• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

Faramir   

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel tells BT Sport: "Clearly yes, we had all the chances and all possibilities to take the win, it would have been deserved, sometimes in football you concede one chance and they score.

"I am not concerned about Tammy Abraham, it was not about the injury, it was hard for him to show his quality. He could not put his stamp in this game so we changed the formation. We brought in Callum Hudson-Odoi but I was not happy with his attitude, energy and counter-pressing. I took him off and we demand 100%, I feel he is not in the right shape to help us. It was a hard decision but tomorrow it is forgotten and he has all possibilities to start against Atletico Madrid.

"It is always a big week so it is mixed feelings at the moment, it will not be easier to score against Atletico."

Tuchel does not hold back. Big message for CHO.

Edited by Faramir

So 6 games played, 8 goals scored, 2 conceded, with the toughest opponents so far being Spurs (9th atm).

Is it better than before - certainly.  14 points out of 6 games (even these games) is a lot better than the 29 out of 19 we had in the first half of the season.
Is it close to the 40+ points we will need to get a CL place.  No, not yet it isn't.

In the context of the 6 games, we could have drawn almost any of them, and might have won against Wolves or today.  14 points is probably more than deserved - helped by 3 penalties.

Southampton had done enough scouting to know how poor we can be against even a moderate press.  Especially with Zouma and without Jorginho or Silva.  All you have to do is to cut Kovacic's thinking time below 2 seconds, and we are reduced to massive long balls from Zouma or Rudiger.  

We can't afford to not start Jorginho.  We aren't good enough to try.

CHO - Just a guess - a smart move would have been to bring Ziyech on for James and move CHO to RWB (his best position IMO).  I wonder if these instructions got confused somehow.  Not that the club would tell us post match.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

He has organised us that is pretty much what he has done. Up until today that has been fine but we needed a little more attacking impetus but had none.

I think the organising is all he's been asked or is expected to do. The coaching these players clearly need to attack intelligently is going to take time.

I don't think an unbeaten streak against Burnley or Newcastle is much to write home about, but I also won't be too put out when we get very little out of United, Liverpool, Everton and Leeds over the next few weeks. This season has been done for a while imo, and the name of the game is now preparing for next season.

Rob B   
4 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

He has organised us that is pretty much what he has done. Up until today that has been fine but we needed a little more attacking impetus but had none.

We look organised, but pretty toothless tbh.  I’m not too worried about their goal, yes we could have done better, but that happens occasionally. Overall defensively we have been really solid. 

What is a big worry is 1 goal each from Tammy, Werner and Giroud in like our last 10 PL games and TT doesn’t look like solving that anytime soon. I said to my family before the game that it was a super-defensive line up with a back 3, James, Alonso and Kante.  To then sub Tammy at HT and then CHO afterwards is bit of a shocker tbh. God knows how Alonso and Werner continue to play almost every minute.  

chelboy   
14 minutes ago, Ham said:

Kante shouldn't have been anywhere near this one.  Kovacic is far better alongside Jorginho. Kante constantly losing possession has others on edge.

The threat of Kovacic is lost when Kante is running around like a headless chicken in front of and behind him.  He has zero positional restraint.

I know I've been one of Jorginho's biggest critics buy the recent partnership has had a nice balance.  That was totally lost today.

Also, our final ball is absolutely awful.  Just dreadful. 

Kova is a threat? Since when? I'm a huge fan of Kova but he’s not threatening  and he was worse than Kante today. Him and Kante both like to roam into the same areas and get into eachothers way. Kante roamed those areas better when Jorginho came in and sat. I couldn’t tell who was supposed to be sitting between Kova and Kante as neither want to sit back. 

Faramir   
8 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I think the organising is all he's been asked or is expected to do. The coaching these players clearly need to attack intelligently is going to take time.

I don't think an unbeaten streak against Burnley or Newcastle is much to write home about, but I also won't be too put out when we get very little out of United, Liverpool, Everton and Leeds over the next few weeks. This season has been done for a while imo, and the name of the game is now preparing for next season.

One of the ways to prepare for next season is put in good performances and results this season.

When you say this season has been done for awhile you cannot mean top 4 because we are right in the mix with a host of other teams.

And if you are referring to the title, then obviously we will not get that, but neither will another 18 teams. (And when I say 18 teams I'm including Leicester, United and Liverpool).

Edited by Faramir

11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

We can't afford to not start Jorginho.  We aren't good enough to try.

Kovacic looked worse without Jorginho and somehow that isn't Kovacic's fault, it's Kante's. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

This season has been done for a while imo, and the name of the game is now preparing for next season.

Yes - it is easy to get as excited about a short run of games recently as some were in December.

But we are certainly on a firmer footing than before.

5 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

We didn't just stick one player upfront and go behind the ball. We played most of the match in Southampton's half. It's easy to say that  Jorginho would have won us the match. I am not sure on what basis. He has done okay since TT came, but has not really created anything remarkable. 

Well we really didn't.  We had massive possession, most of our players were deep in their half, but the ball rarely got beyond the h/w line.  It got passed about the back for 90 mins.

Bothimage.thumb.png.84b56f73cf15ba431a9227eccb6c5f28.png teams played most of the match in their own half.

3 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Kova is a threat? Since when? I'm a huge fan of Kova but he’s not threatening  and he was worse than Kante today. Him and Kante both like to roam into the same areas and get into eachothers way. Kante roamed those areas better when Jorginho came in and sat. I couldn’t tell who was supposed to be sitting between Kova and Kante as neither want to sit back. 

If you give him 2 seconds to look up and play he is a threat.  But so is Kante and Zouma with that amount of time.  And no one will ever get that time unless you first put Silva and Jorginho in the team.

chelboy   
7 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel tells BT Sport: "Clearly yes, we had all the chances and all possibilities to take the win, it would have been deserved, sometimes in football you concede one chance and they score.

"I am not concerned about Tammy Abraham, it was not about the injury, it was hard for him to show his quality. He could not put his stamp in this game so we changed the formation. We brought in Callum Hudson-Odoi but I was not happy with his attitude, energy and counter-pressing. I took him off and we demand 100%, I feel he is not in the right shape to help us. It was a hard decision but tomorrow it is forgotten and he has all possibilities to start against Atletico Madrid.

"It is always a big week so it is mixed feelings at the moment, it will not be easier to score against Atletico."

Tuchel does not hold back. Big message for CHO.

Harsh on CHO. Very harsh. He was better than Alonso and Werner today. The sub took us backwards. 

Faramir   
11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

...but I also won't be too put out when we get very little out of United, Liverpool, Everton and Leeds over the next few weeks.

I don't understand your pessimism regarding facing these four teams. All four have all been just as erratic with results and performances as us.