• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Atletico Madrid 0 (3 - 0 on aggregate)

11 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Am I alone in thinking this might be a bit of a "free hit"? We should go into the game intending to win the tie, but if we do not, I won't feel like its the end of the world.

CL has always been a free hit for TT.

Top 4 is the only requirement for this season. 

TT has proven the squad is good enough to compete with Europe’s best. 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

Fingers crossed for tonight. I'd love to get through and get either Real Madrid (who we have only played three times in our history and never in the CL) or Dortmund (who we have never played). Porto would also be acceptable although not as fun. So it'll be PSG or Bayern. 

Edited by Bridge Soldier

19 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Am I alone in thinking this might be a bit of a "free hit"? We should go into the game intending to win the tie, but if we do not, I won't feel like its the end of the world.

I'm with you in as much as I don't think winning or losing this tie matters as much as winning our next 3 or 4 league games. It's daft really, because you want to make the CL to compete in the CL and it's a dangerous way of thinking to fall into to prioritise qualification above all else. But then I think, as opposed to other clubs who have fallen foul with that approach, we genuinely are very close to being a top team that wins things, and being able to offer one or two key signings CL football next year is huge that. 

I want to see us compete in this game. 

Also, I want Luis Suarez to get injured. And sent off. And for his shorts to fall down on camera and for everyone to point and laugh at him. And maybe also Branislav Ivanovic to take to the field and deck him in the face.

If I get those things, we can go out and I'll survive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ham   
10 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm with you in as much as I don't think winning or losing this tie matters as much as winning our next 3 or 4 league games. It's daft really, because you want to make the CL to compete in the CL and it's a dangerous way of thinking to fall into to prioritise qualification above all else. But then I think, as opposed to other clubs who have fallen foul with that approach, we genuinely are very close to being a top team that wins things, and being able to offer one or two key signings CL football next year is huge that. 

I want to see us compete in this game. 

Also, I want Luis Suarez to get injured. And sent off. And for his shorts to fall down on camera and for everyone to point and laugh at him. And maybe also Branislav Ivanovic to take to the field and deck him in the face.

If I get those things, we can go out and I'll survive.

😅

Chrisb   

If those things happen to Luis Suarez then I would happily take a 5 nil humping! 

paulw66   

Difficult one to approach really. If they score first, it will difficult to wrestle back. Can see a game similar to the first, which is cagey.

If we score first, it changes little as they need 2 to progress. 

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Difficult one to approach really. If they score first, it will difficult to wrestle back. Can see a game similar to the first, which is cagey.

If we score first, it changes little as they need 2 to progress. 

Not simple, but I'd have said perfect for the way we are set up under TT.  Keeping the ball without giving away chances is what we do.  If (or rather when eventually) AM have to press high, there will be plenty of opportunities to counter attack.

It fits the new way we are playing perfectly.

We will go cautiously here. 

Mendy

Azpilicueta Christensen Rüdiger

James Kanté Kovacic Alonso

Havertz Werner

Giroud

• Like 1

Sciatika   

I had my vaccine yesterday, so maybe I am feeling a little bit Wenger.

Edited by Sciatika

I guess too soon for Silva to start.  Strong defence and pace up front ought to be the way.  Can't see the point of Giroud unless we are going to get players around him - which we won't unless the scoreline changes (when he can be added to the front line).

Mendy

Azpilicueta Christensen Rüdiger

James Kanté Kovacic Chilwell

Havertz Pulisic

Werner

A lot of chasing for the AMs and CF I guess, so early subs and I expect all 4 available AMs will come on at some point.