• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Newcastle United 0

paulw66   
5 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

The Conversation between the ref and stickley park should be heard on tv. 

That would interfere with the corruption 

paulw66   
6 hours ago, Ham said:

The reason VAR didn't notice the contact just before the tackle is because Tyler the Jedi made it clear that the tackle was good. As such, the check was very quick. They only looked for what Tyler instructed them to look for. Was the ball touched? Yes it was. Forget the fact that Tammy's ankle was already cattled. 

For the Werner push, Tyler announced that there was nothing to see so the check lasted 5 seconds. 

To say there's no correlation between the commentator decision and the length of the VAR check is naive. 

Absolutely this.

The length of var check is hugely dependant on the reaction of the commentators. Convinced they are not watching in silence like they should be.

8 hours ago, chara said:

Without looking at it yet again as I saw it...the forward..Tammy..is bursting into the area with a very clear sight of goal..all at some speed..defender as well...I cannot see that in such a small fraction of time and in such a position a player has time to think " I can get a penalty out of this if I keep the ball at my feet..let me block that tackle coming from behind me with my ankle/leg"....

That is my confusion...sorry.

Just my take on the TA scenario. I think that the ‘get your body between the defender and the ball as soon as you’re in their penalty box’ mantra is drilled into players relentlessly by coaches. It becomes habit and isn’t necessarily a conscious and bespoke thought. 

Downside is that if the decisions don’t then go your way and they are not ‘obvious and nailed-on’ (that one last night wasn’t in my view, a 50/50 if there ever was) you’ve lost your chance of a goal. Again my view only, but if that’s a top tier striker, he gets his shot  on goal off. TA’s first touch and next two yards offers the defender the moment to make the tackle. 

The one on Werner later in the game is a penalty - 100% for me. I’m as clueless as the VAR officials must have been as to why that one is not given. 

I'll just remind everyone how much Martin Tyler loves us , after last night he must be seen as completely anti Chelsea , alongside "it was only a bit offside" Alan Smith . 

Opening day of the Premier League season and the fairy tale of newly promoted Wigan Athletic at home against  "moneybags" Chelsea ( Leaving aside the salient fact that Whelan had outspent everyone else to get here).

Wigan perform admirably , stoic in defence keeping the big boys at bay and for all intents and purposes it looks like their hard work has paid off and they were going to get a draw out of the game .

However , cometh the hour cometh the man and around the 90 minute mark , Hernan Crespo belts one in , top left corner 0-1 game over 

Here's Tyler "Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" followed by 30 seconds of dead air whilst his producer is reminding him where he is and what his job is ,  followed by " For Wigan , but great for Chelsea "

It used to be up on youTube but mysteriously it's been taken down .

Blokes a fool and I hope he gets sacked

And that's Fool with a capital C.

Edited by Mark Kelly

4 hours ago, Faramir said:

Since Tuchel's arrival what would be the results of our games if not for Werner's contribution in assists and goals?

I have no idea as it’s a hypothetical question. You can’t just pick and chose what hypothetical moments you want to change. Knock on effects of change apply.

Like I have said, I have seen enough of Werner now to know he is not for me. If you’re happy with his recent performances, well each to their own but you are setting a low bar.

Werner post assist moment in the game  yesterday was decent. One thing you can’t criticise is his work rate and effort.

Werner first 30 mins of that game. No touch, no imagination, gave the ball away nearly every time he was in possession. This first 30 mins was not a one off, he has produced a number of these performances.

I’m not gonna let an assist and a goal against really poor defending blur my thoughts on what I watched in that first half hour. He’ll always pose a threat because of that pace and how direct he is, but it’s that over directness which is part of the problem. He plays like he is the in the playground aged 10 still. 
You’re free to have whatever opinion you want on him. If you think I am talking nonsense, you are free to watch that first 30mins again and critique his performance. You don’t even need to get to the end of the first minute to witness dumb moment number 1 ! 
He’s gonna need to score and assist on some serious number of goals for me to appreciate these type of performances.

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Might want to edit that mate, not sure it will go down very well with some.

Done , thanks

10 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

He’s gonna need to score and assist on some serious number of goals for me to appreciate these type of performances.

Which is what I think he will do once he sorts his head out. 

You look at the chances he has missed this season and those are not chances he normally misses. Something is wrong with him, no doubt, but when he sorts himself out he will score silly amounts of goals.

It's easy to criticise him for the missed chances, and rightly so but it is the amount of chances he gets that makes him so good. For whatever reason he has missed far more than normal. If he had scored half of his easy chances he would be top scorer in the league. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Done , thanks

No worries mate, didn't bother me but can imagine it would some. I've deleted my reply so it's gone.

14 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Which is what I think he will do once he sorts his head out. 

He was like a man possessed after he got a bit of a slap in the mouth - get him to channel that into his matches and we’ve got a real player. 

Newcastle threw their hands and arms around quite a bit yesterday. The ex Norwich full back did so notably. Saw a sly straight arm swing from him in the second half, luckily it missed. 

TT’s interview on Sky Sports after the game had direct and quite interesting views on how and where Werner should be played. 

I can also recall comments made last season when watching a Leipzig game. German commentators saying that he’s best with instinctive type finishes, give him a one-on-one or a little bit of time and he’s not as good. 

If the latter is true, it may explain where his head may be at in a barren run and why he’s maybe taking easy options and snatching at things. Stick your boot through it son!! Might not be so bad an instruction - not very technical but might stop the head games?

9 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

What is interesting is, I watch a lot of premier league football, and it is clear as day that the quicker the commentators make a decision so does VAR, especially when certain commentators that either played for certain teams or have an agenda, I m talking about Martin Tyler , make that decision. 

Is that VAR listening to Martin Tyler?  I doubt it.
I suspect it is the commentary team watching the same clips that VAR are selecting,  Last season didn't they show the pictures that VAR were looking at up on the big screen.  Sometimes they show it on TV, but not always or they show it later.

If commentators can see the angles (and those lines) at the same time as the VAR team, there is no surprise that they can call the decisions seconds before the referee or big board announces the decision.