• Current Donation Goals

6 minutes ago, Bison said:

Havertz needs to learn to play with Mount because he isn't going anywhere.

I think you will find the team will be built around havertz.

This season is about damage limitation and not trying to reinvent formation and playing styles. That piece of the rebuild is for whoever the coach is in the summer

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

The result has certainly sent reverberations through the UK media .

The match report is currently the 24th article on the Daily Mail's sports page. 

Good. Being popular means one thing - you're no threat. 

33 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

I haven't read all the pages on here, but I don't think the media have give Giroud the credit for his goal, the way the media have reacted to a 34 year old scoring with a bicycle kick is ridiculous, if that was Rooney or Kane they would have been w**king over it, there acting like it was a tap in

Good point. The goal was perhaps slightly overshadowed by VAR, but you're right, for a 34 year old to have that sort of athleticism is remarkable. 

Have often thought that the attention given to great goals is dictated largely by the scorer, rather than the quality. How often do you see Rooney's overhead v City on SSN? How often do you see Eidur's v Leeds? Beckham v Wimbledon, versus Batty v Wimbledon about a week later. Matty Taylor volley for Portsmouth from the centre circle didn't win goal of the month. 

Bison   
8 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

I think you will find the team will be built around havertz.

This season is about damage limitation and not trying to reinvent formation and playing styles. That piece of the rebuild is for whoever the coach is in the summer

Has Havertz shown enough to warrant that type of hype? He needs a strong finish to the end of this season.

We don't want another situation where a player is forced on a manager because Marina spent a lot.

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

Has Havertz shown enough to warrant that type of hype? He needs a strong finish to the end of this season.

We don't want another situation where a player is forced on a manager because Marina spent a lot.

It appears only Conte was ever forced to play players he didn't want.....

46 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

I haven't read all the pages on here, but I don't think the media have give Giroud the credit for his goal, the way the media have reacted to a 34 year old scoring with a bicycle kick is ridiculous, if that was Rooney or Kane they would have been w**king over it, there acting like it was a tap in

It was an outrageous goal.

The best bit about it, for me, was that he is, for what of a better word, moaning that the ball didn't come to him and literally a split second later reacts and does that. Unbelievable. 

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Good. Being popular means one thing - you're no threat. 

Good point. The goal was perhaps slightly overshadowed by VAR, but you're right, for a 34 year old to have that sort of athleticism is remarkable. 

Have often thought that the attention given to great goals is dictated largely by the scorer, rather than the quality. How often do you see Rooney's overhead v City on SSN? How often do you see Eidur's v Leeds? Beckham v Wimbledon, versus Batty v Wimbledon about a week later. Matty Taylor volley for Portsmouth from the centre circle didn't win goal of the month. 

Rooneys overhead shin kick as I have always called it.

It looked amazing but, and its a big but, he miss kicked it. Amazing technique and execution but he completely miss kicked it so to me it was rubbish.

Rob B   
1 minute ago, Bison said:

I'd have Havertz in that number 10 position next to Mount over Werner as it stands. 

Feels to me like Werner is getting an easier-ride because he works hard, but the reality is that his touch is appalling and his passing is normally overhit or intercepted. Over the course of the season he possesses very little goal threat (same could be aimed at Mount tbf) so if it's just his physical attributes meaning he's selected, then we might as well have Kante charging around there!!  (Slightly facetious but there's an element of genuineness there) 

Havertz obviously won't press as well, but I think he carries that craft and final ball that Werner currently lacks. 

Credit to Tuchel honestly. During the game I thought we were playing on a knifes edge, but looking back at it it was a very calculated risk to play like we did. It was nerve wrecking watching our defenders playing so high up the pitch with the ball, but it made perfect sense because Suarez was pretty much pressing alone upfront, and their other players sat so so deep. Looking back it was really not a big risk because if we lost the ball our players were in perfect position to win it back. 

That begs the question, what on earth was Simeone thinking with this setup? My best guess is that he thought Felix and Suarez had enough quality to nick a goal and that our attack would have no chance of scoring with such a low block. I can't believe that Athleticos defense is so poor that they had to play like this? Then again I heard that they are on their worst run of conceding goals under Simeone..

Underrated performance: R U D I G E R. I always thought Lampard was crazy to go away from him, despite his mistakes. He was always our top 1-2 CB. He is a hot head at times, but the good outweighs the bad. He was good last night. 

Controversial comment of the day: Havertz is a better option than Giroud upfront/as a false 9. The sooner that happens the better. I really appreciate Giroud, but for this team to grow we need a more versatile weapon in that position. 

Edited by Ibn Battuta

I keep thinking about why we didn't' beat Southampton, but did beat AM.

I guess it is part happenstance - we are W4D2 against 6 PL teams, and I don't see much difference between the balance of play in any of them.

And partly because it is so much easier to win when you only need a draw than when you really need to win.

7 minutes ago, Bison said:

Did you see much of him before he came here? He absolutely has shown enough to warrant the hype around him. He is a phenomenal talent and was pretty much seen as the best young attacking midfielder in the world when we signed him. 

Unfortunately for him it has not quite gone to plan, arriving in a peculiar season, being coached by Frank, being played out of position, playing in a clueless team and getting Covid.