• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Porto 1 (2 - 1 on aggregate)

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Yes, you are right. But for me football is also to be able to play a bit yourself and we didn’t perform with the ball at all. I also thought we were sloppy I’m defense at times but they didn’t have the quality to punish us. 

We are struggling to create and last night we were even worse when it came to that. It was just an observation on my behalf. But the result was massive and the job was done. That’s what counts. But to win it  (the CL) we need to play a lot better than last night. 

The way Porto played just about exploited the leniency of the referees in both legs which increased the effectiveness of their team press and affected the flow of our buildup from our half. An early yellow to any of their midfielders or defenders possibly would’ve eased up a bit of the aggressiveness of their marking which could’ve given us that slightly more breathing space to knit passes together. 

Neither Madrid nor Pool play that way and don’t have to in general because they have more quality players than Porto so I expect our team play wrt control via passing to be better in the Semi’s but the task will be harder given the next opponent should be tougher than Porto. 

23 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think what would have been more interesting would be if Porto had really tried to get a goal in the first 85 mins.  That would have left them much more vulnerable at the back.

Also I was very impressed at the number of times that Pulisic took the ball, beat his man and started a run into space that should have lead to a lot of great chances.
First half they got free fouls on him, but second half they kept being booked.  A full 90 with a booking per shirt pull on a breaking forward would have made the game either 11 vs 8 or given us a stack full of chances.

Pulisic reminded me of Hazard yesterday.

• Like 1

Diddymen   

having watched the highlights - I actually think we had the better chances.

Pulisic I think ,maybe should have scored with that lovely pass from Zyech at the end, who combined well with Giroud

17 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

having watched the highlights - I actually think we had the better chances.

Pulisic I think ,maybe should have scored with that lovely pass from Zyech at the end, who combined well with Giroud

That was cool.  I know he is slipping down the pecking order (or others up it), but I do like Ziyech.

Diddymen   

He did well there.

I dont blame Pulisic for missing that. He was everywhere in the second half - he looked shattered (and probably bruised)

Edited by Diddymen

Revealed: The X-rated Porto dirty tricks that sparked Champions League row with Chelsea
Exclusive: Chelsea deny claims that Thomas Tuchel told Sergio Conceicao to f--- off with Portuguese club's behaviour under scrutiny
ByMatt Law, FOOTBALL NEWS CORRESPONDENT14 April 2021 • 1:27pm

Thomas Tuchel has a word or two with his Porto counterpart following Tuesday night's fiery encounter in Seville CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
Chelsea have denied that head coach Thomas Tuchel told Porto manager Sergio Conceicao to “f--- off” at the end of their Champions League quarter-final victory and have been left shocked by the behaviour of the Portuguese club that is rated among the worst they have faced over the past decade.
Telegraph Sport can reveal the incredible lengths Porto went to try to wind up Tuchel, his Chelsea players and staff that resulted in tempers spilling over at the end of Tuesday night’s game in Seville. Porto won the second leg by a single goal, but Tuchel’s team progressed with a 2-1 aggregate success.
It is understood Chelsea players and staff faced calls of “filho da puta”, which roughly translates to ‘son of a b----’, and ‘suck my d---’ in some of the worst behaviour long-serving officials and staff members can remember facing at a game in Europe or in England.
Porto could yet face a Uefa investigation over their dirty tricks, despite the fact Chelsea are unlikely to make an official complaint.
Tuchel clashed with Conceicao at the full-time whistle, when players from Chelsea and Porto also squared up with goalkeeper Edouard Mendy restraining Antonio Rüdiger, who had been pushed.
Conceicao claimed after the game that he had been “insulted” by Tuchel, with Porto reports accusing the German of telling the 46-year-old former Portugal international to “f--- off” after Chelsea’s 2-1 aggregate success that booked their place in the semi-finals.
But a Chelsea spokesman said the claim Tuchel had told Conceicao to “f*** off” was “nonsense” and insisted that there had definitely been no insult.
Trailing by two goals from last week’s first leg, Porto looked to wind the English club up at every opportunity during the second leg of the quarter-final tie, with Tuchel, his coaching staff and Chelsea’s substitutes receiving verbal abuse and goading throughout from Porto officials around the dug-out area.
Chelsea staff in the stands of Sevilla’s Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium were confronted, while players and staff who were asked for shirts by Porto players at the end of the game received verbal abuse when they requested to wait to make any exchanges until everybody was back in the tunnel area.
That contributed to the on-pitch clashes, as Chelsea players were angered by the calls of “filho da puta” and “suck my d---” that could be heard by those involved.
While a degree of disagreement is common-place in many games, the level to which Porto took it shocked Tuchel and Chelsea, making their quarter-final all the more sweet.
Conceicao and his staff also participated in the dirty tricks, as they not only argued with Tuchel on the touchline and attempted to put pressure on the officials, but also handed in their team-sheets late, were late out for kick-off and did not greet their opponents before the game or offer any congratulations after the tie.
And the bad behaviour was not restricted to the touchline or the pitch, as Chelsea officials were also said to be subjected to barracking and goading from Porto representatives in the directors’ box.
Porto were already in danger of facing an investigation from Uefa into their behaviour, following claims that representatives of the Portuguese club had called match officials “s--- eaters’ during their group stage defeat to Manchester City in October.
City had also been left furious by accusations that suggested Bernado Silva had been guilty of racism, something the Manchester club vehemently denied, and criticism of Fernandinho’s post-match comments. Manager Pep Guardiola was also said to have been angry about some of the dirty tricks he and his staff faced.

One of the many things I am proud of this Chelsea generation, is that they don't get wound up easily.  Even Rudiger invariably waits until after the final whistle.

AM and Porto - two fantastic learning experiences.

paulw66   
39 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

One of the many things I am proud of this Chelsea generation, is that they don't get wound up easily.  Even Rudiger invariably waits until after the final whistle.

AM and Porto - two fantastic learning experiences.

Yes

7 of our starting XI yesterday had never previously played in a CL QF (before last week) 

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yes

7 of our starting XI yesterday had never previously played in a CL QF (before last week) 

I'm surprised we have 4.  Azpi I guess is the only one who did it with us.
Silva, Kovacic and Giroud I presume, though only Silva started.
Ziyech probably for Ajax.

So correct me if I am wrong:  Azpi (Chelsea), Silva (PSG at least), Chilwell (Leicester as sub), Pulisic (Dortmund sub).

With Ziyech on as sub, Kovacic injured.  

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm surprised we have 4.  Azpi I guess is the only one who did it with us.
Silva, Kovacic and Giroud I presume, though only Silva started.
Ziyech probably for Ajax.

So correct me if I am wrong:  Azpi (Chelsea), Silva (PSG at least), Chilwell (Leicester as sub), Pulisic (Dortmund sub).

With Ziyech on as sub, Kovacic injured.  

To be honest, I was not sure. 

Mendy, Rudiger, James, Kante, Jorginho, Havertz, Mount all haven't. so it must be Silva, Azpi, Chilwell and Pulisic. 

Yes, Pulisic and Chilwell had both made sub appearances in the CL QF. So only 2, Silva and Azpi had started a CL QF from our starting XI yesterday (ignoring leg 1)

Edited by paulw66