• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Euro (2020) 2021

The country of my blood qualified for this tournament in a group with France. We drew 1-1 and beat them 2-0. We recently beat Holland 4-2 in WC qualifying and we have several players playing in and getting plaudits in the top leagues. It's the most optimistic I have ever been for Turkey going into a tournament and I seriously believe we can challenge to win the whole thing itself. We will not be an easy game for anyone. 

The country of my birth has an embarrassment of riches. I don't believe any other country has the same dilemma that England's squad trimming poses, so so many players of high quality who are set to miss out. I sadly can't judge based on qualification games as England haven't played any team of note throughout those, but it's England's best prospects before a tournament I have ever seen and with such a young average age too. 

My dream, as it has been for my whole life. England vs Turkey at Wembley and in this tournament it could happen in Last 16, Semis or ...well it can't surely? 

On 5/31/2021 at 7:22 AM, CarefreeMuratcan said:

The country of my blood qualified for this tournament in a group with France. We drew 1-1 and beat them 2-0. We recently beat Holland 4-2 in WC qualifying and we have several players playing in and getting plaudits in the top leagues. It's the most optimistic I have ever been for Turkey going into a tournament and I seriously believe we can challenge to win the whole thing itself. We will not be an easy game for anyone. 

The country of my birth has an embarrassment of riches. I don't believe any other country has the same dilemma that England's squad trimming poses, so so many players of high quality who are set to miss out. I sadly can't judge based on qualification games as England haven't played any team of note throughout those, but it's England's best prospects before a tournament I have ever seen and with such a young average age too. 

My dream, as it has been for my whole life. England vs Turkey at Wembley and in this tournament it could happen in Last 16, Semis or ...well it can't surely? 

same here, just in my case it's Austria and no embarrassment of riches, mostly just embarrassment. Let's see what tomorrow brings and we take it from there

1 hour ago, GianfrancoZola said:

same here, just in my case it's Austria and no embarrassment of riches, mostly just embarrassment. Let's see what tomorrow brings and we take it from there

loool. Well with the 24 team format and 3rd place having a 4/6 chance of progressing, you'll probably be ok. 

Turkey did that last time and ended up as the 2/6 of 3rd place that didn't progress :(

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan

Holymoly   

Not a huge fan of international football I have to say, but it was pleasing to see Mason, Ben and Reece have been allocated their Chelsea squad numbers by England.

• Like 1

So, how do people think England will line up in the euros? 

Personally, I’d be going for (4141);

Henderson; James, McGuire, Stones, Chilwell; Rice; Sterling, Mount, Grealish, Foden; Kane

Perhaps a bit too attacking and if Henderson is fit to play maybe swap Sterling for Henderson and play a more settled 4231. 

JaneB   
3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Not a huge fan of international football I have to say, but it was pleasing to see Mason, Ben and Reece have been allocated their Chelsea squad numbers by England.

Nor me it has to be said, unless Chelsea players are involved of course (for any country).

Holymoly   

As well as not being a huge fan of international football, I've clearly not got a horse in the race regarding England per sé either.

However.

What the actually **** does Gareth Southgate think he's doing regarding taking McGuire, Henderson, and now Alexander-Arnold who are all either carrying injuries or else have no fitness for an international tournament? Has he not learned anything from Beckham, Rooney, Wilshere etc? It's not like there aren't plenty of ready replacements for these players. Indeed there is an overload of right backs already.

chara   

I never thought I'd see the day that I'd hope England miss a penalty.....they scored of course and missed the genuine one.

Not that I was undecided but Grealish once again, to my mind anyway, cheated a penalty and showed once more , again to me, what a t**d of a player he is...all the "acclaimed" skill in the World can't hide a cheat.

Sciatika   
On 03/06/2021 at 11:59 AM, Holymoly said:

As well as not being a huge fan of international football, I've clearly not got a horse in the race regarding England per sé either.

However.

What the actually **** does Gareth Southgate think he's doing regarding taking McGuire, Henderson, and now Alexander-Arnold who are all either carrying injuries or else have no fitness for an international tournament? Has he not learned anything from Beckham, Rooney, Wilshere etc? It's not like there aren't plenty of ready replacements for these players. Indeed there is an overload of right backs already.

He knows that the most important in football is support, especially for an England manager. He has to pick players from Man Utd and Liverpool because they are the most supported clubs in England. An England manager never picks the most talented players for the squad or a team of players most able to work together to get results, but rather a team that satisfies the prejudices of a media that slavishly follow narratives. We have known this since Hudson was ignored by Alf Ramsey or the desperate attempts to squeeze the likes of St. Stevie or Paul Scholes into an England midfield despite the penchant of the former for losing possession by ill-judged long balls and the second for scissor tackles. I stopped watching them after the 2006 finals because I could see that the England team had not substantially changed in my lifetime and probably never would. I can't see the point anymore.