• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Liverpool 0 Chelsea 1

Diddymen   
1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

Can we capitalise on Leicester's slip up this time...

1 hour ago, Ham said:

And United's

We rarely do

Call me Negative Nigel if you like, but after tonight's results, a 0-0 draw would be enough for me.

Ham   

3-1 Chelsea. 

There. I said it. 

Chrisb   
6 hours ago, Ham said:

3-1 Chelsea. 

There. I said it. 

I can’t see us getting 3 penalties at Anfield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Klopp seems a big fan of the rope-a-dope against us (perhaps against everyone) and we have consistently fallen for it. I'd say don't go at them from the start. It's what they will want, and how they did us 5-3 last season. This is, imo, actually the right kind of fixture to play very safe initially.

38 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Klopp seems a big fan of the rope-a-dope against us (perhaps against everyone) and we have consistently fallen for it. I'd say don't go at them from the start. It's what they will want, and how they did us 5-3 last season. This is, imo, actually the right kind of fixture to play very safe initially.

I don't think you will have to worry about us playing it safe. 

bert19   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Didn't we see out the first 20-25 in that 5-3 last season only to go full meltdown in the period after that? 

Our big problem is that we don't tend to start games well as it is, so if we stay cautious for the first twenty minutes and concede anyway, the gameplan is gone and we have to come out of this very restrictive comfort zone of ours AND score at least twice to win.  Can't see us doing that.  

We've also gone up there, conceded during their early blitz and just never got into the game (10-11, Torres x2 springs to mind).  Or stayed tight, not shown any real adventure and lost it later on without scoring (08-09, Torres x2 or 18-19, Salah rocket).  

Score first for a change.  Start strong, get the first goal and make them come to us knowing that we'll look to get at their makeshift midfield & defence on the counter attack.  I really can't see a Chelsea win tonight unless we score first. 

Sciatika   

I think we should focus on scoring more goals them they do.

50 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Didn't we see out the first 20-25 in that 5-3 last season only to go full meltdown in the period after that? 

Our big problem is that we don't tend to start games well as it is, so if we stay cautious for the first twenty minutes and concede anyway, the gameplan is gone and we have to come out of this very restrictive comfort zone of ours AND score at least twice to win.  Can't see us doing that.  

We've also gone up there, conceded during their early blitz and just never got into the game (10-11, Torres x2 springs to mind).  Or stayed tight, not shown any real adventure and lost it later on without scoring (08-09, Torres x2 or 18-19, Salah rocket).  

Score first for a change.  Start strong, get the first goal and make them come to us knowing that we'll look to get at their makeshift midfield & defence on the counter attack.  I really can't see a Chelsea win tonight unless we score first. 

My recollection of last season's Anfield game we committed players forward quite a lot in the first 15-20 minutes, and that Liverpool sat back for that time. Then the minute they pressed, literally the first time they did, we had too many men forward and they scored. And then scored a few more quickly after while our heads were spinning.

Had we scored in those 15-20 minutes, it would have been a different story. But we didn't, didn't even come close. I'd feel better about going at it from kick off if I thought only about Liverpool's makeshift defence, but unfortunately I've not got huge faith in our attacking play.

I think we need to score first. Just that we don't need to take huge risks early on to do it. 

They have huge problems at centre back and midfield. I'm excited to see what a fresh Timo can do against that backline. Cautiously optimistic, walking away with a draw wouldn't be the worst result but a win would be massive.