• Current Donation Goals

Blue Rod   

Rudiger was quality as he's always been in my book. He is also a good all-round footballer, which you don't always see in defenders. 

Christensen was also good last night. To be honest. I never really thought he was as bad or as weak a defender as some make of him.

But going forward, I would like to see our defenders make the first pass an offensive one the moment opponents lose the ball.  I know it's not just defenders who play those sideways, backward first passes. Our CMs were doing so much of it that I started to wonder who was going to play any attacking pass. It fell on Rudiger and Azpi to play those mid range passes at one point (possibly sensing that no one was attempting them)

A quick and early offensive pass coming from deep after opponents attack has just breaken down (setting off CHO or Mount) is a devastating weapon that we are not using often enough if at all. It's arguably the only way to catch out an organised tea like AM.

Generally, now that the team is settling nicely, I would also like our midfield to try more difficult passes. They are playing  a lot of possession passes, which keeps us solid. But they also make us predictable and our opponents comfortable. They give us good possession stats. But I would rather have a little less possession for more chances. 

chelboy   
59 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Generally, now that the team is settling nicely, I would also like our midfield to try more difficult passes. They are playing  a lot of possession passes, which keeps us solid. But they also make us predictable and our opponents comfortable. They give us good possession stats. But I would rather have a little less possession for more chances. 

Jorginho actually attempted a lot of through passes yesterday. More than his last 3 or 4 games combined. The only ones that worked were the ones to CHO on the right. There were many others to Mount and Werner that should have been better. I give him credit for attempting them though. Thats the amount he should be attempting every game rather than the safe passes. Same with Kova. 

asvaberg   

Anyone knows if yellow-cards are "nulled" before the quarter-finals?

Meaning, Kovacic has 1 yellow, did not get any yesterday and will likely play second match.

If he get's a yellow then, will he miss the 1st leg of the QF (if we proceed)?

Edited by asvaberg

Couldn't help but wonder why Atletico, who seem to me to be very talented, chose to sit back and cheat. They seem capable of much more than that. We played well so I accept part of it is that we forced the issue, but their whole approach seemed a huge own goal to me.

A second goal would have been nice. Rudiger breaking every bone in Suarez's face would have been better. He literally cannot go 15 seconds without cheating. 

Mount, Jorginho, Christensen and Rudiger, all absolutely fantastic. The first two will be a huge miss for the second leg.

asvaberg   
12 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Couldn't help but wonder why Atletico, who seem to me to be very talented, chose to sit back and cheat. 

Tactical - prevent Chelsea to get an away goal, and go offensive in the 2nd match.

0-0 at home, and any draw result away involving goalds or a win would send them through. A bit old-fashioned thinking, as far as I see it. 

Of the first 6 matches in this round, 5 of them with away wins :o 

Edited by asvaberg

Holymoly   

TT will have some decisions to make in three weeks time with both Mount and Jorginho out. Personally I'd play a midfield of Kante and Gilmour but that won't happen with so much riding on it I guess. Big call if TT swaps in Ziyech to play for Mount. Quite a few players will have a lot to prove before the return leg to try and get a place in the side, Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech, etc. Silva would be a welcome addition too to lend some coordination to the defense as I'm sure AM will be a totally different beast in March.

28 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Jorginho actually attempted a lot of through passes yesterday. More than his last 3 or 4 games combined

that because he had acers of space and time, due to AM being more interested in a back line 6 or 7 with minimal closing down of Jorginho

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

TT will have some decisions to make in three weeks time with both Mount and Jorginho out. Personally I'd play a midfield of Kante and Gilmour but that won't happen with so much riding on it I guess. Big call if TT swaps in Ziyech to play for Mount. Quite a few players will have a lot to prove before the return leg to try and get a place in the side, Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech, etc. Silva would be a welcome addition too to lend some coordination to the defense as I'm sure AM will be a totally different beast in March.

games against MauUre, Dippers, Blue Dippers and dirty Leeds will determine the line up against AM part II ... AM is a free hit for TT

I understand Atletico's tactics of playing not to concede in the first leg when it's away and then looking to win the tie in the home leg via a score draw or better, but last night was a pretty extreme version of that. For the majority of the game, they were playing 631 and just completely surrendered possession. One of the biggest issues with approaching a game like that is that if the opponent does eventually break you down, to try and switch into attacking mode is very difficult. Just very bizarre to see such extreme tactics from the league leaders in Spain against a Chelsea side with a new manager who struggles to score goals!

Anyway, on to Chelsea, it was a good performance, a great result but only a good performance, which I suppose is a good thing because it means we can be better than that. I'm not looking to be too critical, but we simply have to create more chances and I know it's hard against a team that sits so deep with so many, but we need to be able to draw teams like that out more and create spaces for each other. I felt like a big difference in the second half was that on a few occasions Mount and Kovacic in particular actually took on an opponent or two, to break the line and make some space, which meant the Atletico defenders had something else to think about and someone from the back 6 had to step out to meet the attacking player. I don't know if it's a tactical thing or a confidence thing, but I just think we need to take more calculated risks in our game, to help us open up the chances.

But, it was a great result, away from home in CL knockout a 1-0 win is brilliant, it's just a shame we'll now lose Jorginho and Mount for the second leg, both were crucial to our performance last night, so will be a big miss.

Back 3 played well, especially Christensen, who seems to slowly be finding that confidence and form he had pre-Barcelona, which is good to see. I wonder if he could play in a 3 with Silva in the middle or if that would expose him too much?

Jorginho and Kovacic did well, I still want to see more from them though, I wish one of them could support attacks better, making runs into the box etc, I think this is the downside to the way we currently set up, we almost play with 5 across the front, meaning no late runners into the box.

Werner worked hard and caused them problems. CHO did well wide on the right, but should maybe have hugged the line a little more. Alonso did well and I was one of those suggesting Chilwell should have started ahead of him, but his experience showed last night and I think he managed the game ad occasion really well.

Mount just doing Mount things and being superb and Giroud coming up with the magic yet again, his top 10 goal compilation must be the best in world football!

We move on to Man United and Liverpool now, which will be the real test - come through those and we could be on for a good end to the season...

• Thanks 1