• Current Donation Goals

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Another drab performance. 4 wins and a draw but things have got to improve tremendously performance wise.

Why?

that's a good record and the club is heading in the right direction.

The gun ho approach of we will score more than you has gone ; The new coaches only job for this season as deemed by the Gods; is to undo the dysfunctional squad he inherited, "which he has done by going back to basics coaching and tactics" get the squad into the top 4, "it is looking more doable than 3 weeks ago" and the possibly of a bonus a piece of silverware. ":squad is only 3 matches away in the FA cup with SU up next" 

48 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Why?

I'd suggest that it's because if we put in that level of 'performance' (if you can call it that!) against anyone decent, we'll get our arses handed to us quick-smart.

It's fair to say that Tuchel mostly put out our second stringers, but they surely didn't have to put in so much effort to show everyone that that is what they are!

paulw66   
3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I'd suggest that it's because if we put in that level of 'performance' (if you can call it that!) against anyone decent, we'll get our arses handed to us quick-smart.

It's fair to say that Tuchel mostly put out our second stringers, but they surely didn't have to put in so much effort to show everyone that that is what they are!

On a pitch that was deemed unplayable just 5 days earlier.

paulw66   
6 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Kepa basically saved us first half with the save of the season arguably. 

Another drab performance. 4 wins and a draw but things have got to improve tremendously performance wise.

Commentators said Tammy looked offside but I felt he held his run. Could be wrong though. 

4 wins and a draw versus 6 defeats in 8. Going in the right way.

8 hours ago, Diddymen said:

Hmm, not sure. Flapped a few times and Tammy saved his walk-about 

Yes, but he also made saves I haven’t seen him save for a while.

I'm not suggesting he has a world class game, but for him, it was a decent game and for the amount of abuse the guys taken, I think it’s only fair it gets called out.

I said it before the game and I said it again at HT,  that was kind of what I expected. Away to a side in the league below who had nothing to lose, on a truly awful pitch on a freezing cold Thursday night. It was always going to be one of those matches where you just have to get through it, get the win and get home again. 

That said, even with that level of expectation it was pretty bad, if we’d performed like that under Frank, even in our run of wins at the start of the season, he’d have been slated by some on here. 

The players seemed shocked that they couldn’t play their nice football on the floor, passing it around to each other  at will and the fact nobody, other than Gilmour, seemed to realise that wasn’t going to work is a concern.

I think Kepa will have come away pleased with his night and TT pleased with him too, a massive turnaround needed for him, but that was the first small sign I’ve seen of improvement from him in a long time.

Tammy did well as well and pleased to see him get his goal. CHO had another good game and is fast becoming a regular under the new manager, it’s just a shame it took a new manager for it to happen.

Other than that, not much to say, Kante won’t be replacing Kovacic or Jorginho for now and hopefully anyone that didn’t already can now see what Werner brings to the team in this new formation, because Pulisic and especially Ziyech were poor. Amazing how much we miss Mount already.

Ultimately it is job done and through we go, which is the main thing, but don’t expect Tuchel to rotate too much more this season if that’s the level of performance he gets from the back up players.

Difficult game to assess really. Pitch was very poor and helped them far more than it did us. A number of players didn't really take their chance to shine, notably Ziyech and Pulisic who both showed flashes of vision and creativity, but I just don't think they could get to grips with the pitch and the effort Barnsley put in to deny them any space.

Not a game worthy of too much analysis really. Have to be honest, it was thoroughly dull and I struggled to keep my eyes open in the last 20 mins!

We are pretty much spoilt by PL pitches these days.  

I gave up five minutes into the second half of this turgid mess of a game so missed Kepa flapping at a cross , being left in no mans land and Tammy coming to our rescue .

So much for a new start although he did make a decent reaction save when the ball hit him in the first half so...

We may nominally have a "big squad" but there's an awful lot of wasters in it.

Christensen I see , went off with a headache , about par for the course for him other than being beaten to the headed for the cross for their first chance of the night.

Absolute wasters. 

can't really judge anything on the performance, I've seen far worse in this competition. It's what makes it so good.

An away FA cup game at a freezing cold Barnsley, who were massively up for it, on a Thursday night on an unplayable pitch. It's the FA cup and why its seen as the greatest club cup competition in the world. 

That being said the back 3 that started and the way they played in the first half actually had me laughing out loud at times. Seeing Zouma playing in the middle of a 3, as the ball player, on that pitch with genuinely funny. Watching Emerson have absolutely no idea what he was doing was not funny and Christensen trying to JT it was quite cute but when I saw the replay had me in stitches. 

One thing that seems fairly obvious from the short space of time Tuchel has been here, listening to him and watching him on the sideline is that he wont put up with it. Certain players will soon find themselves not playing much football for the rest of the season if they carry on. If I was Ziyech or Pulisic for example I would not be looking forward to the next training session. They have to improve and improve lots or they will be spending a lot of time on the bench.

24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I gave up five minutes into the second half of this turgid mess of a game so missed Kepa flapping at a cross , being left in no mans land and Tammy coming to our rescue .

So much for a new start although he did make a decent reaction save when the ball hit him in the first half so...

We may nominally have a "big squad" but there's an awful lot of wasters in it.

Christensen I see , went off with a headache , about par for the course for him other than being beaten to the headed for the cross for their first chance of the night.

Absolute wasters. 

It was a very Christensen like moment. He got a kick to the top off the head because he was on the floor and tried to head the ball away on the floor, whilst the Barsnsley player was trying to kick it.

The irony of the whole situation was, it happened because he was not strong enough in a 50/50 with the Barnsley player in the first place and that was what put him on the floor!

It really did feel like a player trying to prove his critics wrong and show his bravery. Trouble is, it was the first 50/50 he lost as to why he is routinely criticised and not his stupidity to put his head in the way of an oppo players boot!

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall