• Current Donation Goals

1 minute ago, Ham said:

The most recent Chilwell performances have been absolutely dire. Alonso's haven't. 

Chilwell seriously needs to up his game, and quick.  

Yup, Alonso has performed well since coming back in.  

Chillwell was excellent at the start of the season but it did feel like he became complacent probably due to the lack of competition

Alonso is a goal threat in a team that lack goals, no suprises he has played the majority of games and will probably continue to do so unless we go to a back 4.

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

The most recent Chilwell performances have been absolutely dire. Alonso's haven't. 

Chilwell seriously needs to up his game, and quick.  

Sorry I disagree Alonso hasn’t had 1 good game he’s been average or poor . Apart from his goal against Burnley and that’s it . 

Ham   
Just now, Aussie1979 said:

Sorry I disagree Alonso hasn’t had 1 good game he’s been average or poor . Apart from his goal against Burnley and that’s it . 

Agree to disagree. 

Just now, Ham said:

Agree to disagree. 

Fair enough. Everyone has opinions on players .but I think his crossing is really poor and he slows down our attacks as I said I hope he proves me wrong and scores a cracker tonight 

3 minutes ago, Aussie1979 said:

I’m with you on this one. Take away that goal and I don’t see what he’s done that Chilwell couldn’t have done.

I will admit Chilwell didn’t look as comfortable in the LWB position in those appearances, as he has in the LB position, but I feel like he still deserves to be ahead of Alonso.

I can't see what Alonso has done wrong? He provides an attacking threat and doesn't give the ball away whilst providing good shape to the team. In this formation he isn't under as much pressure defensively and therefore deals with that too.

Edited by Erland Johnson

Ham   
4 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I’m with you on this one. Take away that goal and I don’t see what he’s done that Chilwell couldn’t have done.

I will admit Chilwell didn’t look as comfortable in the LWB position in those appearances, as he has in the LB position, but I feel like he still deserves to be ahead of Alonso.

He struggled with making 5 yard passes and controlling the ball. He was either passing the ball straight into touch or letting it run under his foot and out of play. 

I can't remember Alonso failing to control anything thrown at him. He's one of the best I've ever seen at killing a ball first time. 

Ok so Alonso allows the game down a bit but until Chilwell can do the basics, he shouldn't be starting. 

I wish this wasn't the case because I was very excited about us signing BC. 

He’s had a couple of bad games recently but nothing major . As we have different opinions on both players the stats for Alonso are quite poor 7% accuracy at his crossing 

16 minutes ago, Erland Johnson said:

I can't see what Alonso has done wrong? He provides an attacking threat and doesn't give the ball away whilst providing good shape to the team. In this formation he isn't under as much pressure defensively and therefore deals with that too.

It isn't so much that Alonso has done anything wrong, I just don't see that he's done anything to take Chilwell's place as easily as he has (I appreciate the formation has changed). I'm a fan of Alonso at LWB, but dropping Chilwell almost completely feels extremely harsh IMO.

8 minutes ago, Ham said:

He struggled with making 5 yard passes and controlling the ball. He was either passing the ball straight into touch or letting it run under his foot and out of play. 

I can't remember Alonso failing to control anything thrown at him. He's one of the best I've ever seen at killing a ball first time. 

Ok so Alonso allows the game down a bit but until Chilwell can do the basics, he shouldn't be starting. 

I wish this wasn't the case because I was very excited about us signing BC. 

You make some fair points, but I'm not sure he has been given enough chances to adapt to this new role and I guess that is down to the short-termism of the club, but that's a whole different issue.

Chilwell had some questionable games, I'm not going to dispute that, but I personally think he is a better player than Alonso should be our number 1 LB/LWB sooner rather than later. He's better defensively, he's quicker than Alonso and his delivery is much better. Alonso has him on finishing and positional sense in the final 3rd, but nothing else in my opinion and I know what assets I'd rather have in my fullback/wingback.

Maybe Tuchel is doing a lot of work with him on the training ground to help him to adapt to the new position and style and we'll see him slowly integrated back into the team, but it doesn't seem to be the case, which I do think is a concern.

Edited by My Blood Is Blue