• Current Donation Goals

54 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

BT seemed intent on laughing off what Suarez was doing........it may sound soft, but surely pinching someone is violent conduct? if you think what you can get sent off for these days. 

I'd say unsporting conduct (if that's the correct wording) but yes, beyond the needling I think every CB has to accept and keep their cool with and into straight up cheating.

Very satisfying performance against a side who made it very difficult to break them down. Mount, Jorginho, Werner, CHO, Christensen, Rudi all excellent. 

Azpi's passing was uncharacteristically off all night and he also inadvertently got Mount booked. Should have been his yellow card and we will really miss Mount and Jorg second leg. At least with a 1-0 lead there should be more space which should suit us. 

Alonso I thought did as good a job as he could however I couldn't shake the idea that this was a Chilwell game. The pitch was very big which meant that Alonso couldn't really get into either box, his biggest strength. He did well to hold onto the ball but having a player out there with pace, mobility and the ability to occasionally go past a man would have really helped. 

If TT has learned anything this week it should be that Jorg and Thiago are our most important players in this system. They unlock the front three. Also that when playing controlling possession football a Christensen/John Stones type player is worth a lot more than Zouma. 

paulw66   
14 hours ago, Holymoly said:

The difference is that they have a real striker on the pitch to take their chances.

Whoops :-)

12 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I think he's just got a mental block as far as the Premier League is concerned. There IS a player in there somewhere.

Definitely. I do think the PL is tough for flair players coming from softer leagues. Hopefully he'll grow into it, because the technique is there for all to see 

12 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

They are a scummy bunch of cheats who got exactly what they deserved out of the game .

12 hours ago, Erland Johnson said:

Could've had a few red cards.. Dirty team that are allowed to play like that due to the manager!

12 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Oh, Atletico are a bunch of cheating bastards.

Replying to all 3 posts - Atletico remind me of scummy teams I used to play against on a Sunday morning. They boot you about and get all upset and hard done by when the ref gives a foul, then when you go near them, they demand free kicks / cards for the most innocuous things. In Europe, we need to learn to be more scummy in that respect 

The potential penalty on Werner in the first half reminded me of the penalty Suarez won for Barca against PSG in that 6-1 game......complain, complain, complain, and eventually they give in

bert19   
1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Whoops :-)

Definitely. I do think the PL is tough for flair players coming from softer leagues. Hopefully he'll grow into it, because the technique is there for all to see 

Replying to all 3 posts - Atletico remind me of scummy teams I used to play against on a Sunday morning. They boot you about and get all upset and hard done by when the ref gives a foul, then when you go near them, they demand free kicks / cards for the most innocuous things. In Europe, we need to learn to be more scummy in that respect 

The potential penalty on Werner in the first half reminded me of the penalty Suarez won for Barca against PSG in that 6-1 game......complain, complain, complain, and eventually they give in

This is known as Robbie Savage syndrome 😄

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

The Mount booking was scandalous BTW. 

From the replays I have seen I'm not even sure Mount touched him! 

I'm surprised that the broadcasters didn't show better replays of that. After all, it was a massive, massive decision by the ref only 3 mins into the game and I'm not sure it warrented a yellow at all. 

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I understand Atletico's tactics of playing not to concede in the first leg when it's away and then looking to win the tie in the home leg via a score draw or better, but last night was a pretty extreme version of that. For the majority of the game, they were playing 631 and just completely surrendered possession. One of the biggest issues with approaching a game like that is that if the opponent does eventually break you down, to try and switch into attacking mode is very difficult. Just very bizarre to see such extreme tactics from the league leaders in Spain against a Chelsea side with a new manager who struggles to score goals!

Anyway, on to Chelsea, it was a good performance, a great result but only a good performance, which I suppose is a good thing because it means we can be better than that. I'm not looking to be too critical, but we simply have to create more chances and I know it's hard against a team that sits so deep with so many, but we need to be able to draw teams like that out more and create spaces for each other. I felt like a big difference in the second half was that on a few occasions Mount and Kovacic in particular actually took on an opponent or two, to break the line and make some space, which meant the Atletico defenders had something else to think about and someone from the back 6 had to step out to meet the attacking player. I don't know if it's a tactical thing or a confidence thing, but I just think we need to take more calculated risks in our game, to help us open up the chances.

But, it was a great result, away from home in CL knockout a 1-0 win is brilliant, it's just a shame we'll now lose Jorginho and Mount for the second leg, both were crucial to our performance last night, so will be a big miss.

Back 3 played well, especially Christensen, who seems to slowly be finding that confidence and form he had pre-Barcelona, which is good to see. I wonder if he could play in a 3 with Silva in the middle or if that would expose him too much?

Jorginho and Kovacic did well, I still want to see more from them though, I wish one of them could support attacks better, making runs into the box etc, I think this is the downside to the way we currently set up, we almost play with 5 across the front, meaning no late runners into the box.

Werner worked hard and caused them problems. CHO did well wide on the right, but should maybe have hugged the line a little more. Alonso did well and I was one of those suggesting Chilwell should have started ahead of him, but his experience showed last night and I think he managed the game ad occasion really well.

Mount just doing Mount things and being superb and Giroud coming up with the magic yet again, his top 10 goal compilation must be the best in world football!

We move on to Man United and Liverpool now, which will be the real test - come through those and we could be on for a good end to the season...

Agree with a lot of this.

Please to see us deliver that performance,wasn't great yet was much stronger than we have shown for some time. 

I thought Mendy was poor yesterday and recall two poor clearances, he's looked a little nervous recently though not helped by an early rushed bouncing pass from Azpi.

We pressed well and kept a steady tempo against Athletico, a lot of the midfield passing was square with Jorginho's attempted through balls not accurate enough to set up a chance, good to see Kovacic run through the middle after getting too exasperated with the sideways ball coming back to one time too many.

I also thought Alonso played well one cross found Mount in the box unmarked and Mount fluffed his lines. Another found Mount and this created Giroud's wonder strike that I thought was off-side yet pleased to see otherwise. Although I thought Alonso played well there was one moment when he and and Rudiger tried to close out Suarez near the corner flag and instead Suarez dribbles through both of them to throw in a cross.

Mount played well though lacked a killer shot as did Werner who worked very hard yet made bad decisions at times.

CHO was good and linked up well with Mount, notice he does not look to take his man on one to one yet rather pass him with an angled through ball. CHO did well defensively on at least one occasion too.

It would be good to take this combative and strategic performance into the league as we have some big upcoming matches.

1 minute ago, Jasonb said:

I thought Mendy was poor yesterday and recall two poor clearances, he's looked a little nervous recently though not helped by an early rushed bouncing pass from Azpi.

Mendy has done absolutely nothing to suggest he is good enough for us and has been poor for a while.

Is he better than Kepa under Lampard? Absolutely. Is he better than Kepa under Sarri? Nowhere near.

We either get Kepa back to his best or buy another expensive goalkeeper because Mendy is quite obviously not the answer if we want to go on and win major trophies.

6 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

(more like Sarri)

Absolutely not.

That demon TT exorcised from day one, which is something Frank was unable to do and ultimately paid the price 

Not a demon at all - a fine manager for all his clubs.  Look at Juve now.

But certainly TT got them to play with a recognizable pattern within 3 days, while the players were still going back to Sarri's patterns out of muscle memory.  We don't know, and I think they don't know if that was what Frank wanted.

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Was that our first bicycle kick goal since Eidur's against Leeds in 2003?

Diego at Swansea?