• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

10 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Bit of a weird sub that one.  Mount off for Kante at 2-0 up.  Presuming it was to get some minutes into Kante's legs rather than anything else, as I'd have thought Pulisic/Ziyech would have been a more like for like change at a point we were very comfortable in the game. 

Or maybe he wanted to see what the balance was like with the 3 in middle of the midfield before the Atletico game? (Kind of hope we don't see it tbh)

He certainly wasn't playing as a DM but it was clearly a move to 352 which was odd given the game state and opponent. My first thought similarly was that he was trialling different shapes before Atletico next week. I wasn't that keen on it, if we move to that formation then Mount has to be in the midfield 3. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

33 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Bit of a weird sub that one.  Mount off for Kante at 2-0 up.  Presuming it was to get some minutes into Kante's legs rather than anything else, as I'd have thought Pulisic/Ziyech would have been a more like for like change at a point we were very comfortable in the game. 

Or maybe he wanted to see what the balance was like with the 3 in middle of the midfield before the Atletico game? (Kind of hope we don't see it tbh)

I saw it as not wanting to disturb the balance of the two in midfield who were both having good games .

I have noticed that for all the good things Kante does , his rampaging around the pitch is a better fit as a replacement for Mount than Kovacic as it doesn't leave a blooming great Kante shaped hole in midfield for the opposition to exploit .

Mendy

Christensen - Silva - Rudiger

James - Kante - Jorginho - Chilwell

Mount - Werner

Giroud

Game time for Silva and Kante ahead of Atletico

Difficult to predict the line-up. Will TT try and rest a few who have seen a lot of game time and save them for Atleti (Alonso, Werner, Mount, CHO, Azpi, Jorginho/Kovacic) or go all out to win against Soton and then see who is fit enough to face Atletico? 

Personally I think he will go with;

Mendy

Zouma Christensen Rüdiger

James Kovacic Kanté Chilwell

Pulisic Ziyech

Giroud

The issue is that despite losing quite a few on the spin recently, Southampton really aren't mugs and if we take them lightly we may get beaten .

chelboy   
48 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The issue is that despite losing quite a few on the spin recently, Southampton really aren't mugs and if we take them lightly we may get beaten .

Agreed, I had this game down as the first test on our defence. Southampton can put together good moves and are quite quick on the ball. 

bert19   
49 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Exactly. These are the sort of games we turn up, start badly, never get into the game and lose. Has to be the strongest team for me.

Werner needs to play too - broke the duck on Monday, try to strike again whilst the iron is hot (and 2 goals & an assist last time we played Southampton). 

12 hours ago, Worsebytheday said:

Forget resting players we need our strongest team on the pitch

There's an argument Tuchel yet doesn't know what his strongest team is. 

Sciatika   

Just took a look at SaitsWeb to see what they made of the game. Putting aside the usual posts in which their team is either without talent or invincible, I get the sense that there are a wider than usual range of opinions of the realistic outcome of the game. A lot of people are talking about injury and exhaustion. It makes sense, Margins are very fine in the PL. It only takes a couple of players to have marginally better or worse performances and the result will go the other way. Throw in the sheer quantity of games played in a short time and the problem is exacerbated. I suppose it is what makes the PL interesting. However, I am with the Chinese on interesting times.