• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

Good defence, luck and a moment of brilliance from Mount (don't discredit the inch perfect pass from Jorginho either) won this match.

I thought Tuchel had the right game plan but the execution offensively was really bad. Clearly we were going to hurt them with long passes down the flanks, but the timing was painfully bad, from the passer to the runner. It was a painful watch at times. Havertz was completely nullified which is not surprising when you see how intense and well organized Porto was. Really impressed by the cooperation between midfield and defense. Perfect distances pretty much all game. Lethal forwards. This is a really good team. We should be very very happy with a 2-0 result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chrisb   
1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I love waking up the next day after a result like this.

I would too if I hadn’t smashed half a bottle of Port on top of 2 bottles of wine! Not feeling my best this morning. 😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Porto were good and had clearly done their homework. They flooded our midfield with a high press and forced us to play either long or through the wing backs. For one reason or another our long passing was way off which meant we kept giving away possession and failed to take advantage of the extra space the front three saw.

Werner and Havertz were not great but I don't really blame them because of how Porto forced us to disconnect and the poor quality long balls. Key to remember that Mount, Pulisic and Giroud also barely had a kick which indicates a structural problem rather than individual. Christensen has been excellent however once Thiago came on he played a few brilliant early medium/long balls and we looked back to our usual selves. It's no slight on the other defenders that Thiago really is a class above. It seems the pattern is after a long lay off it takes him one calamity game against West Brom to sort himself out. 

James and Chilwell both battled away and defended superbly. After a slow start for both under TT I think they should now cement themselves as first choice. Kante and Pulisic both looked fit and lively with the limited opportunities they had. 

In what was a very difficult game we've come away with a 2-0 away win and similar to the AM tie, Porto will now have to take more risks in the second leg. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneB   
22 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Doesn't surprise me given that this is UEFA's choice not CFCnet's.  He was very good.  Trouble is that it is invariably Jorginho that creates time and space for Kovacic.  And of course because punters on here are convinced that Jorginho is too weak/slow/soft to play as a shield in front of the back 3, they refuse to notice when he has just done it well.

The last player we had who was thinking as many steps ahead as Jorginho does was the young Ray Wilkins - when he was still called Butch.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

I thought Porto were good and had clearly done their homework. They flooded our midfield with a high press and forced us to play either long or through the wing backs. For one reason or another our long passing was way off which meant we kept giving away possession and failed to take advantage of the extra space the front three saw.

Werner and Havertz were not great but I don't really blame them because of how Porto forced us to disconnect and the poor quality long balls. Key to remember that Mount, Pulisic and Giroud also barely had a kick which indicates a structural problem rather than individual. Christensen has been excellent however once Thiago came on he played a few brilliant early medium/long balls and we looked back to our usual selves. It's no slight on the other defenders that Thiago really is a class above. It seems the pattern is after a long lay off it takes him one calamity game against West Brom to sort himself out. 

James and Chilwell both battled away and defended superbly. After a slow start for both under TT I think they should now cement themselves as first choice. Kante and Pulisic both looked fit and lively with the limited opportunities they had. 

In what was a very difficult game we've come away with a 2-0 away win and similar to the AM tie, Porto will now have to take more risks in the second leg. 

Excellent post. I was saying something similar last night (but with not as much detail) that Porto actually played really well and that we should think about that when criticising players or the performance as a whole. For instance, I made a comment by replying to someone that both Puli and Giroud didn't do that much either when coming on and a number of people thought I was having a pop at them, rather than trying to defend Werner and Harvetz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bert19   

Whilst I largely agree with what @Willian Dollar Baby wrote above, I'm so glad that we were brave in that last ten minutes, went for & got that second goal.  Made such a difference and showed a bit of a proactive approach and a bit of self-belief that I feel like we haven't seen for a while.  Thinking we could win by more, but doing so in a measured way and executing it.  Really good to see.  

Enjoyed Chilwell and Rudiger's performances throughout the 90 and thought Reece did a good job shutting down that right side.  

Very positive in the end. The next goal being a Chelsea one should do the job. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holymoly   
6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

The last player we had who was thinking as many steps ahead as Jorginho does was the young Ray Wilkins - when he was still called Butch.

Lol k. So much for Zola, Fabregas, Mata, Ballack, Lampard, Gullit, Deco to name a few off the top of my head then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, King Kante said:

Excellent post. I was saying something similar last night (but with not as much detail) that Porto actually played really well and that we should think about that when criticising players or the performance as a whole. For instance, I made a comment by replying to someone that both Puli and Giroud didn't do that much either when coming on and a number of people thought I was having a pop at them, rather than trying to defend Werner and Harvetz. 

Yes, but even then our goals came from mistakes that, had we made, would have this thread already on a dozen more pages of replies than it is. Because mistakes happen, and they happen even with good players playing otherwise well. It doesn't make for great viewing, but it is why being patient and solid most often pays off and is generally a good idea. Last night was the right way to set up for the result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now