• Current Donation Goals

paulw66   
13 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Mendy has done absolutely nothing to suggest he is good enough for us and has been poor for a while.

Is he better than Kepa under Lampard? Absolutely. Is he better than Kepa under Sarri? Nowhere near.

We either get Kepa back to his best or buy another expensive goalkeeper because Mendy is quite obviously not the answer if we want to go on and win major trophies.

This 

paulw66   
27 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

From the replays I have seen I'm not even sure Mount touched him! 

I'm surprised that the broadcasters didn't show better replays of that. After all, it was a massive, massive decision by the ref only 3 mins into the game and I'm not sure it warrented a yellow at all. 

Agreed. Hoddle had the insight just to agree with the ref. Like he does for every decision in every game

The result has certainly sent reverberations through the UK media .

The match report is currently the 24th article on the Daily Mail's sports page. 

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Did anyone else notice Ziyech seemed to try about 800% harder when he came on last night too? Looked much more up for it? The cynic in me says he was shop-windowing himself in front of a CL audience, but I also slightly wonder if the CHO Sub on/Sub off thing perhaps served as a bit of a wake up call to some others too? 

I'm sure that was the whole point.  Lack of energy is something that all our No 10s could be accused of except Werner and Mount.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Ziyech I'm still not sold on, I just worry he's a one-trick pony,

There is much more than one trick.  Fantastic vision and passing at all ranges.  I agree he fades out of games, but he really is quite a player.  I think the main issue is that he needs to be picked regularly for players to confidently make the runs that only he will see and only he can pass accurately enough to.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

The Mount booking was scandalous BTW. 

BT seemed intent on laughing off what Suarez was doing........it may sound soft, but surely pinching someone is violent conduct? if you think what you can get sent off for these days. 

VAR won't look at yellow card events.  At least the mount thing was a yellow card, just not to Mount.
Suarez knows what he is doing.  Other than biting (which he has stopped) nothing he does is going to be straight red.  So VAR won't spot it, and refs won't see it clearly enough to give it.  
Rudiger lost his cool a bit, but at least he kept it until the ball was out of the penalty area.

57 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

If TT has learned anything this week it should be that Jorg and Thiago are our most important players in this system. They unlock the front three. Also that when playing controlling possession football a Christensen/John Stones type player is worth a lot more than Zouma. 

Yes.  And that some of the other players take away from the system.

27 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Mendy has done absolutely nothing to suggest he is good enough for us and has been poor for a while.

Is he better than Kepa under Lampard? Absolutely. Is he better than Kepa under Sarri? Nowhere near.

We either get Kepa back to his best or buy another expensive goalkeeper because Mendy is quite obviously not the answer if we want to go on and win major trophies.

Pretty sure Mendy won't be first choice next season.  
But fair play to him and whoever decided he was needed, he was fabulously confident for his first half dozen games and the defence was a lot lot better.   The threesome, Silva, Mendy and Chilwell made a real difference to the team.

The concern is not whether it was the right thing to do, but why things got so bad.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The concern is not whether it was the right thing to do, but why things got so bad.

Just another to add to the long list.

I haven't read all the pages on here, but I don't think the media have give Giroud the credit for his goal, the way the media have reacted to a 34 year old scoring with a bicycle kick is ridiculous, if that was Rooney or Kane they would have been w**king over it, there acting like it was a tap in

Faramir   

Great morale boosting victory which will do wonders for the players confidence going forward.

I have not had an opportunity to see the game yet. Being here in Canada it is 2:00 p.m.(or 1:45) here when the CL games start and I'm at work. Busy week so maybe I won't get to watch until the Weekend.

One observation... I read some of the discussion on why Atletico played so defensively. I think they planned to counter attack but Tuchel had us set up to mitigate that approach.

Wonderful win!

Bison   
3 hours ago, bert19 said:

Agreed - I'd say a fit Pulisic is ahead of him in the pecking order for now, but Havertz definitely has an opportunity to get himself in. He looked genuinely annoyed when he got the ball in space ready to run last night and the ref blew for the foul on Kante.  Felt like he knew he had an opportunity to do something, knew what he would try and then had it ripped away from him by the whistle. 

Did anyone else notice Ziyech seemed to try about 800% harder when he came on last night too? Looked much more up for it? The cynic in me says he was shop-windowing himself in front of a CL audience, but I also slightly wonder if the CHO Sub on/Sub off thing perhaps served as a bit of a wake up call to some others too? 

I don't think Pulisic is ahead of anybody. He looks to be rock bottom of the pecking order.

2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I hope that Havertz will be fit for that second leg. Because this will be the best opportunity for him to show his qualities in a Chelsea shirt. Mount covers so much ground. He is literally everywhere across the front. There is an upside to it. But there is also a downside in that Havertz would not have as much freedom playing together with Mount. Every creative player needs a bit of freedom to roam. Lets see if Havertz can step up. 

Havertz needs to learn to play with Mount because he isn't going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

The result has certainly sent reverberations through the UK media .

The match report is currently the 24th article on the Daily Mail's sports page. 

Akin to 2012 reporting which is not such a bad thing

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

There is much more than one trick.  Fantastic vision and passing at all ranges.  I agree he fades out of games, but he really is quite a player. 

In the cloggy league 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not a demon at all - a fine manager for all his clubs. 

I suppose he is on a sabbatical at present.

2 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Alonso I thought did as good a job as he could however I couldn't shake the idea that this was a Chilwell game.

Absolutely