• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

RIP Prince Philip

JaneB   

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has died, Buckingham Palace has announced | ITV News

Just thinking of The Queen.

He led a full, long and very privileged life and could be a grumpy old *** but still, a sad momentous day I think.

Don't expect anyone or everyone to be a royalist or want to comment but here's a thread anyway.

Always one for a pithy comment. I'll miss his trenchant wit (commenting on the Duke of York's house in 1986: "It looks like a tart's bedroom") and straightforward comments ("I would like to go to Russia very much, although the bastards murdered half my family"). Seemed to do a good job, though, except when we stood outside my school in the New Forest in the pouring rain for 30 minutes waiting for them to go past, and they were both fast asleep, heads thrown back. Got p***-soaked and caught a cold. Confirmed republican ever since.

• Haha 1

Sciatika   

I worry about how HMQ will cope without him. I have always had a lot of time for him even when he practised the art of 'Dontopedalogy' because he never meant anything by them.

Here's a story. Lynwood Westray, the butler at the White House was with Prince Philip during a visit with the Queen in 1979. After dinner, Westray and another butler noticed that the Prince was in the Red Room looking at the paintings. Westray and the other butler were serving after-dinner liqueurs.

"Your majesty, would you like a cordial?" Westray asked him. "I'll take one if you'll let me serve you," Prince Philip responded. Westray said afterwards, "There we were standing there. I was holding the glasses and my buddy was holding the liqueurs and we looked at each other, and I said 'If that's the only way you'll have it, we'll go along with it.' And the prince served us what he was having, and the three of us had a drink and a conversation. It was an honour to let him do it."

This story says a lot about him.

Edited by Sciatika
  • Like 2

I always found him quite funny to be honest , barracks humour I'm sure , and a great servant to the Queen who really deserves a bit of good fortune after the ruckus with the ginger whinger and his gold digging spouse so I especially feel sorry for her . 

• Like 1

Ham   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I always found him quite funny to be honest , barracks humour I'm sure , and a great servant to the Queen who really deserves a bit of good fortune after the ruckus with the ginger whinger and his gold digging spouse so I especially feel sorry for her . 

Good thing the ginger whinger isn't actually directly related to Pip otherwise he'd have gotten it both barrels for that nonsense last month.  

I bet his dad is thoroughly ashamed of him, wherever he's living these days. 

RIP Pip. 

JaneB   
29 minutes ago, Ham said:

Good thing the ginger whinger isn't actually directly related to Pip otherwise he'd have gotten it both barrels for that nonsense last month.  

I bet his dad is thoroughly ashamed of him, wherever he's living these days. 

RIP Pip. 

Ha ha!!!  Easy to believe but not true I don't think Ham.  Diana didn't meet JH until after Harry was born and the red hair is a Spencer family trait.

Just saying.....

Ham   
1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Ha ha!!!  Easy to believe but not true I don't think Ham.  Diana didn't meet JH until after Harry was born and the red hair is a Spencer family trait.

Just saying.....

I'll do some research and possibly return to amend this 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I'll do some research and possibly return to amend this 😉

It's true - James Hewitt said so himself...  So did Diana.  MRD apparently does not apply.

(Edit - as in Jane is right, they both said the affair was when she was married, but after both Princes were born.  sorry if that was confusing)

chara   
On 4/9/2021 at 7:35 AM, blue moon said:

Always one for a pithy comment. I'll miss his trenchant wit (commenting on the Duke of York's house in 1986: "It looks like a tart's bedroom") and straightforward comments ("I would like to go to Russia very much, although the bastards murdered half my family"). Seemed to do a good job, though, except when we stood outside my school in the New Forest in the pouring rain for 30 minutes waiting for them to go past, and they were both fast asleep, heads thrown back. Got p***-soaked and caught a cold. Confirmed republican ever since.

He came to the Island I lived in the Caribbean...off the Royal Yacht met by a small group on the dock...very close up and personal..:"This close " as I said to the Patriotic Mrs C...Her Majesty came some time later with him...alas only watched them go by in a limo at the end of the road leading to where I worked...but sorry bm...in lovely Caribbean sunshine! (A week of snow as I write..justice!)...Oh and I did meet his Mother-in-Law ...one on one.....

• Like 1