidence drained away.

He has continued to work hard, he looks for the ball, he gets in the positions, which are all good signs in my opinion and that’s why I believe we push forward with him. I accept I may well be in the minority with this view, but I just feel Werner can be a success here and if he can get him himself some goals in consistent games and got his confidence back, we could find ourselves with the goal scorer we desperately need.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Referee Kevin Friend

The rhythm destroyer 

31 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

We keep persevering, that’s my opinion anyway. The early weeks/months of the season he showed how lethal he could be, he then got stuck out on the left for far too many games and his confidence drained away.

He has continued to work hard, he looks for the ball, he gets in the positions, which are all good signs in my opinion and that’s why I believe we push forward with him. I accept I may well be in the minority with this view, but I just feel Werner can be a success here and if he can get him himself some goals in consistent games and got his confidence back, we could find ourselves with the goal scorer we desperately need.

I don't disagree but I am unsure about him being a No.9. From what I have seen of him since he got here (and something I didn't appreciate enough while watching him in Germany) is that his first touch is average and he isn't the strongest. For that reason, I am starting to think we may have to start viewing him more as a ILF/SS/False 9 like Pedro was. I say this as his pressing, running in behind and reading of the game are all high or very good but his weaknesses make him a bad for for a PL No.9. 

12 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I don't disagree but I am unsure about him being a No.9. From what I have seen of him since he got here (and something I didn't appreciate enough while watching him in Germany) is that his first touch is average and he isn't the strongest. For that reason, I am starting to think we may have to start viewing him more as a ILF/SS/False 9 like Pedro was. I say this as his pressing, running in behind and reading of the game are all high or very good but his weaknesses make him a bad for for a PL No.9. 

Yeah, that’s an interesting idea actually. I think we may end up playing with quite a fluid front 3, if (and it feels a big IF at the moment) we can get the front players we have firing. 

Werner, Pulisic and Mount as an interchanging front 3 could be very interesting if we could make it work.

Rob B   
1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Similar accusations could be pointed at Werner too in terms of his abilities in a Chelsea shirt, but Werner has the record in the German league and at international level to show he does deserve the season to adapt and if Tuchel is the manager for next season (which he clearly is), then let’s use the rest of this season to help bed Werner into this system and league... the potential long term benefits of doing this are huge.

To be clear, I’m not trying to dig out Tammy here, I like him and I appreciate what he’s done for Chelsea and think he absolutely has a place in this squad, but just not as number 1 striker.

Fair enough.  I disagree, but that’s what forums are for! 

For me, Werner will find his goalscoring form again soon enough I’m sure, but it’s his all round game that I find lacking in terms of leading the line in the premier league. Very heavy first touch and not brilliant at linking play.  In short, if teams defend deep and physically, he won’t be effective.  Tammy has more to his overall game and scores all types of goals. 

All of that said, a formation that incorporates Werner playing off a Tammy or Giroud makes a lot of sense.  Big question then will be whether he is doing enough to displace Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Fair enough.  I disagree, but that’s what forums are for! 

For me, Werner will find his goalscoring form again soon enough I’m sure, but it’s his all round game that I find lacking in terms of leading the line in the premier league. Very heavy first touch and not brilliant at linking play.  In short, if teams defend deep and physically, he won’t be effective.  Tammy has more to his overall game and scores all types of goals. 

All of that said, a formation that incorporates Werner playing off a Tammy or Giroud makes a lot of sense.  Big question then will be whether he is doing enough to displace Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech etc. 

Indeed, it would be boring if we all felt the same!

I do find your last point interesting, I felt the last couple of games under Frank where we played with Tammy and Werner, it worked quite well and we saw a lot of good things from Werner - the same thing happened earlier in the season as well, they both interchanged positions a lot and Tammy covered a lot of the dirty work Werner didn't want to do/was told not to do. So that could be an option, but as you go on to say, others in the squad may be more suited to playing one of those roles.