• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Atletico Madrid 0 (3 - 0 on aggregate)

JaneB   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Champions League, Round of 16, 2nd Leg match against Atletico Madrid at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Wednesday, 17th March 2021 (Local UK time/date) (Live on BT Sport)

paulw66   

Funny one here..........on the face of it, a 1-0 away win is a great start, but if they score first in the 2nd leg, it will be a very nervous affair. 

bert19   

First goal could well be key here.  If we get it, they absolutely have to come out at us with a swift response and score twice.  If they get it, we've really got to push for two on the night I would think.

A Chelsea goal in the first 20 mins would be massive. Gives them a mountain to climb by having to take risks going forward. 

I just hope we get  a good strong ref for this game, to watch out for Suarez's usual cheating and gamesmanship

bert19   
2 hours ago, blueandproud said:

I just hope we get  a good strong ref for this game, to watch out for Suarez's usual cheating and gamesmanship

Quite

I expect they're lining up the one guy who retires at the end of the season .

Just in case.

paulw66   
19 hours ago, bert19 said:

A Chelsea goal in the first 20 mins would be massive. Gives them a mountain to climb by having to take risks going forward. 

An early Chelsea goal changes little.

At kick off, they need to score twice to qualify.

If we score at SB, they need to score twice to qualify. 

bert19   
5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

An early Chelsea goal changes little.

At kick off, they need to score twice to qualify.

If we score at SB, they need to score twice to qualify. 

And if we don't score, they only need one to push it to Extra Time, something Simeone hasn't been afraid to do in the past. 

At least if we score first, it means they have to score at least twice and have to risk more going forward to do that.  If they were to go 1-0 & then 2-0 up, that changes the dynamic of the tie completely as they have either level footing or a lead to protect and we've all seen in the past how dangerous they are in those situations. 

An early Chelsea goal may not be a massive mathematical difference, but in terms of setting the tone and forcing them into changing their approach to go after us more it could be huge.  

I don’t expect Atletico to come flying at us from kick off, it isn’t Simeone’s style, especially in Europe. They will play a patient game, knowing a 1-0 win in 90 mins is a decent result for them, taking it to extra time.

Whilst an early goal for us doesn’t ultimately change what they need to do to qualify in terms of goals scored,  what it does change is that they would need to get the 2 goals in 90 mins, rather than 120 mins, which would mean they would need to come out and play, leaving gaps and spaces for us to attack them.

What we do know about this Chelsea team under Tuchel is that the team are comfortable with the ball and keeping the ball and absorbing a high press with nice close passing in all areas of the pitch, so if/when Atletico do need to go on the attack, we should stand a good chance of dealing with it. The only concern is that Jorginho is important to that working and us being able to play nice quick passes as so much of it goes through him and he won’t be there for this one, so it makes it a little bit trickier, will mean a big game for Kovacic.

I personally believe Chilwell will start as he’s stronger defensively than Alonso and the only other real decision for Tuchel will be whether to play Giroud or Havertz in attack and whether CHO or Ziyech starts. I think we’ll see:

Mendy

Azpi
Christensen
Rudiger

James
Kante
Kovacic
Chilwell

CHO
Werner
Havertz

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

This is on a knife edge. AM will still be feeling confident as they only need the one and then they have the bonus of extra time to get an away goal. 

One really important insurance policy TT needs to do, is to place Willy on the bench. Mendy appears to be dire at saving penalties and Willy is better than Kepa at doing so also. I hope he is thinking about this in case it goes to PK's. 

As for the team, another consideration is height. AM are pretty good at set pieces so we are going to need our better headers of the ball on. 

Mendy 

Dave/Rudi AC Silva/Rudi

James Kova Kante Alonso 

Havertz Puli

Giroud

Subs: Willy, Zouma, Dave/Rudi/Silva, Billy, CHO, Ziyech, Werner

Edited by King Kante