• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Newcastle United 0

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

On average form for the season I reckon we would still not be favourite for a top 4 place.  We need to either extend this run or actually up our game further, just to get 4th.  I really wouldn't be speculating about 2nd now.

Top 4 is doable, if not TT is gone. 

I see The games being somewhere in between JM and Conte in style, which will blow the minds of some on here as there are going to be plenty more bland games. However it’s the scores on the doors that count. It’s also good to know that there is a higher percentage of the team winning against the better teams. 

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Indeed, but we lost to Wolves under Frank and failed to beat Tottenham so that's +4 points in comparative fixtures already.

Yes but Wolves and Spurs were both in much better form when we played them before.  
We were better by 1 goal against Wolves and Spurs, and one goal worse against Burnley and Sheff U (whose form has improved) - too soon to think that this is not the same team as back in our "good moment".

(though the balance between attack and defence, game control, and error rate have all improved - There is a plan!)

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Well if we win tonight, our average form after 24 games will see us in 4th place. Your argument held a lot more weight 10 or 12 games ago.

Well grabbing 10 points in 4 games is certainly a great step towards getting the 73/74 points we probably need for 4th.
But we are only 5th even now, and I doubt anyone else has had such an easy last  games as us.
Also the disastrous form of Southampton and Spurs since TT arrived has helped us enormously.

btw the gap between 2nd and 6th is going to be very close this season.  I'm not sure targeting 2nd adds much - it isn't as though we are chasing City.  

Edited by Droy was my hero

paulw66   

The results over the weekend were pretty much perfect for us. You could argue Leicester Liverpool being a draw would have been better, but Spurs lost, Everton lost, Villa and United drew games you'd expect them to win........

I don't care how or by how many. We need to win tonight pure and simple. 

• Like 1

A win and top 4 is great, but I'm not taking anything for granted. TT has had a nice introduction to this league in terms of fixtures, even the Spurs we came up against were incredibly poor, so, for now, I won't be getting too excited.

The last 5 games should just prove to us how quickly things can change this season, if we were to have an opposite run of results and dropped a bunch of points, plenty of sides to take advantage.

Holymoly   

In the past, and I'm not just referring to SFL here, but the chance to smash through the door left ajar by the Scum would leave me slightly apprehensive for this game. All too often in the past at this stage of the season we have failed to take our oppportunities and been reliant on a frenetic end to the season to achieve a respectable position.

Tonight I am faintly optimistic. This is not down to any recent improvements in the way we play as I don't really see it. However TT does seem to have improved our approach to games. We seem to be more consistant throughout the ninety minutes and we also seem to be more resilient.  Hopefully we have come through our annual midseason wobble while Manure and the Scum are experiencing periods of inconsistency.

I don't expect us to go trouncing any teams, rather I forsee the remainder of the season being one scrap after another, hopefully with us triumphing more often than not.

24 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes but Wolves and Spurs were both in much better form when we played them before.  
We were better by 1 goal against Wolves and Spurs, and one goal worse against Burnley and Sheff U (whose form has improved) - too soon to think that this is not the same team as back in our "good moment".

Well, I see a lot more than what we saw during the "good moment" and I was one of the most critical of that moment.

(though the balance between attack and defence, game control, and error rate have all improved - There is a plan!)

Well grabbing 10 points in 4 games is certainly a great step towards getting the 73/74 points we probably need for 4th.
But we are only 5th even now, and I doubt anyone else has had such an easy last  games as us.

5th  with a game in hand, 4th tonight hopefully and 4 points behind United. We were 9th and 11 points behind Untied when Tuchel came in.

All the reasons for not finishing 4th, the ones we all spoke about 5 or 6 games ago have gone out of the window. In a very short space of time. It might not have anything to do with our form, but that is irrelevant, being 4th after 24 games , 4 points behind 2nd gives us an incredible chance of finishing in the top 4. I doubt  anyone thinks we are not more likely now than we were a month ago. 

Also the disastrous form of Southampton and Spurs since TT arrived has helped us enormously.

Yes it has.

btw the gap between 2nd and 6th is going to be very close this season.  I'm not sure targeting 2nd adds much - it isn't as though we are chasing City.  

Well, I think we should target finishing as high up the table as possible. A month ago I would have said top 10 would have been the target, now I would be aiming to finish 2nd.

This is the table for just the games since the TT appointment.
S_P is what that points per game would mean over a hypothetical season.
image.png.fccc646b3b3d8a33bb0276dbf582153c.png

You can see how our progress has been not just us picking up a lot of points, but the collapse in form of several other teams - spectacular in some cases.

Man U, Everton, Liverpool have all done badly.  Spurs just 3 points in 5 games,  Southampton who were level with us have lost all their games.  In fact they are WLLLLLL starting with a win against Liverpool.

(and no I have no idea why they are 49th in my table, but the numbers do not lie!)

Holymoly   
2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

This is the table for just the games since the TT appointment.

Ahh....another Droy spreadsheet. And the resulting table goes to show just how pointless it was to construct.

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

Well, I see a lot more than what we saw during the "good moment" and I was one of the most critical of that moment.

so do I.  I just don't want to presume that the rest of the season can be based on the last 4 results or is easy.

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Well, I think we should target finishing as high up the table as possible. A month ago I would have said top 10 would have been the target, now I would be aiming to finish 2nd.

I really doubt that we will know where we will finish until the last game.  It looks like being so close that a Game 38 result of W or L might make the difference between 2nd and 5th.  I'm not sure aiming for a particular position adds value.  

51 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not sure aiming for a particular position adds value.  

Does if you are TT and if he want’s to coach the squad next season. 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz