• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Manchester City 0 CHELSEA 1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2020/21

Me and the people I travelled with received the NHS 10 day isolation text/call today! Obviously someone's day 2 test came back positive on the flight. Just adds to the story and the occasion! Lol 

Blue Rod   
3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

True, but it also comes down to racing the engine as right close to the max.  Some of that is motivational powers, some is sheer bloody mindedness.  That is why I keep coming back to top jockeys and motor car racers.  They push to the limit because they are win or bust.  They really don't care if they fall off or spin, or the nag can't race again or the engine is blown.  They won't accept consistent moderate performances but they will accept the odd disaster.

When have we needed such managers?  2004, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 16, 20, 21

11, 12, 13, 18, 19 were transitional years.  15 & 17 were Fxxx ups with 19 over 21 players in 2015 (inlcuding crocked CFs and all 3 GKs) and about 30 average over21s in 2017.

That is why I was so surprised SFL was kept on last summer.  the transfer deals suggested we were ready for the big time again.

Your analysis is essentially correct, Droy. Keeping SFL that long shows what happens when sentiments gets in the way of a well rehearsed strategy. I think the decision makers at Chelsea had to make a tight calculation about the timing of SFL sacking, (number matches left, what can be rescued, PL, CL, FA, etc) They had to balance the sentiments of those who think he was going to turn things around, against their conviction that he hasn't proven himself. They are masters of that game, we can now say.

I get more worried when failing managers start selling and buying players. Replacing a manager is easy when compared to building a team of hardened, committed players.  

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

This is why I don't understand the platitude in football culture that there is something virtuous about keeping managers on long term even if they aren't delivering. Our trophy delivery suggests our way of doing things is correct and there isn't any less solidarity amongst the players, management staff nor fans just because we haven't had the same manager for 10-20 years. 

I think people are stuck in the 90s/early 00s Pre-Roman Era and judge everything through the lens of Ferguson and Wenger. 

None of the big successful clubs in Europe keeps managers who don't deliver in the hope that after 5 seasons they'll come good. It's a practice for clubs that only look at their finances - revenue stream is healthy, so why upset the apple cart mentality. RA is a fan. He wants to win trophies. It makes a whole lot of difference. In Spain, the fans elect club Presidents, and they must perform, win things - another difference. 

1 hour ago, Erland Johnson said:

Me and the people I travelled with received the NHS 10 day isolation text/call today! Obviously someone's day 2 test came back positive on the flight. Just adds to the story and the occasion! Lol 

What flight number were you on?

10 minutes ago, East Lower said:

What flight number were you on?

I was just thinking the same….

I checked the Eurofins website and my day 2 test says “awaiting results”

Overall though I’m feeling Champion 😉

2 hours ago, Lea Blue4 said:

I was just thinking the same….

I checked the Eurofins website and my day 2 test says “awaiting results”

Overall though I’m feeling Champion 😉

Think I avoided the one with the problem, although still awaiting my 2 day test result. 

On your other reply to me, never a problem helping out lads (and lasses) on here. Didn’t realise I did actually 😂

1 hour ago, Erland Johnson said:

We were flight 8. 7.35 out and 2.05 return..

Thanks for this, we were on a 7:15am out and a bloomin late one on the way back

Holymoly   
7 hours ago, Stim said:

Eh it's missing Jose Bosingwa front and center

Hah! Yeah, that always irritated me back in 2012.