• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Newcastle United 0

Ham    833
18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't believe it is , other than TT has re-engaged with players who thought they'd had it , organised our two holding players to get the best out of both of them and did the old three at the back to get Alonso some games and allow him to show his quality . 

I have noticed that we are attacking as an attacking unit and allowing some players to stay back and we are less gung ho yet more effective.

I think he's done really well in a short span of time and everyone seems happier. 

100%

7 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Maybe but we have seen a different side to Kovacic, he is playing far more adventurous balls than I can ever remember on a far more regular basis. Perhaps this is how Tuchel wants the two of them to play.

Tuchel speaks very highly of him and has clearly given him the responsibility and freedom to create more. 

He looks like he's loving life.

Faramir    75
4 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I have no idea as it’s a hypothetical question. You can’t just pick and chose what hypothetical moments you want to change. Knock on effects of change apply.

Like I have said, I have seen enough of Werner now to know he is not for me. If you’re happy with his recent performances, well each to their own but you are setting a low bar.

Werner post assist moment in the game  yesterday was decent. One thing you can’t criticise is his work rate and effort.

Werner first 30 mins of that game. No touch, no imagination, gave the ball away nearly every time he was in possession. This first 30 mins was not a one off, he has produced a number of these performances.

I’m not gonna let an assist and a goal against really poor defending blur my thoughts on what I watched in that first half hour. He’ll always pose a threat because of that pace and how direct he is, but it’s that over directness which is part of the problem. He plays like he is the in the playground aged 10 still. 
You’re free to have whatever opinion you want on him. If you think I am talking nonsense, you are free to watch that first 30mins again and critique his performance. You don’t even need to get to the end of the first minute to witness dumb moment number 1 ! 
He’s gonna need to score and assist on some serious number of goals for me to appreciate these type of performances.

I know he is a work in progress, but for all his flaws he was involved in most of our goals in the 5 Premier league games since Tuchel, nothing hypothetical about that.

We got 13 of 15 points, without his contributions we would of had about 6 points (or less?).

Edit: I just worked it out:

Wolves 0-0  1 point.

Burnley would of still been 2-0.  3 points

Spurs would of been 0-0. 1 point

Sheffield United  0-1.  0 points

Newcastle 0-0.  1 points

Yes, so we would of been on 6 points without those Werner contributions in close games.

I agree with much of what you said, but I think he is beginning to come to terms with the Premier League and we certainly have benefited from him in helping the team  turn frustrating draws into wins.

Edited by Faramir

34 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

I actually agree and was just throwing it out there as it often is the case. No oppo player has yet to score against us is a sign of the organisation he has brought where there previously was chaos. But I will keep my fingers crossed all the same for a while!

I predict that we will see shots on our goal from further and further distances.  The result will be save % levels  in high 70s for all our keepers.

Definitely fingers crossed about the new coach bounce lasting

33 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Jorg has become a negative passer, I would like to see him play a few more adventurous balls forward, that we know he can,  instead of the safe sideways or backwards but perhaps thats the remit he has been given.

27 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Maybe but we have seen a different side to Kovacic, he is playing far more adventurous balls than I can ever remember on a far more regular basis. Perhaps this is how Tuchel wants the two of them to play.

I'd say prior to Newcastle there were attempts to mark Jorginho out of the game so he concentrated on just finding short balls to Kovacic who found a lot of space.  Against Newcastle first half they both had plenty of time to look up and play.

Kovacic needs an extraordinary amount of time to look up and find a pass.  When he gets that time he is fine (so long as the target hasn't run offside already.

Martin1905    235
16 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I predict that we will see shots on our goal from further and further distances.  The result will be save % levels  in high 70s for all our keepers.

Definitely fingers crossed about the new coach bounce lasting

I'd say prior to Newcastle there were attempts to mark Jorginho out of the game so he concentrated on just finding short balls to Kovacic who found a lot of space.  Against Newcastle first half they both had plenty of time to look up and play.

Kovacic needs an extraordinary amount of time to look up and find a pass.  When he gets that time he is fine (so long as the target hasn't run offside already.

I think one of Jorginhos biggest strengths is his reading and understanding of the game. He sees what is going to happen long before anyone else. he's looking at what should happen in the next phase or the one after that so he looks to create space for others by dictating where they and the ball should go.

There was a moment last night where he played a ball backwards and screamed at Werner, pointing to the left, where he felt he should have been and was looking for that pass. 

Tuchel has certainly got us organised. Interesting the players not getting a look in at the moment. 

Didn't see the game live. Seen the penalty incidents. Not so sure about Werner’s but thought Tammy was nailed on. Both on initial viewing and replays.

I don’t have a huge issue about what goes on when we don’t get a decision it is when we do get a dodgy one it seems to be all that is talked about. The offside goal at Cardiff being a particular case in point.

Backbiter    37
15 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

Tuchel has certainly got us organised. Interesting the players not getting a look in at the moment. 

Didn't see the game live. Seen the penalty incidents. Not so sure about Werner’s but thought Tammy was nailed on. Both on initial viewing and replays.

I don’t have a huge issue about what goes on when we don’t get a decision it is when we do get a dodgy one it seems to be all that is talked about. The offside goal at Cardiff being a particular case in point.

And go back a few years earlier there was the supposed Ramires dive v WBA. The media coverage of the rare decisions in our favour is so overblown it's not funny.

Mark Kelly    927
48 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

And go back a few years earlier there was the supposed Ramires dive v WBA. The media coverage of the rare decisions in our favour is so overblown it's not funny.

WBA got a phone call of apology from PGMOL head Mike Riley , the very ref who'd booked Cech for play acting whilst collapsed with a fractured Skull , apologising for giving Chelsea a legitimate if soft penalty .

The things we have to endure compared to others is unbelievable . 

56 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Funny I was going to mention that one as well. It is easy to be paranoid.

It was a dive by Ramirez. Not in Erland’s league against Leicester in 97 mind!!!

7 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

Funny I was going to mention that one as well. It is easy to be paranoid.

It was a dive by Ramirez. Not in Erland’s league against Leicester in 97 mind!!!

Judge for yourself

chara    307
8 hours ago, East Lower said:

Just my take on the TA scenario. I think that the ‘get your body between the defender and the ball as soon as you’re in their penalty box’ mantra is drilled into players relentlessly by coaches. It becomes habit and isn’t necessarily a conscious and bespoke thought. 

Downside is that if the decisions don’t then go your way and they are not ‘obvious and nailed-on’ (that one last night wasn’t in my view, a 50/50 if there ever was) you’ve lost your chance of a goal. Again my view only, but if that’s a top tier striker, he gets his shot  on goal off. TA’s first touch and next two yards offers the defender the moment to make the tackle. 

The one on Werner later in the game is a penalty - 100% for me. I’m as clueless as the VAR officials must have been as to why that one is not given. 

OK..thanks for a clear headed view of the incident.....agree with the built in "mantra" part of a skill set and Tammy does his best to get the ball in his "protected zone" and does stretch at it somewhat but the defender has already launched his challenge and went through Tammy ...anywhere else on the field it would be a fk and possibly a yellow.

Any tackle these days from the side and not square is penalised.

Some of my confusion was the view that Tammy was somehow at fault for trying to keep the ball under control and the tackle was "fair' with Tammy to blame for being on the end of a nasty tackle.