• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

Kezza   

Werner would never have scored that Pulisic goal with that sort of composure. If we needed a speedster up top why not play Pulisic there. We have plenty of wing options but no quality centre forward option. Pulisic maybe the best bet. Drop Werner for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Werner would never have scored that Pulisic goal with that sort of composure. If we needed a speedster up top why not play Pulisic there. We have plenty of wing options but no quality centre forward option. Pulisic maybe the best bet. Drop Werner for sure.

I think you lose too much from Pulisic's game if he plays there though. Pulisic in the 'inside forward' role, means he can still push wide when needed and cut in and drive into the box and he can also receive the ball on the turn and beat his man, breaking the lines and taking defenders out of the game. If we play him through the middle I think he'd end up lost and relatively easily marked out of the game.

I think ultimately Tuchel wants the front 3 to be very fluid, which is why I think Werner plays as much as he does as he can play through the middle, but can also move wide to open up space for others.

I do agree though, currently, Werner is not scoring that goal, he's shooting much earlier than Pulisic did and probably high and wide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kezza   
5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think you lose too much from Pulisic's game if he plays there though. Pulisic in the 'inside forward' role, means he can still push wide when needed and cut in and drive into the box and he can also receive the ball on the turn and beat his man, breaking the lines and taking defenders out of the game. If we play him through the middle I think he'd end up lost and relatively easily marked out of the game.

I think ultimately Tuchel wants the front 3 to be very fluid, which is why I think Werner plays as much as he does as he can play through the middle, but can also move wide to open up space for others.

I do agree though, currently, Werner is not scoring that goal, he's shooting much earlier than Pulisic did and probably high and wide!

We have CHO who can play interchangeably in the front 3. Have no doubt CHO will shoot better than Werner as well as being more assertive and confident of himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arkie   
3 minutes ago, Kezza said:

We have CHO who can play interchangeably in the front 3. Have no doubt CHO will shoot better than Werner as well as being more assertive and confident of himself.

CHOs finishing is very poor. Not to say Werner deserves more game time, I just wouldn’t claim that CHO is a natural finisher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kezza said:

We have CHO who can play interchangeably in the front 3. Have no doubt CHO will shoot better than Werner as well as being more assertive and confident of himself.

CHO is nowhere near the level to play as one of the front 3 in this system. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

It amazes me the venom with which you hit back each time anyone dares to disagree with you over Kante. We all know that passing is not Kante's best quality. But my god, do you get excited the moment he misplaces a pass? 

"without fail picks the wrong option" - that is a ridiculously over the top statement

I often wonder which Kante you are watching. Yes, he misplaced a couple of passes in the first half. But he wasn't the only one. Even our forwards misplaced more passes than Kante, in the first and second half. As often the case, I think Kante had a good game all-round. 

I am usually one of the most critical of players and coaches. Interestingly, I remember it was you who once asked me if I ever liked any Chelsea manager. It may be that you've simply got a Kante thing going. It definitely looks that way. 

ITs not "hitting back" when someone disagrees with me about Kante at all , it's the constant Kovacic is bad because I'm backing Kante regardless ministry of disinformation vibe .

Kante is , and I have said this time and again, an absolutely fantastic player , runs his heart out for the side , tackles like a lion , breaks the lines genius . I wouldn't be without him , I would like someone who passed better nearer to him but that's it , the venom is entirely your own construct.

But he cannot pass and constantly picks the wrong option in the attacking third . It's that simple.  Great player , flawed , like Ramires before him. 

It's the same as Chilwell , all that energy and effort goes to waste if you blindly hoof the ball to the first man setting off a counter attack that eventually leads to a corner that the opposition score from.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't add much to what has already been said. A fantastic first 30 minutes and then a very, very competent CL semi-final 60 minutes. We really could have blown them away in those first 30 minutes but for very fine margins on runs and passes (and Werner did miss a sitter, but I think for the other opportunities it was others who didn't quite manage the right choice and time).

I think everyone played well. In another era I'd be worried about Mount playing that well against Real, because you'd think it would give them the idea to come knocking. 

Not needing to score is a significant tactical and strategic advantage in any game. We're often on the end of it when teams are happy to play for a draw or wait until late on to go for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
asvaberg   

For me, yesterdays MoM's were Kante and Rüdiger.

Kante for his effort, drive and courage.

Rüdiger for his strength, placement ability and safety.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
10 hours ago, JaneB said:

Sadly I bet Giroud cannot wait to leave :-(

TT's obsession with Werner is getting ridiculous :-(

And Lampard never picked him? Come on. The reason Werner plays is explained is below. 

Giroud isn't mobile enough for the game TT wants to play.

10 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I am sure Madrid would have loved to face Giroud instead of Werner. He needs to do better with his finishing but the guy is a constant threat with his speed, and that helps to keep defenders honest. We all know he needs to score more, but as it is he is our best option. Rather have Havertz on if not him. 

This.

Also, and nobody has said it because they hate Courtois, but that was an astonishing save. Yes, he absolutely should score, but astonishing reactions to get his boot out.... If our goalie was making that saved, we'd be going mad with praise. Credit where it is due, you big nosed c......

25 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

ITs not "hitting back" when someone disagrees with me about Kante at all , it's the constant Kovacic is bad because I'm backing Kante regardless ministry of disinformation vibe .

Kante is , and I have said this time and again, an absolutely fantastic player , runs his heart out for the side , tackles like a lion , breaks the lines genius . I wouldn't be without him , I would like someone who passed better nearer to him but that's it , the venom is entirely your own construct.

But he cannot pass and constantly picks the wrong option in the attacking third . It's that simple.  Great player , flawed , like Ramires before him. 

It's the same as Chilwell , all that energy and effort goes to waste if you blindly hoof the ball to the first man setting off a counter attack that eventually leads to a corner that the opposition score from.

 

Agreed. Kante was the same on Saturday when he ballsed up the counter in injury time. His weight of pass and choice of pass in the final third is awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
asvaberg   
9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Agreed. Kante was the same on Saturday when he ballsed up the counter in injury time. His weight of pass and choice of pass in the final third is awful.

Did you see how he picked up the RM clearance from his own pass - at the end of the match?

That's the spirit! (the pass was ok, actually)

But I agree: in general, his passes at the end of attacks are below par.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.