• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

We have to put our strongest/most inform team out again for this one. Southampton haven't been on the greatest run but it wasn't long ago that they were "challenging for Europe" and we were supposedly in a crisis. It would be nice to get the line-up settled, confident and as familiar with each other as possible before we start switching players in/out. Baring any injury/fatigue I'd go with:

Mendy

Azpilicueta - Christen/Silva - Rudiger

Hudson-Odoi - Jorginho - Kovacic - Alonso

Mount - Werner

Abraham/Giroud

The only other change I'd consider is Pulisic on the left and Werner up top as we've seen numerous times this season that Southampton do leave space in behind which could be exploited.

Diddymen   
2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

sWhether it is Dr Jekyll or mr Hyde Southampton on Saturday, very confident is an away win for us. 

I admire your optimism - but this is going to be tricky. There is no way Southampton are going to take another beating. Besides, from what I read and heard, they played quite well against Wolves

Edited by Diddymen

chara   
11 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

I admire your optimism - but this is going to be tricky. There is no way Southampton are going to take another beating. Besides, from what I read and heard, they played quite well against Wolves

Well said....always makes me smile to read how easy any side is if we have won or how bad we were when beaten....every game for every team is a potential loss and that is what makes the game here.

Blue Rod   

This game may well present the first real challenge for our CM pair of Kovacic and Jorginho. In some ways, it is a tester for the game against Atletico Madrid. Can these pair cope when we are on the defensive; that may be put to test. Because as inconsistent as Southampton may seem, when they turn it on, they do well turn it on. 

I see us starting with the double 6 of Kovacic and Jorginho, but I see Kante replacing one of them unless we fall well behind and only care about scoring a goal. Or TT decides he has seen enough and needs to change things. 

Edited by Blue Rod

8 hours ago, Diddymen said:

It’s not optimism. 

Southampton are a mid to lower table team, whereas Chelsea are a +80pts team.

Away win all day. 

Faramir   
On 2/16/2021 at 5:30 AM, Diddymen said:

Surprised to hear TT has given the players 2 days off. 

I think that is a very good move. We have had a crowded schedule. The players need a rest (mentally and physically) before a very important run of games.

Faramir   
On 2/17/2021 at 4:39 AM, My Blood Is Blue said:

Mendy

Christensen - Silva - Rudiger

James - Kante - Jorginho - Chilwell

Mount - Werner

Giroud

Game time for Silva and Kante ahead of Atletico

I don't think Tuchel is going to mess with a winning formula right now. Even though Southampton are on a nasty losing streak they can be very dangerous. I'm sure he will keep the Kovacic/Jorginho pairing. I agree with your front three. Silva is back in training so I'm sure he will come straight back into the team. What I'm not sure about is wing-backs for this game, and whether Dave will be rested.

Faramir   
On 2/17/2021 at 1:34 PM, Worsebytheday said:

Forget resting players we need our strongest team on the pitch

Yes, completely agree.

Tuchel's mandate is to secure Champions League football for next season, so he is not going to take his 'foot off the gas' for a very important game where 3 points are top priority.

He just gave his players a full two days rest, so they will be recharged for Southampton and Atletico.

Edited by Faramir

Faramir   
On 2/17/2021 at 1:27 PM, Mark Kelly said:

The issue is that despite losing quite a few on the spin recently, Southampton really aren't mugs and if we take them lightly we may get beaten .

Yes. That is exactly what could happen. The best way to prepare for Atletico is have a strong performance and win against Southampton and allow the current 'first team' to continue getting used to playing with each other.

I think Werner is beginning to 'shine'. He scored two against Southampton earlier in the season, it would be awesome if he could get another two on Saturday.