• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Crystal Palace 1 Chelsea 4

Recommended Posts

paulw66   

Back to the game on Saturday, the biggest difference / improvement was that we scored a couple of half chances for goals 1 and 2, and suddenly we were two up after 10 minutes. Both the Havertz and Pulisic goals were not easy chances, but the game then becomes much easier.

Granted, we could have scored more, but if Havertz can continue like this and Pulisic can stay fit, we suddenly have a new dimension to the attack. 

On Havertz, I thought whilst he could have got a hat trick, he really showed his class.......his movement and touch was sublime to watch. If he had scored from the lift over the defenders head, it would have been goal of the season territory. Clearly needed some time to adjust and am very excited to see what he can do next season. Someone actually called him crap in the Porto match thread. 

On Pulisic........IF he can stay fit, he gets goals. Whilst the first was a better finish, it is his ability to get into the right areas for goal 2, that is more valuable. Easy goals once you get in the right place. Fingers crossed his hammys hold up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   

BTW, did anyone notice the similarities between Benteke's goal and Drogba's first ever Chelsea goal at SP?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say in my 45 years of watching Chelsea that was the most comfortable away win at Palace, We actually have pretty decent record there actually with just the occasional defeat top endure but it is usually a tight game mostly with just the one or two goals in it. So saturday was very satisfying I must say that first half we were as dominant as I have seen us this season in the end I was almost dissapointed that we hadn't banged in a few more. Lovely to see Havertz in that form what a lovely player he is, Rudiger Zouma and Azpi were all excellent at the back too. Kovavic really is a top class player and Mount continues to develop too he will be some player is that continues. Hopefully a similar level performance tomorrow

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

BTW, did anyone notice the similarities between Benteke's goal and Drogba's first ever Chelsea goal at SP?

Yes, was at that game right behind the goal ( borrowing a palace mates season ticket) it was similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
Just now, fillerywhereru said:

Yes, was at that game right behind the goal ( borrowing a palace mates season ticket) it was similar.

Benteke is out of contract in the summer. Really hope he goes abroad.

Perhaps Roman should play it safe and sign him for Vitesse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   

One other thing I meant to mention........the foul by Kouyate on Chilwell. That is the kind of thing that is never a red (and shouldn't be) but there should be more punishment than a yellow. There is no attempt at all to play the ball, he simply (and sensibly) decides he is going to end a dangerous attack on purpose by wiping the player out. He ends up with the same punishment as someone who tries to win a tackle but arrives a split second late, or someone who is done by a clever bit of skill or quick feet. 

The fact the resultant free kick was buried by Zouma was swift, sharp justice, but most times it doesn't happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   

A Palace supporting mate of mine just sent me the following stat:

In the first 27 minutes of the game, there were 171 completed passes by the attacking team in the opponents half. Chelsea were responsible for 170

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
23 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

One other thing I meant to mention........the foul by Kouyate on Chilwell. That is the kind of thing that is never a red (and shouldn't be) but there should be more punishment than a yellow. There is no attempt at all to play the ball, he simply (and sensibly) decides he is going to end a dangerous attack on purpose by wiping the player out. He ends up with the same punishment as someone who tries to win a tackle but arrives a split second late, or someone who is done by a clever bit of skill or quick feet. 

The fact the resultant free kick was buried by Zouma was swift, sharp justice, but most times it doesn't happen. 

Lot of "silence" around that incident....I see where you are coming from pw but have to disagree about the severity of the challenge and the mild punishment of the player (as opposed to the karma team punishment.)....our guy was at full stretch and was wiped out thankfully missing an injury but by finest margins..... a red would not have been over harsh as there was deliberate intent,no where near the ball and halting a clear attacking move....a double mild yellow sending off pales in comparison...imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
1 minute ago, chara said:

Lot of "silence" around that incident....I see where you are coming from pw but have to disagree about the severity of the challenge and the mild punishment of the player (as opposed to the karma team punishment.)....our guy was at full stretch and was wiped out thankfully missing an injury but by finest margins..... a red would not have been over harsh as there was deliberate intent,no where near the ball and halting a clear attacking move....a double mild yellow sending off pales in comparison...imho.

Would like to see a sin bin for these type of fouls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/04/2021 at 11:06 AM, My Blood Is Blue said:

I completely agree, I’m not trying to excuse him not passing, but many on here were slating him not long ago, but think he’s really stepped up and taken on board what Tuchel has asked of him, which is a massive plus for the team as defensively he’s definitely better than Alonso and he’s now starting to understand the role in this formation more, which should give us more balance as a team defensively and in attack.

He’ll never be as clinical in the final 3rd as Alonso and I can see certain opponents/situations where we’d still want to be playing Alonso, but for me ‘Chilly’ is now no.1 in that position.

(I bet he starts Alonso vs Porto now!)

Oh for sure. I have been a critic of Chilwell as I think, whilst a good player, he was overpriced due to his passport and I am not certain he has that much room for improvement. However, it is very pleasing to see he is able to adapt to what is required as Alonso cannot do that (play in a back 4.)

As for Alonso, I agree, I have defended Alonso a lot more than most people as, like you say, for certain situations and formations he is actually a pretty effective player. If we continue with 3atb, I am very happy for Alonso to be LB2 as when we boss possession he proves to be a very effective in the final third.

As for Porto, it is a tough one to decide who to play. Chilwell will 100% be needed against City as Alonso will get roasted against them, so I see the logic in starting with Alonso; even if Porto to target him with their wingers/wb's. Personally, I would start Alonso tonight but have it in mind to sub him (early if needs be) if Porto are playing on his weaknesses too much. 

Edited by King Kante
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.