• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Euro (2020) 2021

15 minutes ago, kennypaul said:

have you seen the politicians weighing in though on Rashford? what do you think the rationale is there? in the current environment of smoke and mirrors anything is possible for sure, but politicians such as Elphicke  and political commentators like Darren Grimes leave Me very suspicious.

She (Elphicke) apologised.  
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-England-kent-57807264

I have no idea if the Rashford comment really was a private message to colleagues or not.  She has some unpleasant enemies if it was.  

In a private message to her colleagues, Ms Elphicke said: "They lost - would it be ungenerous to suggest Rashford should have spent more time perfecting his game and less time playing politics." 

The MP apologised after the message was reported by GB News.

bert19   
21 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Similar scenario to Euro 96 penalty shootout, the self named “Guvnor” (Paul Ince) never stepped up to take a penalty and instead allowed a defender with no record of penalty taking to do it. Same result.

I do seem to remember him stepping up himself and taking a crap penalty in 98 though. 

Ham   
5 hours ago, bert19 said:

I do seem to remember him stepping up himself and taking a crap penalty in 98 though. 

I'll never understand any professional footballer in any position not being able to take a penalty.

You're being asked to kick a ball into the net against a goalkeeper.

I've seen plenty of shoot-outs recently where double figures of players on either side successfully put them away, including the keepers.  

chara   
1 hour ago, Ham said:

I'll never understand any professional footballer in any position not being able to take a penalty.

You're being asked to kick a ball into the net against a goalkeeper.

I've seen plenty of shoot-outs recently where double figures of players on either side successfully put them away, including the keepers.  

Funny thing Ham..depending on where you are standing..I can assure you on the goal line the ball looks very very close....behind the ball the goal looks a long way away!

I think the "mind games" can take over.....(see Jorge's miss) BUT it is their job to kick a ball properly....having said that Gareth must have had some sort of brain splat.

Two players on without even a touch of the ball as far as can be seen...absolute madness.... 

chara   

Time to move on from here but a thought from me and a question...the general concensus on here has been broadly uniform.....most of have said something like hard luck etc now back to the REAL game and ..in our case ..Chelsea....I don't look at other club forums but is it the same with most Real club fans elsewhere? ...as opposed to the lunatic  (not so) fringe.

I seem to be spending a lot of time on the forum due to being inside more than is common in Summer as we are going through an unusually unsettled weather pattern in Colorado and at present dealing with a lot of smoke from bad fires in California (and Colorado) so apologies!

Liam w   
On 12/07/2021 at 9:27 PM, Worsebytheday said:

Also joses comment about a player who refused to take a penalty in a shoot out in the last World Cup..he said he would have been in the squad 100%.... Rumours this was Ali or Lingard

I saw this and instantly thought if it wasn't for this would Saka, Rushford or sancho refused to take a penalty? would any of them of said sorry gaffa but my legs are jelly I don't think I am up to it. None of them would of said that if their international career would of ended at that moment. Southgate interviews well and comes across as humble but how much of a dictator is he behind closed doors? I know its if ands and butts. Whats done is done but I can't help but wonder. Still if I had to choose between the chels winning the CL and England winning the Euros we all got the right outcome

Sciatika   

At some level, you need to be a bit of a dictator to be successful. But probably not in the case. I was surprised when Anelka wasn't one of the first five in 2008 CL final and then when he did, it was explained.

chara   
2 hours ago, Liam w said:

I saw this and instantly thought if it wasn't for this would Saka, Rushford or sancho refused to take a penalty? would any of them of said sorry gaffa but my legs are jelly I don't think I am up to it. None of them would of said that if their international career would of ended at that moment. Southgate interviews well and comes across as humble but how much of a dictator is he behind closed doors? I know its if ands and butts. Whats done is done but I can't help but wonder. Still if I had to choose between the chels winning the CL and England winning the Euros we all got the right outcome

Good points....I have never seen the point in hammering any player for missing a penalty...whats done is done...spot on (no pun..well maybe!)..a team wins together and loses together....

The racial element bemuses me but doesn't surprise..... if any "censure" was forthcoming from me it would be on the lines of..."Manure/Arse" players fumbled and an excuse to dig at the fans up Norf...(both National and London!)