• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester City 0

JaneB   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our FA Cup Semi-Final match against Manchester City at Wembley before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 17:30 hours on Saturday, 17th April 2021 (Local UK time/date) (Live on the BBC)

Best chance of silverware, got to go for it and don't be scared of them, Leeds won at their ground with 10 men, ball over the top seemed to work for them, don't want to here people saying league is the priority, REMEMBER if Arsenal somehow manage to win the Europa league and Liverpool fluke the champions league, the team in 4th don't qualify for the CL (I think that's right)

what happens if man city win the CL and man Utd win the Europa?

9 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

Best chance of silverware

Not even sure this is true - Betfair has us 7/2 for both CL and FAC.  

Certainly avoiding the big favourites Man City in the semi of the CL helps.

Usually I don't worry about the FA cup being an extra game as it is a week after the seasons ends.  But if it precedes the CL final, that will not help.

I'd play a weakened team (though not Gilmour - who presumably has been rested from the CL for this)

The counter argument is to just take one game at a time and not plan out the rest of the season.

41 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

Best chance of silverware, got to go for it and don't be scared of them, Leeds won at their ground with 10 men, ball over the top seemed to work for them, don't want to here people saying league is the priority, REMEMBER if Arsenal somehow manage to win the Europa league and Liverpool fluke the champions league, the team in 4th don't qualify for the CL (I think that's right)

Nothing if they finish in the top 4 (if you're talking about 4th spots qualification prospects.) 

As for this game, a lot depends on what happens against Porto, but I agree about balls over the top and exposing that back line to runners. 

paulw66   
6 hours ago, Worsebytheday said:

England can have 5 teams in the CL next season max. 

If Arsenal win the Europa and Liverpool win the CL but finish 5th or lower, then 4th would miss out. 

It would take 2 teams not in the top 4 to win the two European trophies. 

It needs to be the strongest team we can put out because a final against Leicester/Southampton awaits and you have to fancy our chances there, however, I wouldn't be shocked if Mount, Pulisic or the wing-backs needed a rest after the recent run of games, so we may see some rotation. I think we may well see:

Mendy

Azpi - Silva - Rudiger

CHO - Jorginho - Kante - Chilwell

Mount - Havertz - Werner

It's going to be a tough game, Pepe has had the luxury of being able to rotate a lot and give his key men plenty of rest so they're ready for the big games, so they'll be up for this and on top of their game... but, they are beatable.

Forget resting players, they should all be hungry to play

Mendy

Azpi.   Christensen (Zouma).  Rudiger

james (Odi)     Jorginho (Gilmore)   Kante.    Alonso

mount.     Werner (Abraham).  Pulisic (Odi)

id like to Odi get into the team, but can he be trusted as wingback against Foden or Stirling?

Alonso going forward should get a lot of space, as I think Marez will play and he doesn't track back a lot

I think we have to go with Werner or Abraham and go more direct, with over the top balls which city struggled with, against 10 man Leeds

paulw66   

Kovacic is ruled out of this one, and with doubts over Kante's fitness, it will be interesting to see what TT does in midfield.

Do you risk NK again, when we have a stack of games coming up in a short space of time, or do you throw Billy in, who hasn't played since.........Sheff utd?

Or you play someone else there. Dunno.

30 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Do you risk NK again, when we have a stack of games coming up in a short space of time, or do you throw Billy in, who hasn't played since.........Sheff utd?

I'd ask this a little differently.
Kepa and Gilmour have started every FA cup game so far, why stop now?  (I suspect that is why Gilmour didn't travel for Porto).

And if Gilmour isn't picked for this, WTF.......on loan.

Note:  4 players have started all 4 FAC games so far:  Kepa, Gilmour, Emerson and Zouma.

I'd expect all 4 + Abraham to start on Saturday.  Mason Mount as captain again if he plays.