• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Manchester City 0 CHELSEA 1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2020/21

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

https://youtu.be/Qwvf2ilsogo

Come on you Blues!

In other news, the handle on my Chelsea mug broke off in the dishwasher this morning. Hope it isn't relevant 

Just to make sure we do this absolutely correctly, here is the video embedded :D 

• Thanks 1

Holymoly   

Don't know if I can stand watching this live. I felt the FA Cup loss against Arsenal was a fulcrum where the club could have either won and pushed on to dominance or, as it turned out, lost and became a team of nearly men. This year's FA Cup final went on to support that. Here we have another opportunity to change things for the good. The team when we won in Munich had paid its dues and the players' force of will and personality pulled us through to glory, their names forever being held in the highest regard.

Tonight we have a team of youngsters, none of whom will have the same desperation the likes of Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard and Drogba had, aware as they were of the fleeting opportunities to achieve greatness. They need to play their hearts out and I fear if even only one player has an off night we will be found wanting as a team once again. If we lose I believe Tuchel's reign will be short lived, possibly not making Christmas if we're not challenging for the league. The Euros mean that the off season will be extremely truncated again and if the players return to Cobham having lost the ultimate prize tonight I don't think we will start the season off very well at all.

Ours has been a recent history of "nearly" achieving something tangible, of "scraping" into the top four, of getting ourselves in to the position where we can win something then snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. When I watched us playing last season I didn't see a team of winners. I saw us being very lucky regarding the matches we had to play, opposition that played poorly or with weakened sides and games that turned on moments of individual brilliance. When we lost in Moscow it didn't hurt as much as it might have been as we were winning trophies else where, league titles, FA or League cups. Tonight is pivotal as we have not won anything for a while, and worse, most of these players have just lost things. It's a mindset and if we want the players to progress we need to win this game tonight. Losing can become a habit.

As you can tell I'm pessimistic about our chances tonight. City come into the game with a point to prove and I don't believe Tuchel can out manage Pep. I've got everything crossed. I just hope our players have stored away the performance of their lives for this game.

• Like 1

Chrisb   

For those going (or currently on their way) I hope you have a great trip, I thoroughly enjoyed Porto a few years ago when we last played there. For those watching on T.V. I hope it’s a great night with a great ending! For those like me who’ll be at work and keeping up via radios and the tinterweb I just hope it doesn’t compound what is already going to be a crap evening!

Come on The Chelse!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Don't know if I can stand watching this live. I felt the FA Cup loss against Arsenal was a fulcrum where the club could have either won and pushed on to dominance or, as it turned out, lost and became a team of nearly men. This year's FA Cup final went on to support that. Here we have another opportunity to change things for the good. The team when we won in Munich had paid its dues and the players' force of will and personality pulled us through to glory, their names forever being held in the highest regard.

Tonight we have a team of youngsters, none of whom will have the same desperation the likes of Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard and Drogba had, aware as they were of the fleeting opportunities to achieve greatness. They need to play their hearts out and I fear if even only one player has an off night we will be found wanting as a team once again. If we lose I believe Tuchel's reign will be short lived, possibly not making Christmas if we're not challenging for the league. The Euros mean that the off season will be extremely truncated again and if the players return to Cobham having lost the ultimate prize tonight I don't think we will start the season off very well at all.

Ours has been a recent history of "nearly" achieving something tangible, of "scraping" into the top four, of getting ourselves in to the position where we can win something then snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. When I watched us playing last season I didn't see a team of winners. I saw us being very lucky regarding the matches we had to play, opposition that played poorly or with weakened sides and games that turned on moments of individual brilliance. When we lost in Moscow it didn't hurt as much as it might have been as we were winning trophies else where, league titles, FA or League cups. Tonight is pivotal as we have not won anything for a while, and worse, most of these players have just lost things. It's a mindset and if we want the players to progress we need to win this game tonight. Losing can become a habit.

As you can tell I'm pessimistic about our chances tonight. City come into the game with a point to prove and I don't believe Tuchel can out manage Pep. I've got everything crossed. I just hope our players have stored away the performance of their lives for this game.

To be honest, I agree with a lot of this. I have been saying for a while now that we remind me a lot of Wenger's Arse post 2004. For me, we have two serious issues: first is that we are far too lightweight (a athletic/strong CM is an absolute must, alongside a proper No.9) and the second is our mentality which seems to be that we accept our defeats as somewhat expected. Both things need to change asap. 

As for tonight however, I am pretty relaxed for this one. I personally never expected to reach the final this season and City are the better side. For me, I just want us to give it our all and I will be happy as I recognise our limitations. Although, I just hope that we do not fluff lots of chances like we usually do as those are things nightmares are made of. 

I think I have said it elsewhere, but I reckon the score today will be 3-0 or 3-1 City. However, I think it may be one of those games where it is only 1-0/1-1 to the 80th minute then gets taken away a little when the second goes in. 

As for the team, my final choice would be as follows: 

Mendy

AC Silva Rudi

Dave Kante Jorgi Chilwell

Mount Puli

Werner

If AC is not fit then go for James at RWB and Dave at RCB. This one however, is more one I think TT will pick as I see him being concerned about the WB's of City. Personally, I would probably start Dave at RCB and James at RWB.