• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Newcastle United 0

chara   

Genuine question from me.....Tammy.... I have played football and watched it at different levels for a long time but I cannot follow the argument that says he was at fault for the non penalty.....not saying anyone is wrong for opinions but I truly cannot understand the arguments......really looking for clarification...nothing I have read makes any sense to me..help?

14 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

2 100 % penalties, in the modern game, that are without doubt given to other, media darling, teams not given  tonight. And the commentators, in my opinion had a huge influence on both decisions. 

I don't think the ref or the VAR team are listening to SKYtv.  Much as I like conspiracy theories. 
And we did get a pen in both of the last 2 games.  

But yes commentators, the Sky and TV studio and newspapers all have a big influence on referees.  Most of all refs influence each other.  That used to be through their regular Monday meetings where the mindsets set in.  I guess now it is a regular zoom conference.  

One game is two early to start on an anti-ref campaign this season.  Last time I got on board with that it was 2 seasons in and then lasted till AVB.

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The more you look back on past var decisions, they all go the way the commentators / broadcasters think they should

That would show consistency by both refs, VAR and the commentators interpreting everything the same(unless you think VAR is listening to the sky audio).
I don't listen to enough commentary to be sure, even about Chelsea games.  But what I see is a lot of vague statements by commentators which could be interpreted either way, followed by self-congratulation for getting it right.  (Chelsea fans call it one way then say they were right along - VAR is a scam!)

6 minutes ago, chara said:

Genuine question from me.....Tammy.... I have played football and watched it at different levels for a long time but I cannot follow the argument that says he was at fault for the non penalty.....not saying anyone is wrong for opinions but I truly cannot understand the arguments......really looking for clarification...nothing I have read makes any sense to me..help?

The argument seems to be that he put his right foot between the ball and the defender, meaning the defender had to kick his foot before playing the ball. So the ref and Var were right not to award a penalty.

You're not alone in not following the reasoning.

Edited by Backbiter

4 minutes ago, chara said:

Its without doubt a penalty, but I think Droy makes a good argument as to why it shouldn't be. He may be right, in what should or should not be a penalty, but it's clear as day.

4 minutes ago, chara said:

2 ways of answering that.
1 if a player acts dangerously (even to himself) then the laws should ban that kind of play (like heading the ball knee high).

2.At one extremes you have a player standing between oppo and ball and a tackle goes through his standing leg.  Clear foul.

At the other you have a player with the ball between him and  the defender.  The defender steps up to clear and our player steps over the ball to block his kick (claiming a penalty).  That can't be right.

I think the Tammy situation was nearer the 2nd version than the first.

3 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Its without doubt a penalty, but I think Droy makes a good argument as to why it shouldn't be. He may be right, in what should or should not be a penalty, but it's clear as day.

Certainly most refs give it mostly.  I think they are wrong according to the rules. You can shield if you are in control of the ball.  I would say shielding without control of the ball is obstruction.  In that situation Tammy was not in control of the ball.

I am certain they are wrong in terms of acting in the interests of player safety and the safety of kids that watch TV football.  And that ought to be the priority for all football decisions.

9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't think the ref or the VAR team are listening to SKYtv.  Much as I like conspiracy theories. 
And we did get a pen in both of the last 2 games.  

But yes commentators, the Sky and TV studio and newspapers all have a big influence on referees.  Most of all refs influence each other.  That used to be through their regular Monday meetings where the mindsets set in.  I guess now it is a regular zoom conference.  

One game is two early to start on an anti-ref campaign this season.  Last time I got on board with that it was 2 seasons in and then lasted till AVB.

That would show consistency by both refs, VAR and the commentators interpreting everything the same(unless you think VAR is listening to the sky audio).
I don't listen to enough commentary to be sure, even about Chelsea games.  But what I see is a lot of vague statements by commentators which could be interpreted either way, followed by self-congratulation for getting it right.  (Chelsea fans call it one way then say they were right along - VAR is a scam!)

What is interesting is, I watch a lot of premier league football, and it is clear as day that the quicker the commentators make a decision so does VAR, especially when certain commentators that either played for certain teams or have an agenda, I m talking about Martin Tyler , make that decision. 

chara   

Without looking at it yet again as I saw it...the forward..Tammy..is bursting into the area with a very clear sight of goal..all at some speed..defender as well...I cannot see that in such a small fraction of time and in such a position a player has time to think " I can get a penalty out of this if I keep the ball at my feet..let me block that tackle coming from behind me with my ankle/leg"....

That is my confusion...sorry.

Ham   
2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

What is interesting is, I watch a lot of premier league football, and it is clear as day that the quicker the commentators make a decision so does VAR, especially when certain commentators that either played for certain teams or have an agenda, I m talking about Martin Tyler , make that decision. 

The reason VAR didn't notice the contact just before the tackle is because Tyler the Jedi made it clear that the tackle was good. As such, the check was very quick. They only looked for what Tyler instructed them to look for. Was the ball touched? Yes it was. Forget the fact that Tammy's ankle was already cattled. 

For the Werner push, Tyler announced that there was nothing to see so the check lasted 5 seconds. 

To say there's no correlation between the commentator decision and the length of the VAR check is naive. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

The more you look back on past var decisions, they all go the way the commentators / broadcasters think they should

The Conversation between the ref and stickley park should be heard on tv. 

• Haha 1

Faramir   
7 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

After thirty minutes of the usual complete shyte Werner! 

Since Tuchel's arrival what would be the results of our games if not for Werner's contribution in assists and goals?