• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Newcastle United 0

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Tammy did.  It was reckless play - reckless to himself.  It is something that refs really ought to kick out of the game.

This is the same as the point we debated re Werner after the last game. I'm inclined to agree with you this time.

I have to say that although there was outrage on this forum I have to agree with Neville that Tammy moves his body into an unnatural position to play for the penalty. I've got no problem with him doing that (and think based on the current interpretation of the rules the penalty should've been given). However, there is an obvious risk in doing that and Tammy suffered for it today.

Bison   
Just now, King Kante said:

Problem is Rudi and Zouma are very poor at passing under pressure. I do not think you'll see AC dropped until Silva is back. 

Is Christensen a good passer under pressure?

I watched him at youth level and he looked like a progressive and intelligent passer. As a senior pro however, he is hesitant and scared to make mistakes...almost always opting for the safe option and / or holding onto the ball too long and then putting the recipient under pressure.

I wouldn't play James a right-sided CB if Christensen is the one covering him. It's a recipe for disaster.

Ham   
3 minutes ago, Whataloadofballacks said:

This is the same as the point we debated re Werner after the last game. I'm inclined to agree with you this time.

I have to say that although there was outrage on this forum I have to agree with Neville that Tammy moves his body into an unnatural position to play for the penalty. I've got no problem with him doing that (and think based on the current interpretation of the rules the penalty should've been given). However, there is an obvious risk in doing that and Tammy suffered for it today.

Unnatural position? You mean stepping across the ball to protect it?

I take it you've never played football.

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

Bit rude. I'm going back to not posting because this kind of thing just pisses me off. Totally needless.

I'll have another watch.

1 minute ago, Bison said:

Is Christensen a good passer under pressure?

I watched him at youth level and he looked like a progressive and intelligent passer. As a senior pro however, he is hesitant and scared to make mistakes...almost always opting for the safe option and / or holding onto the ball too long and then putting the recipient under pressure.

I wouldn't play James a right-sided CB if Christensen is the one covering him. It's a recipe for disaster.

I agree. Looks very hesitant and thinks half a second too much before every pass. Not sure if it’s a confidence thing or if he just doesn’t have it. 

Credit where it’s due, Kova impressed me. Not for his usual runs with the ball, but more because of his passing. Some really really good and difficult passes made, showing great vision and anticipation. I’m actually very surprised because I don’t feel I’ve seen this level from him before. The TT effect?

1 hour ago, chara said:

Werner....for me .... doesn't hide unlike a few we have had....works hard and seems to care....glad he scored and another nailed on penalty....he didn't go down easily for it and still went for the ball.

What is the point of var if we (not just Chelsea fans)can see things and the "officials" cannot?....

When fouls/penalties were missed by a ref it was part of the game and in a lot of cases due to the speed of the action or a bad angle with no clear view....now there is no excuse>>>>>

Very encouraged by his last few games. I was seriously worried he was going to go into his shell and just shut down and blame everything from the weather to fish n chips but fair play, he put his head down and is grinding. I believe he is genuinely fired up by the ridicule and is out to prove a point. 

8 minutes ago, Ham said:

You say stepping across to protect it, I say kicking the defender to prevent a perfectly acceptable tackle (and risking a broken ankle to do so).
You can protect the ball from a tackle that hasn't been made, you can turn a tackle into a foul by kicking the ball further on, but you can't block a fair tackle by blocking a tackle that is already in process.

For a start - who is in control of the ball? - you or the guy who was about to kick it before you blocked him?

Ham   
6 minutes ago, Whataloadofballacks said:

Bit rude. I'm going back to not posting because this kind of thing just pisses me off. Totally needless.

I'll have another watch.

Rather than drive you away from posting, I take back the last line. It wasn't meant to be insulting. I was just trying to emphasise a point about how this is something players are taught to do to shield the ball. 

I'm happy to debate the decision with you. 

39 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No no.  We have had stacks of decisions go our way this season.  I think post RA this is the 3rd season where refs have net favoured us.  Last season and one other, 11/12 probably, a season when everyone thought we were pretty hopeless and not a threat to anyone in the prem.
Which of course means it could all turn around pretty quick against us.

Maybe we did when the media had a love affair with Lampard and playing the youth, when they saw us as no threat whatsoever, but the tide has turned.  Instantly. 

39 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But it may well turn back if we keep playing this well.  Perhaps from today - I thought the Werner shout was valid too.

There you go.

I actually agree with your comments regarding Tammy but in today's world it is a penalty 99 times out of a hundred. The Werner one 100 times. If it is  not Chelsea.

Its not the decisions that bother me so much, it's the commentators quite blatantly influencing the decision. Which happens all the time. And by influencing the decision I mean, say whatever they want, the vast majority of people watching it lap it up and VAR do what they do and most agree.

2 100 % penalties, in the modern game, that are without doubt given to other, media darling, teams not given  tonight. And the commentators, in my opinion had a huge influence on both decisions. 

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Maybe we did when the media had a love affair with Lampard and playing the youth, when they saw us as no threat whatsoever, but the tide has turned.  Instantly. 

There you go.

I actually agree with your comments regarding Tammy but in today's world it is a penalty 99 times out of a hundred. The Werner one 100 times. If it is  not Chelsea.

Its not the decisions that bother me so much, it's the commentators quite blatantly influencing the decision. Which happens all the time. And by influencing the decision I mean, say whatever they want, the vast majority of people watching it lap it up and VAR do what they do and most agree.

2 100 % penalties, in the modern game, that are without doubt given to other, media darling, teams not given  tonight. And the commentators, in my opinion had a huge influence on both decisions. 

The more you look back on past var decisions, they all go the way the commentators / broadcasters think they should