• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

Don't understand why Zouma has been left out, he is a much better DEFENDER then Christensen, more pace and also scores goals, something Christensen doesn't do, if it's because Christensen is the better passer of the ball I'd argue we shouldn't be messing around with the ball in the penalty area, after all a team can't score against us if the ball is in the oppositions half or in row z!

• Thanks 1

Faramir   
On 2/17/2021 at 0:52 PM, The_Ghost said:

Difficult to predict the line-up. Will TT try and rest a few who have seen a lot of game time and save them for Atleti (Alonso, Werner, Mount, CHO, Azpi, Jorginho/Kovacic) or go all out to win against Soton and then see who is fit enough to face Atletico? 

Personally I think he will go with;

Mendy

Zouma Christensen Rüdiger

James Kovacic Kanté Chilwell

Pulisic Ziyech

Giroud

I think Pulisic and Ziyech need to earn a start by making a difference when they get subbed in. For me, Werner and Mount should start.

45 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

Don't understand why Zouma has been left out, he is a much better DEFENDER then Christensen, more pace and also scores goals, something Christensen doesn't do, if it's because Christensen is the better passer of the ball I'd argue we shouldn't be messing around with the ball in the penalty area, after all a team can't score against us if the ball is in the oppositions half or in row z!

The opposition also can't score against us if we have the ball. The main reason City are so good defensively, and Sarri as well, is the possession domination which allows them to control games. Not a huge fan of Christensen but he's been excellent since TT came in. Another similar player John Stones has been brilliant this season, would he still be great playing for Southampton?

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

1 hour ago, Worsebytheday said:

We are also probably less likely to score if the ball is in row Z or our we are just playing long fighting balls up to the striker. Our players are better technically than almost every team in the league (or at least they are supposed to be), why would we want to negate that by lumping it in to the opposition half?

Kurt has his strengths but I can't help but feel his weakness is also what makes people like him. He isn't the best positionally but has great recovery pace which bails him out a lot of the time. That leads to amazing recovery tackles which look great but ultimately it was bad defending in the first place.

2 hours ago, Worsebytheday said:

Conceded 1 goal in 6 games and to be fair to Christensen,  he hasnt done much wrong.

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

We are also probably less likely to score if the ball is in row Z or our we are just playing long fighting balls up to the striker. Our players are better technically than almost every team in the league (or at least they are supposed to be), why would we want to negate that by lumping it in to the opposition half?

Kurt has his strengths but I can't help but feel his weakness is also what makes people like him. He isn't the best positionally but has great recovery pace which bails him out a lot of the time. That leads to amazing recovery tackles which look great but ultimately it was bad defending in the first place.

This. Zouma has great highlight reels as his recovery pace is excellent so he can put in amazing challenges. The problem is that his positioning is normally the reason he has had to do so. Further, his passing under pressure isn't great and although I do not class AC's as top tier or anything, it is still above that of Zouma's. 

When debating Zouma, I think it is wise to remember what Maldini said about defending, which was 'if I have to make a tackle, I have already done something wrong'. 

2 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Another similar player John Stones has been brilliant this season, would he still be great playing for Southampton?

Quite.  Zouma is at the wrong club to be fully appreciated.  My impression is that he was loved at Stoke and Everton.

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Zouma is at the wrong club to be fully appreciated. 

that would not be the case with Jose MkIII at the helm

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Conceded 1 goal in 6 games and to be fair to Christensen,  he hasnt done much wrong.

Nobody done much wrong since square pegs were put in square holes

6 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

that would not be the case with Jose MkIII at the helm

Indeed it wasn't at the time of Jose MkII

8 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Nobody done much wrong since square pegs were put in square holes

and round holes were replaced with square ones