• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 West Bromwich Albion 5

9 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

It was completely unnecessary. Christensen and Rudiger have been pretty solid. Why upset it all just to start Silva and Zouma? Clearly because Tuchel thought it’s only West Brom. Why rest Mount and Havertz who have looked good in recent games? Because it’s only West Brom. Why give Werner a game to get his confidence back? Because it’s only West Brom.

Surely it's because Rudiger, Christensen, Mount, Havertz and Giroud have all just been playing with their national teams? The idea they were left out as a result of hubris rather than sheer physical necessity is a bit of a leap imo. 

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Expected goals....

Chelsea 2.6

WBA 1.47

Some brilliant finishing 

...and diabolical defending. Still can’t get the performances of Alonso and Zouma out of my head. ****ing hell, it was almost like they tried to concede. 

chelboy   
6 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

...and diabolical defending. Still can’t get the performances of Alonso and Zouma out of my head. ****ing hell, it was almost like they tried to concede. 

Even though the defenders were poor today the midfield in front of them were worse at defending.  This reminded me of Sheffield 3-0 last season. Our midfield was poor with the ball and without it. I don’t think any defence can look solid when the midfield is that much of a liability. 

On another note I hope Tuchel learns that Zouma and Christensen can not play together in any system. The amount of attackers I have seen run in between them is alarming. They become worse when they play alongside eachother. There’s something about that partnership that just doesn’t click. 

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

If the UCL is TT's agenda now he'd better remember that it didn't save RDM his next season. It may not have been made clear to him but CFC requires Champions League football whatever other trophies are collected along the way.

As I said during the game, maybe we all bought into the talk of us winning the UCL that the media was spinning during the last two weeks. It made us forget what a useless lot our players are capable of being when the going gets tough.

Said something similar a few weeks ago and got lambasted. 

9 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Sorry, but I’m not buying this. We have been top four in March. So how can it be gone or a loss like this brushed off since finishing top four was going to be difficult? 

Sure if we continue to produce results like this we’ll be ****ed. But to claim that top four is very, very difficult when we are fighting it out with West Ham and Spurs is a bit of a joke really. We have no one but ourselves to blame if we manage to miss out. Time for the players to stand up and perform. Far too many diabolical performances today (as you rightly point out). Zouma is a player that can produce good performances but he isn’t one to do it consistently. That can be said about far too many “key” players in this squad. 

This seems a confused and confusing position to me. You aren't "buying" that a top 4 finish will be difficult, but also we have "far too many" players who aren't consistent. Are we so good that we should should finishing top 4, or not consistent enough to do it? Make a choice.

The Chelsea I saw in December wasn't one I had any faith was going to win enough points over the remaining 20-odd games to beat off all of Utd, Leicester, Everton, Spurs and West Ham. Two of them we're now far enough behind that I'd be surprised if anyone here expects us to overhaul them, but in fairness one of their number's has been made up by Liverpool collapsing. If at that time you saw differently (us significantly improving, none of the others doing the same, most of them deteriorating) then fine, but feel free to say so.

The idea I've "brushed off" this defeat is yours, not mine. This is damaging. I just think the far more significant damage was done a long while ago. We perform at even just par in the first 4 months of the season and an embarrassing defeat immediately after an international break can be tolerated in the scheme of things. The exact reason it cannot be tolerated is that earlier results have left us in a weak, vulnerable position.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Yes. Since 2016/17 whenever the going has got tough, we have crumbled. 

Plenty of talent, but not enough cock and balls...   Today reminded me of West Ham at home in 2006..... 1-0 down with ten men and we battered them (a team that finished 6th) 4-1 

Terry, Lampard, Drogba all played like 2 players and made it seem as though we had the man advantage 

I thought about that game today as well. And his this team is a million mikes from that one. How spoiled we were!

13 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

You don't need a random number to prove a random theory.

Fell free to ignore anything with a number or an equation in it.

14 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Sorry, but I’m not buying this. We have been top four in March. So how can it be gone or a loss like this brushed off since finishing top four was going to be difficult? 

Sure if we continue to produce results like this we’ll be ****ed. But to claim that top four is very, very difficult when we are fighting it out with West Ham and Spurs is a bit of a joke really. We have no one but ourselves to blame if we manage to miss out. Time for the players to stand up and perform. Far too many diabolical performances today (as you rightly point out). Zouma is a player that can produce good performances but he isn’t one to do it consistently. That can be said about far too many “key” players in this squad. 

We also only scored 11 goals in 10 games - no surprise that we'd struggle against any team that went a goal up against us.  
In this game, WBA weren't a better team than us, not even 11vs10.  But they did grab a couple of goals against the run of play and then knew how to exploit our hurried passing about the back.  It was the kind of thing that happens randomly in the Prem, but hadn't happened randomly in the first 10 games.

In other words we have been running it too thin to expect it to last till May.

TT took over when we had 29 points off 19 games.  Any drop off of form was going to hurt, and a drop off was pretty much inevitable.

24 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

That can be said about far too many “key” players in this squad

The players are not the issue.  It was the wasted first half of the season that is the problem.  At current rates it is 29 for the first half of the season, 38 for the second, and a total of 67.  If we fall short by 5 or 6 points, I think we all know where to point.

Just watched the highlights.

Deary me , there was some awful defending on show .

Most of their goals we outnumbered them with bodies in the box but those bodies either assisted the goals or adopted a watching brief . 

Awful.

33 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Liverpool collapsing

They win tonight they are only 2 points behind us. 

Jasonb   

I watched though didn't have time to digest the team before ko. 

Thought we were decent until Silva went off, with both Kovacic and Alonso looking good.

I'm not sure if Allardyce deserves any credit as they scored two before half time but we fell apart defensively.

With needing to replace a defender TT lost one of his substitutes to change a game.

I watched earlier in the season when WBA destroyed Liverpool and I didn't bet today feeling they were more rested and they would have been planning this all week.

Jealous at the goals they scored and see at least for the next fortnight we have games every 3 days, it is going to be a harsh season.