• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Newcastle United 0

22 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Yes you have and I respect that but it's the chances that he gets that make him what he is. We are not exactly the most creative team yet Werner has had, and missed, an awful lot of chances so far. I mean, if we were to look at all his missed chances, good ones too, and he had taken half of them I dont think anyone would have doubted him this year.

His finishing, up until the first half of this season has always been one of his biggest assets. The chances he has missed are very unlike him, he is pretty clinical. I am convinced it's a mental/confidence thing and even more convinced he will overcome it and when he does we could have a striker that is comfortably scoring 20+ league goals a season.

All well and good but he has still had an awful lot of chances, he has just not taken them.

His assist record speaks for itself to be fair to him. I mean, this year alone he has 9 assists so I have less of an issue with this style of play. It's not really any different to say Cesc, in terms of risk vs reward,  who attempted killer passes, they dont always come off whiich also breaks up the pattern of play but in a different way.

Well yes and I agree with you but I genuinely 100% think he will score and assist lots and lots of goals for us. 10 goals and 9 assists so far this season, when we have been pretty rubbish for a lot of it is not a bad start. he's actually averaging a goal or assist every 124 minutes which I think is ok but could and should be far higher. If he had scored 5 more and when you look at the chances he has missed it should be even more he would be averaging a goal or assist pretty much every game.

You may be right. Well see how things turn out with him.

I would question assist stats though. Big difference between a genuine assist and say the one he got recently when Tammy scored which deflected in Tammy’s path. That was not the ball Werner was making, yet he got the assist.

I do think he has been given a bit of a pass in generally though. Maybe because he is very hard working. Not long ago many were saying he needs to play centrally and putting his poor form to playing wide. Now he has had a couple of decent games, that talk gone quiet and we are pushing his assists! The same assists he has got through playing wider and not centrally.

He seems to be afforded a lot of excuses so far, for what have on the whole been poor performances.

15 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I would question assist stats though. Big difference between a genuine assist and say the one he got recently when Tammy scored which deflected in Tammy’s path. That was not the ball Werner was making, yet he got the assist.

Well maybe but it's still his involvement that lead to the goal. I have a terrible memory and do not recall the goal or any of his other assists but we can look at it another way. He has been involved in 19 goals for us this season. In 32 games. And has been pretty rubbish. Imagine if he starts playing well and by that I mean converting more chances.

I do think he has been given a bit of a pass in generally though. Maybe because he is very hard working. Not long ago many were saying he needs to play centrally and putting his poor form to playing wide. Now he has had a couple of decent games, that talk gone quiet and we are pushing his assists! The same assists he has got through playing wider and not centrally.

playing as a left sided 10 under Tuchel is different to playing as a left sided midfielder under Frank. 

He seems to be afforded a lot of excuses so far, for what have on the whole been poor performances.

I have made countless excuses for him, most of them were down to Frank. There has been a clear improvement in him under Tuchel in a very short space of time so we shall see what happens going forward. Maybe he doesnt need to play as a central striker, much like I was calling for, but he certainly does not need to play as an out and out winger either.

35 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

yes but there are also penalties  (is it 4?), I don't think penalties count as assists, but they certainly do set up a goal.

37 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Not just him though.
Only Silva, Chilwell, Mendy, Mount played well for the first half of the season.  Everyone else was below par. Many of them were both below par and not being picked.  All of them have much better in some previous seasons (as of course were the new arrivals elsewhere).  
The turnaround in Christensen, Alonso, Kepa, CHO in last 6 games has been amazing (albeit over a limited amount of games).

Plenty of excuses all around.  I don't see why this doesn't apply to the player who probably had the best 19/20 in the squad.

8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The turnaround in Christensen, Alonso, Kepa, CHO in last 6 games has been amazing (albeit over a limited amount of games).

and keep our fingers crossed its not just a new coach bounce

8 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

and keep our fingers crossed its not just a new coach bounce

I don't believe it is , other than TT has re-engaged with players who thought they'd had it , organised our two holding players to get the best out of both of them and did the old three at the back to get Alonso some games and allow him to show his quality . 

I have noticed that we are attacking as an attacking unit and allowing some players to stay back and we are less gung ho yet more effective.

I think he's done really well in a short span of time and everyone seems happier. 

chelboy   
59 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

He plays like a winger most of the time. In Frank system he was getting more clear cut chances even though playing out wide. What he didn’t like under Frank was having to track back and defend more. Something he doesn’t need to do in this system. He can just focus on running in behind which is what he is all about. His lack of ability in tight spaces is a worry though, this is where I think Pulisic, Havertz, Mount and Ziyech show better moments in those situations. Werner only comes alive when space presents itself. His work rate is the most impressive thing I have seen from him this season rather than any technical skills. I am still worried about his all round game but as long as he’s trying I can’t blame him too much. 

20 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I would add Kovacic and Jorginho to that list. We have seen a different level of Kovacic under Tuchel and Jorginho is playing his best football again.

Could argue Rudiger too but I'm not sure it's a turnaround  just the fact that he is playing again, I know you rate him highly, as do I  very highly.

I know some wont want to admit it but the levels of some individual performances in a short space of time should tell people everything.

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't believe it is , other than TT has re-engaged with players who thought they'd had it , organised our two holding players to get the best out of both of them and did the old three at the back to get Alonso some games and allow him to show his quality . 

I have noticed that we are attacking as an attacking unit and allowing some players to stay back and we are less gung ho yet more effective.

I think he's done really well in a short span of time and everyone seems happier. 

I actually agree and was just throwing it out there as it often is the case. No oppo player has yet to score against us is a sign of the organisation he has brought where there previously was chaos. But I will keep my fingers crossed all the same for a while!

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

I would add Kovacic and Jorginho to that list. We have seen a different level of Kovacic under Tuchel and Jorginho is playing his best football again.

Could argue Rudiger too but I'm not sure it's a turnaround  just the fact that he is playing again, I know you rate him highly, as do I  very highly.

I know some wont want to admit it but the levels of some individual performances in a short space of time should tell people everything.

Jorg has become a negative passer, I would like to see him play a few more adventurous balls forward, that we know he can,  instead of the safe sideways or backwards but perhaps thats the remit he has been given.

4 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Jorg has become a negative passer, I would like to see him play a few more adventurous balls forward, that we know he can,  instead of the safe sideways or backwards but perhaps thats the remit he has been given.

Maybe but we have seen a different side to Kovacic, he is playing far more adventurous balls than I can ever remember on a far more regular basis. Perhaps this is how Tuchel wants the two of them to play.