• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

quote:Originally posted by Droy was my hero

I really doubt whether any of our youngsters would be on loan to a division 1 club (Bournemouth) or Division 2 (Anthony Grant at Wycombe) if they were still thought of as promising for Chelsea. They are just being put on display to help them on their way.

Indeed I doubt if Mancienne or Smith can see playing at QPR in 20th place in the Championship as progress. For Diarra it would be a disaster (sounds extemely unlikely).

I suspect that these loan moves are more to do with the inlux of foreign youths under Arnesen, and the limited number of coathooks in the Cobham changing rooms.

id="quote">

id="quote">I'm not sure I agree with this.

At present the reserve league is a shambles. There are only about 9/10 teams in it and therefore little opportunity for playing competitive football unless loan arrangements are made.

Playing in Div 1 or Div 2 is a step up. Matches are fiercely competitive and crowds will be bigger; atmosphere better.

I agree that most of the players currently on loan will never make it at Chelsea, given the Arneson revolution of our recruitment of young talent. However, I simply do not see any alternative to loan arrangements as part of natural progression for opur young players.

quote:Originally posted by dooder12

> So its 4 promising players gaining experience (on loan) at the present moment. It should do them alot of good.

I really doubt whether any of our youngsters would be on loan to a division 1 club (Bournemouth) or Division 2 (Anthony Grant at Wycombe) if they were still thought of as promising for Chelsea. They are just being put on display to help them on their way.

Indeed I doubt if Mancienne or Smith can see playing at QPR in 20th place in the Championship as progress. For Diarra it would be a disaster (sounds extemely unlikely).

I suspect that these loan moves are more to do with the inlux of foreign youths under Arnesen, and the limited number of coathooks in the Cobham changing rooms.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Betrand and Jack Cork are both 17 and England U-19 internationals. Both are highly rated and two of the best players in our current Reserve squad. Both will learn well from this experience. Mancienne and Smith will be put on display and if they do well they will be retained. There situation is wholy differnet different from Grants as he was loaned out immediatley to a division 2 club, and he's already 19. It all for experience, playing with men in real matches as opposed to Reserves, were the pressures of playing in front of cameras and the crowd come into affect.

I do think that the loans will allow us to see people from the youth teams step up into reserves to replace the people who have left.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Good response Dooder. These loans are not to put the player on view, with a move to selling them. Not at all. The reasons you give above are all true. They will also have to adapt to working with a new coach's methods of training and preparing for games. It also helps them to improve socially, not having all guys of their age around them. The whole loan expierience is about gaining some insight into the football world. So far, they have enojoyed a pretty easy time of it. Now they will get thrown in against sly, expierienced players, and they will have to adapt. If they have the ability, the loans will improve them as overall footballers, even if they don't enjoy much team success, or even personal success. It's all about the expierience.

Can anyone tell me if Jack Cork played in defence as in midfield for Bournemouth. The loans of Bertrand and Cork should open up some opportunities for Elmer, and perhaps Bridcutt, to get reserve team games.

What lads do you think are actually going to make it, like JT has from the Youth/Reserves. Scott Sinclair looks very promising, and would suit the way we play. Mancienne looks a glass player aswell, reminds me of Rio Ferdinand!

Juni   

This morning's game

Chelsea 1-2 Ipswich

Chelsea should've won this game really, controlled a lot of the game but got tired and slack in the second half and some sloppy defending saw two late Ipswich goals.

Chelsea started well, having a lot of early ball, and Liam Bridcutt hit the post from 25 yards out with a left footed effort. A minute later Miro Stoch was fouled in the area and a penalty was given. Stoch convinced Cummings to let him have the penalty, and with much style he dispatched it Panenka-style, chipping it right down the middle with the goalie diving away.

Chelsea carried on in general control, Cummings hit the underside of the bar with a clipped shot, and both Cummings and Nielsen drew good saves at the near post from Ipswich goalie Plummer. Lee Sawyer, back from a ban, was lucky not to get sent off again for a silly and dangerous tackle from behind on Jack Ainsley (who reacted but the referee didn't see a sly jab to the face). Sawyer was booked.

In the second half Chelsea had the play to put the game away but a lack of discipline by the strikers saw numerous offside calls against the forwards, which disrupted the flow and control of the game. Ipswich grew in stature and got their equaliser with around 20 minutes to go. Ainsley beat Hurrell on the left and flicked in a low ball towards the goal which was turned past Russell by the unfortunate Worley. Ipswich were clearly feeling they had the win in their sights and threw on Kieran Leabon, who was a class above anything else they had out there and was impressive in both attack and defence. It was his play down Hurrell's side again which led to the winner. A cross/shot to the near post wasn't dealt with properly by Russell and Ed Upson bundled the ball over the line.

Desperate, Chelsea tried to get back into the game, and had a massive appeal for a penalty turned down late when Cummings rounded the goalie and was felled, but no call was forthcoming. Ipswich won, and they can say they deserved it. Expect Ruud Kaiser to talk about mental focus and taking chances at 1-0 to tie the game up long before the opponent can come back into it.

Team: Russell, Sawyer (Ofori), Worley, Hutchinson, Hurrell, Elmer, Bridcutt©, Fernandes (Saarelma), Nielsen (Sahar), Stoch, Cummings

Goals: Stoch (7th of the season)

Booked: Sawyer

id="quote">

id="quote">

What do you find strange about players going out on loan? Most players go out on loan early in their careers to gain proper match experience. Competitive Championship football is definitely more useful to a player’s development than reserve games, so is division one football for that matter.

Frank Lampard spent time on loan at Swansea (who he supports) and Terry was on loan to Nottingham Forrest. Zola started his career in the remote regions of Italy’s Serie D, playing for clubs called Nuoerese and Turris (had to look them up).

Of course the loan moves are good for our players and although the probability is that the vast majority of them won’t be good enough to play for Chelsea, you are completely wrong that the loans indicate that fact.

Jimmy Smith is playing really well at the moment. He has scored twice so far today and is playing really fantastic. Mancienne is also in the starting line-up.

Great to see Jimmy Smith doing well at QPR, scored another 2 today. Mancienne also played in the game! Championship level is a high standard, if he can do that from midfield, week in week out then I think Jose should give him a chance soon after he returns!

Alan1989   

I asked my mate who's a Palace fan to keep an eye on Mancienne and Smith today for me, will have to wait and see what he says.

Jimmy Smith seems to be doing really well, is that 4 goals he's got now, and 1 or 2 of them have been crackers from what I've heard.

Surely Jose will have taken note of how he is progressing and give him a chance in some games this season? I want to see how Jose handles young players and its about time we had a youth product come good.

At the moment Jimmy is on loan until December.

If he comes back after that and we get a game at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup Third Round against a team from a much lower division, then as long as he's back, he may possibly be involved in the first team squad then. Talking of cracking goals, his first ever goal for Chelsea reserves was a 25 yard volley against Ipswich reserves at Portman Road.

It was a blinder.