• Current Donation Goals

bert19   
7 hours ago, DannyLB said:

Some assumptions made here that somehow I meant what I said as criticism. It’s only a matter of fact that he performs very well against lower league opposition. His record proves it. He has also performed well against premier league opposition.

Ziyech doesn’t seem to perform against anyone. I’m actually quite concerned by this. He’s not a 21 year old. 

Yeh, his lack of application and generally sulky demeanour as he gives the ball away and reacts by watching the play go past him without attempting a recovery run is a bit of a concern. He made a pretty decent effort at worst individual performance of the season last night.  I can handle a player having a bad game, but he generally looks like he doesn’t care one bit (he showed similar qualities in the City game).  We might be finding out why we were the only team in for a supposedly incredibly talented 26/27 year old.  
I really thought Anjorin showed more application in his first couple of minutes of the bench than Ziyech had shown in his whole 60+ minutes.

Pulisic’s form is equally concerning too. When was the last time he had a good game? Feels like it was well before Christmas. (fair enough he’s obviously had family stuff going on this week, so his head & heart may be elsewhere for the moment, but he’s been really poor for a while). 

Overall, I thought a largely crap performance. One shot on target against a lower division side. That sort of speaks for itself

bert19   
6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I'd suggest that it's because if we put in that level of 'performance' (if you can call it that!) against anyone decent, we'll get our arses handed to us quick-smart.

It's fair to say that Tuchel mostly put out our second stringers, but they surely didn't have to put in so much effort to show everyone that that is what they are!

Exactly this. My concern is that it’s not just our second stringers that are playing poorly. Plenty of the first xi need to buck their ideas up too. 

38 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

It was a very Christensen like moment. He got a kick to the top off the head because he was on the floor and tried to head the ball away on the floor, whilst the Barsnsley player was trying to kick it.

The irony of the whole situation was, it happened because he was not strong enough in a 50/50 with the Barnsley player in the first place and that was what put him on the floor!

It really did feel like a player trying to prove his critics wrong and show his bravery. Trouble is, it was the first 50/50 he lost as to why he is routinely criticised and not his stupidity to put his head in the way of an oppo players boot!

Christiansen was one of top performers first half along with Tammy and CHO. He was in this position because someone in midfield had lost the ball when they shouldn't have. It wasn't a 50-50 that he lost out on, he was trying to recover our mistake higher up the pitch

Bison   

That pitch was a disgrace. They cancelled a game against Derby a week ago due to the state of the pitch and it can't have been much worse than it was last night.

Thought CHO looked lively. Good to see him open his legs a few times on the give and go; you forget how quick he can be. Maybe he still building up confidence to really push off and accelerate following his achilles tear?

Ziyech and Pulisic were both awful. Ziyech has crashed back down to earth after a promising start which is a real shame and Pulisic is Pulisic (has been woeful for months now).

• Like 1

Not a great performance at all. Has to be said the pitch was awful and I think even Man City would struggle to play beautiful football on that one. This was a chance for many to stake their claim but what TT has found out is he's been selecting the right team. Tammy the only one from those sidelined recently who made a case for himself. Besides the goal and the clearance off the line, I loved him sending the physio back so that he could stay on and defend the corner. 

CHO great again especially when moved to the left. I think we will see 4 at the back more and more as the season goes on. 

Ziyech and Pulisic worryingly poor. We know what they are both capable of and they need to find some form quick. Neither will be near the starting line up against Newcastle. Mount, Timo and CHO are performing at levels above these guys at the moment. I worry about Pulisic following the recurring hamstring injuries whether he is playing within himself as he doesn't have that Hazard-like explosiveness that we saw last year. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

29 minutes ago, Erland Johnson said:

Christiansen was one of top performers first half along with Tammy and CHO. He was in this position because someone in midfield had lost the ball when they shouldn't have. It wasn't a 50-50 that he lost out on, he was trying to recover our mistake higher up the pitch

I didn't say he had a bad game. He did lose a 50/50, two players body strength coming together and he ended up on the floor whilst the Barnsley player didn't. I would say that was losing a 50/50 scenario. Someone else may have made a mistake which led to that, but AC was the one floored when the two players came together.

It's not really a criticism in isolation. I was just explaining the scenario to Mark as it sounds like he did not see it.

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

CHO is probably one of the first names on the team sheet right now but it is going to be very difficult to not play James. I have always been a huge fan of Alonso but think James on the right and CHO on the left may be our best bet if we continue to play 3421. They both have to play one way or another.

The 2 and the 1 quite simply have to be Mount, Werner and Tammy at least until Havertz gets up to full steam, which unfortunately I do not think will be this season, which probably could not have gone any worse for the kid. Thankfully I would imagine Tuchel is as aware as anyone just how much potential he has and I would imagine he has big plans for him.

20 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

CHO is probably one of the first names on the team sheet right now but it is going to be very difficult to not play James. I have always been a huge fan of Alonso but think James on the right and CHO on the left may be our best bet if we continue to play 3421. They both have to play one way or another.

The CHO as WB is very different to CHO as LW in 433 or in one of the 10 positions.  He is quite right footed.
As WB he stays very very wide, and predominantly will cross with his outside foot.  In 433 or as 10 he comes in side and will mostly pass with his inside foot.  
As WB he needs to play RHS.  As winger or 10 playing LHS suits.

Also while he has done well out wide, we have to acknowledge that wide wide players do well only when the rest of their team is dominant in the middle which pulls away any marker.  Much of the credit for his WB performances needs to be shared with the 2CMs and 2 AMs who are making that space for him.

20 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

The 2 and the 1 quite simply have to be Mount, Werner and Tammy at least until Havertz gets up to full steam,

Yes

Diddymen   

One point that was missed from last night's match was that we had 6 academy players at some stage during the match. (even though it was a **** show of a performance)

Blue Rod   
On 12/02/2021 at 11:47 AM, Diddymen said:

One point that was missed from last night's match was that we had 6 academy players at some stage during the match. (even though it was a **** show of a performance)

That's a good point. Another missing point is how organised Barnsley were. The pitch, their tactics, the way they implemented it to the last letter of the word, their energy for 90 minutes, ... all added up. It is fair to say that as a team we were caught but not out.

I dont really see this match as one on which you can pass a judgement on any player. CHO and Tammy did relatively well mainly because they didn't have to get involved in the pit fight in middle of the park.  

Edited by Blue Rod