• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Porto 1 (2 - 1 on aggregate)

Diddymen   

Thought we played like a European team yesterday, by that I mean, any slight touch and we went down and got a foul. I think that was / is the Tuchel effect. Played Porto at their own game and they didn’t like it one bit, especially their fool of a manger.

WELL DONE BOYS

14 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Pulisic was fouled 11 times last night. The most in a CL game since records started. And he survived!

He's been brilliant the last couple of games. The "we should get rid of Pulisic" voices have dropped a bit recently. 

He really impressed me last night, he dealt with many very physical tackles and fouls last night and never stepped back or hid from the occasion, constantly taking one for the team to help slot the game down etc. Really impressive and professional performance. 

I don't think his quality has ever been in doubt, at least not from me, but it's his ability to maintain full fitness for long periods of time that worries me because without that he will struggle to play at his peak performance very often. Currently, though, he's on a decent run and seems to know his body very well and understands when he needs to stop, before picking up an injury (eg. WBA). For me he is one of our most talented players, we just need him to be able to do it for a full season so we can truly benefit from it.

chelboy   
8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Werner, Havertz and Pulisic will get 50 between them (assuming Haaland doesn't push them onto the bench).
It took TT days to sort out the defence.  Scoring big will take a bit longer.

50? I would take 25-30 right now if I could. I need to see long periods of form from all of them before I can have such expectations. We really need to see what the squad looks like for next season before we expect a title push. We are still lacking a regular goal scorer and a midfield that can do multiple jobs. We have the 2nd best squad but I still think we have the 3rd best starting eleven. 

If we really want Pulisic to be our new Hazard then we will need him for 3/4 of the season not just the final run in. Getting Werner and Pulisic into the same team would also be tricky as both play best in the left hand channel. There’s still a lot of problems to solve but I would say Tuchel is doing a very good job and the way he has us playing helps in CL football. For next season in the league we will need to play better attacking football while maintaining a good defence. This will be the tricky part for Tuchel. 

It’s truly amazing we are back in the final four of the CL. I’m desperately hoping we face Real Madrid (we’ve played Liverpool in far too many CL semis). 

As for the game, we were awful first half and I’d like to remember we were pretty bad in the first half for the first game as well. However, on balance we were the better team and deserved to go through. But it sure was no walk-over... 

Performances were good from Jorginho and Pulisic. The rest can all do better. 

42 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Currently, though, he's on a decent run and seems to know his body very well and understands when he needs to stop, before picking up an injury (eg. WBA). 

I think people jumped to conclusions about that.  A man down, TT clearly wanted to get Mount on as he has more legs than anyone but Kante.
So he was in the process of taking Werner off, and then suddenly Pulisic sad "wait a bit", let me check my hamstring.  but with the half re-starting, TT just said, forget it, I'll swap Mount for you instead.
I don't think that counts as a proper injury.

1 hour ago, Diddymen said:

Thought we played like a European team yesterday, by that I mean, any slight touch and we went down and got a foul. I think that was / is the Tuchel effect. Played Porto at their own game and they didn’t like it one bit, especially their fool of a manger.

WELL DONE BOYS

We did.  Not the first time Chelsea have done this, and I am all for it.  

33 minutes ago, chelboy said:

If we really want Pulisic to be our new Hazard then we will need him for 3/4 of the season not just the final run in.

He is 22, has 193 club appearances and 36 US caps.  He gets kicked a lot but seems 100% committed to me.

People need to move on from this made of glass idea.  It was never accurate.

paulw66   
37 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

It’s truly amazing we are back in the final four of the CL. I’m desperately hoping we face Real Madrid (we’ve played Liverpool in far too many CL semis). 

As for the game, we were awful first half and I’d like to remember we were pretty bad in the first half for the first game as well. However, on balance we were the better team and deserved to go through. But it sure was no walk-over... 

Performances were good from Jorginho and Pulisic. The rest can all do better. 

you say that, but how many shots on target did we concede? 

the onus was on them to do something. they didn't 

edit - they had 2 shots on target all night, with one obviously being the goal in the 93rd minute. This was from a team who needed to score twice to stand any chance. 

Edited by paulw66

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

you say that, but how many shots on target did we concede? 

the onus was on them to do something. they didn't 

edit - they had 2 shots on target all night, with one obviously being the goal in the 93rd minute. This was from a team who needed to score twice to stand any chance. 

Yes, you are right. But for me football is also to be able to play a bit yourself and we didn’t perform with the ball at all. I also thought we were sloppy I’m defense at times but they didn’t have the quality to punish us. 

We are struggling to create and last night we were even worse when it came to that. It was just an observation on my behalf. But the result was massive and the job was done. That’s what counts. But to win it  (the CL) we need to play a lot better than last night. 

• Thanks 1

paulw66   
5 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Yes, you are right. But for me football is also to be able to play a bit yourself and we didn’t perform with the ball at all. I also thought we were sloppy I’m defense at times but they didn’t have the quality to punish us. 

We are struggling to create and last night we were even worse when it came to that. It was just an observation on my behalf. But the result was massive and the job was done. That’s what counts. But to win it  (the CL) we need to play a lot better than last night. 

When you are 2-0 up, you don't need to worry about creating. 

We didn't commit men forward most of the time. It would have been foolish to do so. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

When you are 2-0 up, you don't need to worry about creating. 

We didn't commit men forward most of the time. It would have been foolish to do so. 

I think what would have been more interesting would be if Porto had really tried to get a goal in the first 85 mins.  That would have left them much more vulnerable at the back.

Also I was very impressed at the number of times that Pulisic took the ball, beat his man and started a run into space that should have lead to a lot of great chances.
First half they got free fouls on him, but second half they kept being booked.  A full 90 with a booking per shirt pull on a breaking forward would have made the game either 11 vs 8 or given us a stack full of chances.