• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/08/under-21s-host-city-in-campaign-kick-off-.html?WT.mc_id=social_20140815_29808006

First game for the U21s tonight. Interesting to see if fringe first-teamers Aké and Christensen will be involved.

Might also be a chance to see if pre-season AWOLs Blackman and Feruz are still involved - Blackman hasn't been seen anywhere and Feruz hasn't made it into the U21 photo (or been involved in any matches).

Either Blackman is livid that we will go into next season with 3 foreign keepers, or he is being kept hidden while we bluff the intention of keeping all 3 to drive up the price for the one we will actually sell.

Harvz    1

Great finish to the game. Love to see that the fighting spirit goes down through the levels at the club. Good continuation to the drama at the end of last season's youth runs.

Yeah, thought we deserved the win. Impressed by Christensen, was calmness personified as usual. Loftus-Cheek is a real unit and gradually grew into the game. Going forward I thought Boga provided real impetus and Musonda provided a spark from the bench.

bluepuma    0

I wonder how many of our potential stars of tomorrow this article applies to?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11042361/Love-of-money-is-at-the-root-of-all-evil-for-promising-young-players-in-England.html

I do hope that the most (only?) successful product of our academy for the last few years does not turn out to be the one who left football altogether (I.e. Adam Gemili?. Fair play to him, he seems to be really dedicated and a likeable guy, and deserves the success he's now getting.

Harvz    1

15 year old kid tearing up the (admittedly weak) Norwegian top division. Making his international debut soon.

Not Chelsea youth, but interesting none the less. Wonder how Boga would do over there... I'd say very well.

Juni    4

Boga would do well in the Premier League right now tbh. There's at least half a dozen boys at Chelsea who would have 50+ PL appearances by now if they were at a Southampton or something, but there are different requirements here.

Boga would do well in the Premier League right now tbh. There's at least half a dozen boys at Chelsea who would have 50+ PL appearances by now if they were at a Southampton or something, but there are different requirements here.

Bertrand. Atsu (though he was pretty much a grown up when we got him).

But then I struggle to see who you mean.

A couple will play 50+ PL games eventually (or equiv. elsewhere). Omeruo, Traore, Zouma (if he counts) and Todd Kane. But only in the long term. Even at Southamption they wouldn't be starting every week yet. And I reckon if any of them had been offered a PL loan with chances of starts they would be there now.

Bridcutt and Cork might have done if they'd moved to a PL team at the right time, but they are both 25 and left 4 years ago.

And the 50+ target is high - Southampton have only played 76 PL matches in 9 seasons. Even Cork has only started 49 games (though +7 as as sub). .

Boga I disagree. I don't claim to know much about Boga, but I do know what lower half PL clubs need from young midfield players. Blistering pace on the wings or the physicality of a 25 year old (Jonjo Shelvey or the young Catermole). They don't want budding Juan Matas. As can be seen by the fate of Josh and Kakuta at PL teams.

paulw66    523

What is your definition of 'boy'? There aren't many 18 or 19 year olds anywhere in the EPL who have played 50 games.

There was a discussion on whether Ake is tall enough to develop as a CB here (thread now closed).

I'd like to append this to it, and this seems the right thread to continue in.

BvefyKJIIAAgDLT.jpg

more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2729437/Chelsea-s-powerhouses-measured-tallest-team-opening-Premier-League-weekend-Arsenal-s-pocket-rockets-smallest.html

paulw66    523

There was a discussion on whether Ake is tall enough to develop as a CB here (thread now closed).

I'd like to append this to it, and this seems the right thread to continue in.

BvefyKJIIAAgDLT.jpg

more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2729437/Chelsea-s-powerhouses-measured-tallest-team-opening-Premier-League-weekend-Arsenal-s-pocket-rockets-smallest.html

So he can play CB for Arsenal? :-)

That is quite revealing that they are the shortest and lightest team.

When we line up with Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, Matic, Schurrle and Costa in the team, with Fabregas' delivery = that will take some stopping.